How To? Pending Pup And The Cat Litter Tray...

Aztec Gold

Ok, so as you know, we might be getting a golden retriever pup sometime mid August.

We also have a 10 week old kitten who uses her litter tray in the Laundry, which is where our back door is, and the door we will be teaching the pup to use the toilet in the back yard from.

The laundry is also off from the kitchen, so is in plain sight all day, and there is no other appropriate place to put the cat litter tray.

Questions!!

1. Will the pup be likely to have a thing for digging in the litter and spreading it EVERYWHERE? (I'm guessing YES!! It is breeders choice litter, so not a silica based or clumping litter, so it shouldn't hurt if it's accidentally ingested!)

2. How can we curb the pup from heading there?

3. Any other ideas??

Thank you!!!!! :)

Bugger digging and making a mess. If your pup is anything like my dogs it's the kitty nuggets he will be going for!!

Can you put the litter up higher, like on a bench, with some way for kitten to climb up? Or build a small barricade around it?

Put the litter tray in the toilet and use a baby gate that the can walk through.

Being in the toilet it makes for easy disposal of the cat poo and litter as breeders choice is compressed paper.

Guest Willow

We moved our cats litter trays (we have three cats and 4 trays) into an outside enclosed run because the dogs would eat the cat poo.

I second putting the tray up high....do you have a benchtop in the laundry? Or alternatively, under the bench but behind a barricade (like a baby gate or something) which has gaps big enough for the cat to get through, but not the dog, or even in an unused cupboard with a cat flap put in the door.

Slightly OT, but a funny story nevertheless....I had to put a cat tray in the bathroom not so long ago....one of the cats toileting was being observed for medical reasons, so I needed his tray seperate. I was in the shower, and the curtain is partially see through. Our Staffy thought the tray had been left unattended, and crept as silently as he could into the bathroom, and up to the tray. I watched him & said nothing util he was a whisker away from grabbing a poo, and then said really quietly, "Jarrah, leave it"....he nearly hit the roof he was so surprised, and RAN out of the bathrrom :rofl:

This is why I no longer own cats. My house doesn't have anywhere I can put a litter tray out of reach of dogs. Last time we had a cat one of the dogs was constantly making itself ill on cat poo, so no more cats here.

Unfortunately, the only way to keep the dog out of the litter tray is to completely block access to it.

Why is it they do that? Eat cat poo that is. It turns my stomach to see this....I love dogs but this is the grossest habit all dogs seem to have....gross gross gross

Tasty kitty lamingtons!

I agree with the others, put the tray somewhere that the cat/s can get to it to do their business, but the dogs can't get to it to sample the "cat truffles". Baby gates, hooded litter trays, trays up high, behind doors etc.

Definitely try and get it up high if you can.

My Goldie is obsessed with our cat's poo. We thought we had it sorted by putting the tray under the claw foot bath, and squeezed next to the toilet. But no, she still would emerge from the bathroom- crunch crunch crunch (we had silicon litter). Blergh, it's so gross...

In the end we dispensed with the litter tray. Our cat is 15 and doesn't stray from our yard so it wasn't a problem.

Funnily enough I don't find any kitty nuggets outside though... :laugh:

At least the dog isnt eating the litter though.

My lab took ages to stop eating cat poo out the litter but now he is really good. I just kept punishing him when i caught him stealing it!! My friends 9 month old chi x stays with us occasionally and he is terrible as he steals it and takes it to the carpet to eat and makes a huge mess!!

Eating poo is gross, but I think I'd be more concerned about that cat - it could feel vulnerable if the pup could access the box, & may decide not to use the litter box. It sometimes only takes one bad litter box experience for a cat to decide never to use that particular spot again.

Having it up high or through a baby gate is a great idea.

I have several litter trays and we have always just put a very cheap hook and eye on the doors at the top so sort of not noticable. It's easy, cheap and only leaves a small gap for the cats to get through but not the dogs (unless you have chi's..LOL). I put a hook on the door and the 'eye' on the door frame. Great also if anyone rents as it's easy to fix after. I suppose if you have children or cannot reach high you'd just put it at the right height. It's only a couple of dollars...good luck!

up high would never wowrk for us, I had wolfhounds...and also now my vizsla can get ANYWHERE, also have an 18 year old Devon who would never be able to jump up to a high tray...

Edited by Monah

When we first got our greyhound we would put her muzzle on when she was in the garden and the cats were out, just to be on the safe side ;) Anyway she would hunt cat poo down in the garden and try to eat it through the muzzle - can you imagine how nice that was to clean up, claggy scottish mud mixed in with sticky cat poo :vomit:

We had a cat door put into a small box that sits on our back deck - it is screened/shielded from the weather, but lets the litter sit outside effectively. Dogs can't get in there and the smell from the litter is not in the house.

The puppy decided after two hasty trips back out of the box (by the scruff) that it was not a good place to play. :D

We have an indoor only cat, am yet to convince oh that he needs to build a run, so for now our cat lives inside. I also have a cat crap obsessed dog however with very short legs (dachshund) so I keep the tray in the bath. Seems to be working well. :)