Retirement Breeds.

Blackdogs

My favourite breeds are high-energy working breeds and they're the type I tend to stick to. However, being realistic, I'll probably need to consider a breed that is less demanding when I get older.

So far, I think a low-drive Smooth Collie would probably suit my needs the best, but wonder what breeds others would choose for their 'retirement' dogs so that I might add to my list. :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what my next Akita is like. (Kyojin's my first, so I can't be sure that what he's like is what the next one will be like). If the next one's anything like Kyojin, then I can't see any reason why I wouldn't have an Akita even at retirement age. He doesn't need much exercise so for walks I could hire someone to be a dog walker for me. Which isn't really an issue since I don't walk him now. OH always holds the leash since Kyojin's so strong. He doesn't pull or anything, but we just know that if I walk him and he DOES pull, I'm going to be hopeless. :laugh: Other than that, I can't see an Akita being too difficult to manage.

I plan on having at least one Rottweiler for as long as I can handle them. I will always have some Pugs - but I promised myself many years ago that my retirement dog(s) will be retired/reject greyhound(s) from GAP - this is the only thing I look forward to when I am OLD.... can't slow down the aging process, but do look forward to a greyhound or two :D.

A Cav has always appealed. With some of the other breeds I am considering for my next dog, I wouldn't be 'downsizing', not that size matters in terms of energy levels. But I'm thinking more of a breed where we would just potter around doing stuff, and going for nice relaxing walks, but not as full on with the training activities as I once may have been.

I've finally figured out that I am a small dog person at heart, as much as I admire other breeds.

I've been trying to convince my parents to get an older ACD to herd my 84 year-old grandmother's cows, so grandma doesn't have to be out there chasing the neighbour's bull off with a stick! :eek: (true story)

Of course they might not have your typical retirement.

:eek: about that age already! Nothing will change for me.... :D

Too close for comfort for me too although I will probably have to work till I'm in my 70's. :eek:

Any further dogs I have will be adults so that leaves it pretty open but I'm leaning towards rough collie; sheltie, Tibetan Spaniel, Cavalier / King Charles Spaniel or greyhound

But I'm also thinking of giving myself a break from some vacuuming and a poodle or bichon frise are looking tempting too.

I'm getting there too.......funny this subject came up now, just this past weekend my friend and I were discussing our "old lady" breeds. Mine might be a collie, a blue merle girl. But if I go for something smaller, I'd probably go for a Tibetan Terrier.

I was actually thinking that by the time I will be getting my next dog I will (touch wood) be in my 50s.

Which means I will have to consider that I will be in my 60s for the next one. :eek:

I used to think I'd have to get a lower energy dog, but I think lower maintenance is probably more accurate- I hope to be active til the day I die.

So it'll be short hair after the GR. And I prefer large breeds.

Jeez that still doesnt hugely narrow the field of my wish list!! :laugh:

So many breeds so little time...