Car Sick Dogs?

Rainy

Is there anything out there to help car sick dogs?

A friend of mine is heading to canberra and she was going to give her lab x goldy some benadryl for the tip iv never heard of this before so i told her not to without checking with a vet first.

Iv not had a problem with car sicknes before so i thought its time to learn and ask the DOL brains trust :D

There is a new drug out called cerenia available from your vet. It is a tablet and is meant to work very very well. However, it is quite expensive. Not sure about the stuff you mentioned.

I would not feed the dog before traveling - less to vomit up. Maybe a crate to travel in. Short trips before you travel to get the dog used to traveling might help.

I hope the trip is not to far. Poor puppy.

My little boy Rocky was prone to sickness but I have found that short car trips help alot - just think of it as part of dog training. I would take him to the park in the car for a walk and play, which put a good association with it. Also do not feed the puppy prior to the trip, at least two hours prior. Also if the puppy is crate trained and it can fit in the car, take it as it will give the puppy security.

I can now travel two hours in the car to my parents and Rocky just sleeps in his crate for the trip.

Good luck.

Is there anything out there to help car sick dogs?

One of our dogs gets car sick but only when subjected to mild G force eg a really humpy or winding road. If we know we may encounter this sort of road on a highway where we can't slow down, we feed him crystallised ginger about 15 minutes before and then a piece every 5 or so minutes during. Getting him as close to the front of the car as possible also helps. If we are in a built up area or on a multilane road where we can go slower, we put up a sign in the rear window saying "Car sick dog, please pass". Other drivers seem to appreciate that we are going slow for a reason, not to annoy them.

Blackmores Travel calm ginger tablets. One tablet 30minutes before travel then every two hours whilst driving.

Swear by these they have made a world of difference to my girl who suffers from car sickness - she's almost 5 now and we only discovered these about 6 months ago and our life is so much easier.

My Maremma puppies always get car sick .So before I take them to the vet I always give them pills from the vet .The trip is 55 kilomtres. A new vet opened in this town recently which puts me 3 ks away from them so I thought Id be safe taking them to the vet without them spewing all over each other.

Nup new vet and up chuck everywhere. Even worse on the trip back home. Gross 13 pups covered in yuk. So now every single pup thats going home gets a pill - it doesnt knock em out just calms em down and that works like a charm. Last time the vet offered me the new drug but the old one works well and its cheaper so Ive stuck with that

<Last time the vet offered me the new drug but the old one works well and its cheaper so Ive stuck with that>

And what is that, Steve? I've tried Maxalon with Vienna but it didn't stop the upchuck. No I tell a lie - it worked the first time.

<Last time the vet offered me the new drug but the old one works well and its cheaper so Ive stuck with that>

And what is that, Steve? I've tried Maxalon with Vienna but it didn't stop the upchuck. No I tell a lie - it worked the first time.

Promex

Yep same problem here - when I first got my girl westie Sarah, as a four year old she hated the car, sick, trembling and utterly miserable. Managed to get her to the vet who suggested the following - and it worked like a charm...

1. Reward for getting in the car and sit there with her... repeat a number of times. When she's handling this OK...

2. Turn on the engine and sit in the drive until she's used to the engine noise.

3. Drive up and down the drive as many times as it takes to get her comfortable.

4. Drive out the drive and to the next block/street and back as many times as it takes.

5. Drive to the park three blocks away - let her out to have a run and associate the car with good things

6. Drive to a further park...

7. Drive to an even further park...

8. Drive her to the vet when she's not actually got an appointment and get one of the vet nurses to give her a treat.

9. And so on... continue to take her further and further to nice places...

I also found elevating her on a foam cushion so she could look out helped a lot.

Before her first long trip to the Clare Valley 2 hours away I also didn't give her any breakfast and gave her the Blackmore's Travel Calm (ginger stuff) half an hour before we left in the car - and that seemed to help too.

Sarah can now do long car trips without difficulty - the only roads she still doesn't like are really windy... and even on them she just lies as flat as she can get and doesn't move...

Hope that helps... :)

Blackmores Travel calm ginger tablets. One tablet 30minutes before travel then every two hours whilst driving.

Swear by these they have made a world of difference to my girl who suffers from car sickness - she's almost 5 now and we only discovered these about 6 months ago and our life is so much easier.

These sound like a good idea kathq.I would like to try something herbal for my greyhound girl as she gets terribly car sick.