Letter To The Editor - Death Of Abandoned Dog

HollyMilo

Letter to the editor in todays Courier Mail. A very sad story detailing how the actions of a pathetic dog owner have affected more than just their poor dog. :(

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/death-of-an-abandoned-dog/story-e6frerdf-1226159536801?sv=f486076e7f47f1e7885514613e0eb82

TO THE driver of the sedan: I thought you might be interested to know the outcome of your actions at 7pm last Sunday.

Needless to say, while you thought what you were doing affected only you and your dog, the after-effects continue to reverberate in waves of sadness, grief and shock for many of us.

My learner-driver daughter saw you push your dog from your car, pulled over on the side of Eumundi-Noosa Road. You probably thought no one would notice. I only wish I had thought to notice more and take down your licence details.

But we all saw you pull out in front of us without indicating and leave your bewildered, frightened dog in the half light in an unfamiliar place.

It was at my 17-year-old daughter's request that we turned around a moment later, to see if we could help your dog, to keep him safe, to let him know not all humans are as cold and heartless as you had just shown yourself to be.

We pulled to the side of the road near your frantic pet.

My husband, daughter and I all got out of the car, torch in hand, calling to your terrified, beautiful dog as it weaved and ran in the direction that your tail lights had taken. A dog's love is as unconditional as it is sometimes misplaced, it seems.

My daughter and husband were right there when your dog ran in front of a car, driven by a young man.

He became another unwilling victim of your dreadful act.

My animal-loving daughter's heart broke as she heard two bangs and a whimper - the sounds of your dog's death.

She will never forget that and I know that a part of her will never be the same.

Are you starting to see the ripple effect now?

Can you see that your decision to dump a living creature on the side of the road hurt more than just him?

I can't pretend to know what would make a person do something so cruel as to dump a pet.

Maybe your dog was too demanding or too much responsibility. Maybe you just got sick of him.

But to leave him alone in the dark, in a strange place where cars fly by at 80km/h, is inhuman, illogical and callous. It could only have ended in tears.

We didn't know your healthy-looking, beautiful dog. But we are traumatised at his loss. My daughter and I have cried buckets for this creature and the way he died.

I witnessed the five minutes he lived after you drove away. I saw him running, scared. I arrived as he lay dying on the roadside and I was with him, patting him, as he died.

That he did not die alone is small consolation. At the end, at least he knew the love of a caring human's touch.

My husband's hands were covered in your beautiful dog's blood as he carried him off the road so that at least he would not suffer the indignity of being hit by more cars and so more drivers would not be traumatised by running over his corpse.

The young man whose car hit your dog was shattered. Unlike you, he had no choice in the situation in which he was placed. He said he had two border collies at home and his emotional distress at taking a life so similar to his beloved pets was palpable.

Another young driver pulled over to see if he could help. He was with your dog, too, when he breathed his last. He was kind to him, there in the dark. He was supportive and tender.

The kindness of these two men is a silent reminder that for every person like you, there are more like them.

Are you getting it? Do you see how much trauma dumping your sentient, human-centred possession caused?

Humans have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal. But while we "own" them, they are not like other things we own.

The rule is that they must be loved. They must be cared for. You can't just throw them out, like a fast food wrapper from your car window. You broke that rule and we all paid.

If you really had to dispose of your pet, you could have waited until the morning, when the RSPCA shelter just up the road was open. At least they could have had the chance to try to find him a new home. At least they could have offered him some care and affection. At least he might have had a chance to live.

Maybe you did not deserve to have such a beautiful dog in the first place, but he certainly did not deserve what you did to him.

I have to wonder which one is more of an animal.

Edited by HollyMilo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good god. :cry:

That poor dog. Those poor people. The poor driver. The dog. How cruel and heartless a person must be to throw him out on a road, to die in strangers arms.

I hope through this heartbreaking letter, somebody who may have seen this driver, and taken the plate number, comes forward, and that this monster will pay. I believe in karma, and that he will get what is coming to him, either way.

May you rest in peace now my unknown four-legged friend, carrying with you that comfort, love and kindness shown to you in the very last minutes of life.

:cry: no words can express the utter sadness on reading that.

But at least he wasn't alone in the end.

What an ass of a human to do such a thing. He could've used a shelter for free [though I suppose that would require effort].

RIP dog, run happily over the rainbow bridge.

I can never understand how someone could do something as disgraceful as this.

That poor frightened dog and those traumatised people :cry:

To the person who did this - Ii hope you read the letter in the paper and feel sick to the bottom of your stomach at what you have done. I hope you are reminded of your act each day for the rest of your sorry life. May karma pay you a visit :mad