Changing Vets - Am I Too Anal?

Leema

I am reading the euthanasia thread with many people mentioning vets they've used for many years. I'm wondering if I'm being too pedantic, changing vets all the time, or if I've just had bad luck? Here is my little story, and I'd love to hear if I'm being anal or if you would've changed vets in these scenarios, too.

Sadly, a vet I really liked stopped practising in 2009 (approximately). I continued going to this clinic and saw 'Vet A'. Vet A knew that I was into holistic products, but kept trying to sell me homeopathic products (I do not believe in homeopathy). I tolerated this, but one day I took my dog with an ear infection in and she said, "He has dirty ears and fleas. He doesn't have an infection." He had neither dirty ears or fleas. Two weeks later, I took him to Vet B who diagnosed him with a bad ear infection.

Vet B became my regular vet. They were a bit annoying, trying to have me vaccinate my dogs annually, but I tolerated it. I took my dog there to have hip x-rays and they were shit (i.e. no conclusions could be made). I was a little annoyed about this, but kept going there. I booked my puppy in to be vaccinated with the tri-annual vaccine to have them ring up on the day of the appointment (1 hour beforehand) to say there was no triannual left, and would I like to bring her in to be vaccinated with the normal vaccine? The answer was firmly no. I spent a lot of time trying to find a vet that would use the triannual vaccine, delaying this puppy's vaccination protocol. The clincher, however, was when I got sent a letter by Vet B telling me how much at risk my puppy was from my 'beliefs'. I found this letter belittling, and cancelled outstanding vet appointments to then go to Vet C.

Vet C never bugged me about vaccinations. I could go in there and get just what I want. I'd tell them my dog had x,y,z, and they'd agree and give me the drugs I wanted. Perfect. I took my bitch there for progesterone testing on Friday and then again on the Saturday. Each day they took her I said, "Please don't clip her." On Saturday, they brought her out and they had clipped her neck. They then were going to charge me $35 more for that testing, compared to the day before. I still haven't received the results from that blood test. So now I have picked out the next local vet to start again.

I'm just a little bit jealous of all these relationships people are having with these vets, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that gets the shit vets?!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you definitely aren't the only one. i think sometimes you get lucky and find a vet you like and stick with them... In my case I have two vets that i like to see but for different things... up until then I have been going to different vets to find the "right" one for about 8 years.

I'm the same. I have real trust issues with vets due to some total freaks.

For example: Took Lili to the vet for a vaccination when she was a pup and the vet attacked me for docking her tail!

I just told her that was natural for an Aussie....what the? Isn't the vet meant to be the knowledgeable one?!

I also get sick of being pressured into vaccinations. My dog, my choice, just because Australia is so far behind the rest of the world with their vaccination protocols.

Another one (at the same place) told me that it was very unusual that one of my dogs was a bit nervous at the vet....riiiight....

I am still searching for a good vet...any recommendations?

I'll travel!! :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

I have a reproductive vet that I see and like, but he is 1.5 hours away from me. When I want drugs for conjunctivitis or an ear infection or a progesterone test, I am not going to drive 1.5 hours (I'm sorry) and take 3+ hours out of my day for something simple. I will go to him for something important and 'non urgent'.

I'm planning to move to a country town in a few years time, which has about 3-4 vets nearby... What happens when I exhaust them all? :eek:

No your not too anal. I found a good vet and I'm sticking with him for everything from now on as he listens and respects wishes totally as well as being up with the latest concepts and research.

I too am sick of walking in and being lectured. Worst was working for a clinic and had everyone lecture me on having entire dogs :rolleyes: oh they're going to die from cancer, it's horrible not to etc etc ... It stopped when I genuinely cracked it one day. My dogs, my choice. Considering they were all happy, healthy and in impeccable condition I dont see what good lectures are for or that know better attitude.

I'm the same. I have real trust issues with vets due to some total freaks.

For example: Took Lili to the vet for a vaccination when she was a pup and the vet attacked me for docking her tail!

I just told her that was natural for an Aussie....what the? Isn't the vet meant to be the knowledgeable one?!

I also get sick of being pressured into vaccinations. My dog, my choice, just because Australia is so far behind the rest of the world with their vaccination protocols.

Another one (at the same place) told me that it was very unusual that one of my dogs was a bit nervous at the vet....riiiight....

I am still searching for a good vet...any recommendations?

I'll travel!! :laugh:

Which suburbs?

Leema you are lucky that your country town has any vet. We have no vet in Mannum (except Birdwood that do housecalls here every 2nd Wednesday). The nearest clinics are at Birdwood (my choice) & Murray Bridge , both approx 35 kms away. I discovered there is not one single vet clinic in the whole vastness that is the Mid Murray council district!

I have had a few weird vet experiences too, but not as bad as yours.

One vet told me I shouldn't feed my dog bones and should brush their teeth daily instead - um no I am aware of the risks and I am going to feed my dogs the food they are designed to eat!

Nope not too anal at all.

After my vet of very many years passed away, I have yet to replace him. I have been in vet limbo for coming close to 10 years now. I go between three different vets, I even work next door to a vet and I have yet to use them. (I recently asked for a price on puppy vaccs and nearly choked on my lunch!)

I am still not happy with any of them particularly, but I go to the one I think will suit my needs at the time.

No your not too anal. I found a good vet and I'm sticking with him for everything from now on as he listens and respects wishes totally as well as being up with the latest concepts and research.

I too am sick of walking in and being lectured. Worst was working for a clinic and had everyone lecture me on having entire dogs :rolleyes: oh they're going to die from cancer, it's horrible not to etc etc ... It stopped when I genuinely cracked it one day. My dogs, my choice. Considering they were all happy, healthy and in impeccable condition I dont see what good lectures are for or that know better attitude.

This!

I have 2 lovely vets ( actually 3 if you count the derm) 1 i go to for injuries, 1 for everything else and 1 for allergies. I took Mason to 3 vets before the 1 im happy with they were all stuffing around with his allergies snd no one would give me a referral to a derm which i needed for my insurance

Leema, I do not believe you are being anal at all.

I have been in the same boat as you for a while. I was really happy with the vet we used (large and small animals) years ago, but the vets that worked there moved on and it was just never the same.

That was about 8 years ago. I have been looking for a vet that I was happy with ever since. I have moved from one vet to another, looking for that special relationship. And in one way or another, they have all disappointed me (except both AECs and the referal centre in Glenwaverley).

The last straw with my most recent X vet was also over vaccinations.

A couple of months ago when I had decided I was so furious with the last vet, I went on one of my searches and decided to make some inquiries with a new and local vet in my area.

I rang and had a chat with one of the vet nurses (always a brilliant source of information regarding their surgeries policies, attitudes and staff etc) and I was really happy with what she had to say. We chatted about the main vet whom owns the practice along with one of the other nurses. The vet has owned my breed, so that was a big plus for me.

I decided to go down there and have a meet and greet with them.

As it turns out, I actually know the other vet nurse (co-owner), which was entirely coincidental. They showed me through the whole building, which I must say was extremely impressive, purpose designed (by themselves) and built, and they spent quality time chatting with me about any queries or concerns I had. They show me the respect I want from my vet, whilst also offering suggestions etc without pushing their ideas down my throat. They listen to me and are very open to what my needs are for my dogs. They do not talk down to me, like some vets try to.

Since then I have had my male castrated there, my young bitch hip/elbow xrays done and I am taking my older bitch in in a couple of weeks for bloods and an overall check up.

I am absolutely thrilled with my new vet. And even though I am still a new client of theirs, I feel really comfortable with them and enjoy our visits.

I have not found them to be a budget vet, but I don't care. I am not looking for a cheap vet. I am looking for a thorough vet that has good diagnostic skills and is open to alternative remedies. I like my vet to understand my breed and have a good way with my dogs. I want my vet to appreciate that we may not agree on all fronts and that is OK.

They provide me all this.

This new vet of mine is Beleura Veterinary Hospital in Mornington.

Edited by dyzney

Not anal - I loved my vet, hated some of the idiots he had working for him but loved mine. Then he sold the clinic and retired. 1 of the new vets was not bad but after a run in over something I'm not happy.

Went somewhere else that was highly recommended and had hassles there. The practice manager was quite good at dealing with it but I'm still not happy about it and have lost faith in the vet and vet nurses ability. Also had times where I rang and asked for an appointment with vet x to get there and be told once I am already there vet x is not there so you will need to see y (the 1 I have lost faith with).

There is a brand new clinic open 500m from home so next I will try them. What I really want i my old vet back :(

My vet believes in feeding dry dog food, not feeding raw, not feeding bones and annual vaccinations, no questions asked. BUT he found a lump on Casper's spleen by feel only, when Casper had pancreatitis and had to be hospitalised for 3 days, my vet let us take him home with his drip equipment every night and more recently he diagnosed Casper's degenerative myelopathy without costly and stressful x-rays. I trust his veterinary expertise, even if we might disagree on other things. Oh, and I have been to a good few vets before finding him.

I think it's good to be anal when it comes to the care your dog gets but don't dismiss a good vet just because they have different opinions on how you should look after your dog.

Just my opinion, of course ;)

Where I live we have 3 vet clinics, Clinic1 changed hands & their bills sky rocketed, Clinic 2 I only went there once, the vet damm near injected me with the Microchip instead of our dog :eek: never went back, the 3rd clinic we have been using for the past 7 yrs or so & very happy with them, they listen, good with our dogs, our dogs get excited when we have to go there :laugh: we had only 1 misshap there, we let them know & the prob was rectified real quick :D

I'd rather be anal, that unhappy with the service or have a sick or dead dog.

Mine are fantastic, as a breeder I'm listened to and we work together to do what's right by my animals. I do have a seperate vet for my race dogs though, as the first vet has a great surgeon but admitts that they lack experience in the day to day care of a track dog. That's no biggie for me , as my track vet is excellent

nope not being anal at all, you want the best for your animals

I'm wary of vets, I swear that my cavalier was misdiagnosed despite me saying that something was wrong, at that time I was living in a small country town only one vet. It wasn't until she was dying that they said they better run some tests, by then it was too late :cry:

I take my dogs to a vet as she is a friend, lives 100 kms away. Emergencies I take them to a local vet clinic and although I seem to have a different vet each time I have found all to be good. When I got Mocha my griffon I decided to take him to the place where his breeder goes as he just needed a vacination and I didn't want him to keep going to different vets and I couldn't get over to my friend's. I had been to that vet before but didn't think much of them and after that visit nothing has changed. Although my breeder swears how wonderful they are :confused:

You guys are lucky to have multiple vet clinics to choose from. My nearest vet clinic is 30 km away after that I would be looking at over an hours drive.

My vet clinic, the owner vet has been there what seems like forever, but the other vets in the practice come and go fairly regularly and as it is a country vet we only ever seem to get new grads.

Most of the time they are fine, but there has been a couple of occassions with different vets there where we have not been happy at all.

eg. an operation on an 11 and 1/2 year old dog for a perineal hernia, that turned out to be a benign fatty lipoma :eek:

an operation on the same dog 2 years prior for what was meant to be a cancer in her jaw/mouth, turned out to be an abcess from a thorn :mad

I must admit they were 2 different vets, and they were both meant to be "life saving" operations, but it makes me think some vets are "cut happy" if there is such a term!!

On a positive note it was this vet clinic, yet another vet, that diagnosed one of our dogs with hypothyroidism, when 3 other vets had looked at her witht he same symptoms and come up with depression, spinal/neurolgical problems---operation :mad:eek:

If you can find a vet that you are totally happy with and trust 100% you are very very lucky.

My vet and I don't really agree on a lot. He has nothing against people breeding their pets and has even allowed them to use his dog at stud. He sometimes need a firm kick to make him look at alternatives other than conventional medicine and is very pro vaccination.

However he is my vet and a darn good one. I am not living with the man and as long as I know he will listen to me and will do his best by my animals I am happy. He has seen my dogs through some very serious illness and a number of my animals would not be here without him. Time and time again I have got this poor man out of bed for emergencies/ c-sections etc and he has always been there even at the end when sometimes we have to say goodbye.

He is certainly far from perfect but I personally wouldn't change vets over different opinions as long as he respected mine. I regularly get the vaccination speech but I just roll my eyes and go hmmm. He sighs and we move on.