Desexing Retired Breeding Dogs

leopuppy04

Who on here desexes their 'older' dogs and who doesn't?! Is there a particular age that you do it?!

What are you reasonings for desexing/ keeping them entire? Has anyone ever regretted de-sexing a b!tch at say.... 6 or 7 and just wish they had had the ONE more litter from them?!

I know that a dog that is more mature (say over 8 or 9) is at a higher risk in surgery and I also know keeping them entire for longer will increase their chances of mammary cancers/ prostate cancers etc.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts.

How quickly do your dogs bounce back and if you competed in agility, how long until you would have them back trialling again?!

Would you ever de-sex during a c-section if it wasn't necessary or an emergency (the desexing, not the c-section!)

Just curious as you hear a lot of conflicting reports :)

ETA - my girls are young - 19mths, 2.5yrs and 5yrs, all still breeding dogs so just thinking for the future, not really anything I'm doing now :). I've only ever had desexed girls before, and they were from a shelter so desexed before I got them :). My boy was done at 6mths... LOL!

Edited by leopuppy04

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never owned a neutered male.

Spaying depends on the bitch. some are spayed at 5 or so, some never. Because we can't show spayed bitches in the main stream shows (specialities are the thing for me) I avoid spaying them if they're still competitive show dogs unless, obviously!, it's required for their health.

Yes I have had a bitch spayed during a caesar, didn't seem to make any difference to her at all. Not saying this would be the case with all bitches or in all circumstances. She was spayed because she was carrying a single pup which on x-ray was obviously huge so it was an elective caesar, not sure I would do it during an emergency caesar.

ETA: OOps she wasn't spayed BECAUSE she was carrying a single pup :laugh: it was her last litter regardless, she had a caesar because it was a singleton

Edited by Sandra777

Yes, any bitch staying here is spayed by age 7 if not earlier.

Dogs on the other hand remain entire if they are staying here unless castrating is required for health reasons.

Bounce back rate for the girls is fast in my experience.

I'd never desex during a section unless it was absolutely necessary, I'd much rather take them back several months later.

I've never regretted it...but I think you have to be happy with what you have kept/bred from said bitch and not be left feeling like you could have got it right with a different sire.

Edited by Aziah

Just desexed Fern at 5. No regrets, she gave me 10 lovely pups in 2 litters, no need to keep her intact and risk pyro. Also desexed Miller before 2 once I decided he was not going to be bred from. Fully intend to desex Warrior ( only 6 months old at the moment ) once his show career is finished and I have a few straws put away, assumming he keeps progressing the way I want him to.

Living in town, on a house block, can make it a tad interesting trying to keep dogs and bitches seperate when the bitch is in season so it's makes life easier for me and the dogs.

I have just desexed two girls. My older (6.5yrs) one after two litters. She had a section with her last litter so I gave her another season then had her done. I did her daughter (4years) at the same time who was a pup I didn't think would make it from her first litter, never intended to breed from her but wanted to make sure she was mature before desexing. They recovered together in the same cage at the vet and got to spend their recovery time together- I know it made it easier on the younger girl having a 'friend' there, although Abby did use her as a pillow a fair bit. They were both bouncing around after 36hrs. I think Abby my older girl did take an extra day to really get into the swing of things, but the difference was negligible. I had pre-anaesthetic bloods done on both of them.

Abby will be going back to flyball 2.5 months after her op. She has just begun her fitness training and it has been 6 weeks :) We will be competing in Rally O tomorrow!!

Edited by Jumabaar

Can I just add that I and my family have owned entire females for 50 years plus and never had a problem relating to their reproductive system.(only the males were desexed to avoid unwanted puppies). Yes, I know that pyo is a risk, I'm just saying I have never had any problems.

My girls are always desexed when finished breeding and showing. I have had them done from 6 to 9 years but would prefer to make it by 8 if you could still show them in main classes. My last one desexed at 9 went back and competed as a neuter for a while. I hate that we cannot have a retired breeding bitch desexed and still show her in normal classes. Quite a few show bitches in my breed have not had their first litter until 5 or 6 with a second litter closer to 8 or 9, so age is very much a breed related thing.

The 6 year old was speyed during a caesar with no ill affects. I know of many bitches that were speyed during the caesar for their last litter and none had any complications. It used to be done almost routinely. With bitches over 5 I prefer it to be done at the time if they are not going to be shown and it is their final litter because I know of so many that have had major issues with complications and life threatening infections after a caesar because the uterus has failed to shrink back. One Gr Ch became so ill she lost 5 out of a litter of 7 then had to have an emergency spey when the puppies were 2 weeks old to save her life. It could have all been avoided if the vet had speyed here during the caesar as requested by the owner.

With males, I usually leave them entire unless I am certain they will never be required for breeding.

I am not planning to desex Clover. Because... You just never know! What if, in three years time, a dog comes along that I just -have- to try?

Plus, I'm not concerned about risks with keeping her entire. It's just a nuisance when I'm doing tracking, earthdog, etc, and I can't run her in season when I've paid good money! :o

I'm not really a big advocate of desexing, full stop, so I doubt I'd desex anything for convenience sake. I think the health benefits are negligible.

Desexed my oldest girl at 6 - she was and is very much our pet and hubby and I were quite worried about how she would be - we went up to the vet to bring her home complete with blanket to carry her home with and very concerned looks on our faces and waited for her to be brought out - she bounded out on a lead - happy to see us and didn't seem to have any problems at all - we took her home and she even jumped on the bed while we re not looking. Thats over a year ago now - only have 3 girls at home and will do the same as each one finishes breeding - only thing with my girl is she has put on a little weight - but what the heck her and I can have the middle age spread together - its probably my own faut though as she does love her food but she is fit and healthy. MY boy I keep at home is nearly 5 not sure yet if I will keep him whole once I no longer need him.

The risk of pyo scares the hell out of me, so I do the girls as soon as I know they won't be bred from again and I realy don;t want to go through any more seasons than I absolutely have to. The dogs on the other hand, I'm happy to leave entire, unless they are being retired to a pet home

Slightly off topic, but those of you who keep desexed and entire bitches together, does desexing have any effect on how they get along together? I have two entire girls here who generally get along well, but become a bit snarky with each other when they are coming into season.

Just wondering if I were to have one desexed (no longer being shown) and leave the other entire (until she is finished in the show ring), would this cause further problems between them?

EFS :)

Edited by Ellie

I had a retired desexed Dobe bitch and a young entire one.

The young one when coming into season was a right bitch with everyone. Then when around 2 her and the older Dobe had a fight, neither would back down and they could never be together again.

I got her desexed at 5 after her having an open Pyo. She was treated, it cleared but she gained her title and was desexed before her next season. She was MUCH easier to live with after being desexed as not only was she a hormonal bitch when in season but also for the full 15 weeks of her phantom pregnancies.

Life was much easier after desexing. She did suffer from Spey incontinence around 8 months after her desexing which annoyed crap out of me but the benefits outweighed the cons.

Bitches get desexed here either when they have a health issue requiring it, are past breeding age or are no longer being shown. Males only get desexed for health reasons, and after Lewis having Suprelorin he is never getting desexed, he is much easier to train and get along with when he has his testosterone!

I've dealt with Pyo a few times, and won't leave a bitch entire any longer than necessary. I never would spay during a section and have only had to do one during heat..very messy proceedure to do it then. Too hard on the bitch in my opinion!

I had my stud manchester castrated when he was about 7, just after he finished his American championship and sired his last litter for me. He really turned on for obedience then (although had two titles pre knacker!)

I"m a firm believer in spay/neuter and nothing leaves here to be rehomed without being done. Too many crazies out there wanting to 'do a litter' and most just want the $$ from it...I also like to get the animals desexed in my care so I can be sure there are no issues with the surgery before they go and have to adapt to a new enviroment.

I have never owned a neutered male.

Spaying depends on the bitch. some are spayed at 5 or so, some never. Because we can't show spayed bitches in the main stream shows (specialities are the thing for me) I avoid spaying them if they're still competitive show dogs unless, obviously!, it's required for their health.

No problem showing a speyed bitch. You just don't mention it. Who is to know if she's speyed. I only support cheating regulations when the regulation is absurd. This on is absurd.

I lost a good friend of mine -- dog friend -- at nine years because I didn't spey and she got some horrid uterine cancer.

I am not planning to desex Clover. Because... You just never know! What if, in three years time, a dog comes along that I just -have- to try?

Plus, I'm not concerned about risks with keeping her entire. It's just a nuisance when I'm doing tracking, earthdog, etc, and I can't run her in season when I've paid good money! :o

I'm not really a big advocate of desexing, full stop, so I doubt I'd desex anything for convenience sake. I think the health benefits are negligible.

:thumbsup: I'm 50 and beginning to go through menopause but just because it sucks and I might have some problems I'm not going to go out and have a hysterectomy without cause either! As a student of Naturopathy I learnt that in most cases it is best not to impede on what is a natural transision when it is not absolutely necessary. And despite having three children and breastfeeding for a combined total of 6 years, my childbearing years only utilised 10 (between age 29 to 39, late start and late finish) of the possible 30+ years I had.

That is to say that if any of my dogs were in need of desexing for health reasons of course it would be done. I had a 13 year old male Lhaso Apso desexed becasue of an anal adenoma, he lived to 17 years of age.

I've dealt with Pyo a few times, and won't leave a bitch entire any longer than necessary. I never would spay during a section and have only had to do one during heat..very messy proceedure to do it then. Too hard on the bitch in my opinion!

I had my stud manchester castrated when he was about 7, just after he finished his American championship and sired his last litter for me. He really turned on for obedience then (although had two titles pre knacker!)

I"m a firm believer in spay/neuter and nothing leaves here to be rehomed without being done. Too many crazies out there wanting to 'do a litter' and most just want the $$ from it...I also like to get the animals desexed in my care so I can be sure there are no issues with the surgery before they go and have to adapt to a new enviroment.

I don't have any problem with desexing as such. All the puppies I have breed were desexed and even though I had one owner ask if she could have her on MR and breed a litter, after explaining why I didn't want that for that particular girl, the pup was desexed at six months.

<No problem showing a speyed bitch. You just don't mention it. Who is to know if she's speyed. I only support cheating regulations when the regulation is absurd. This on is absurd. >

Can't agree there SG! It can make a huge difference in coat in a coated breed.

My girls are all desexed once they have finished breeding. Bree is 5 1/2 and I am still trying to work out if she will have a second litter or be desexed.