If Your Dog Bit Your Face

HugUrPup

Obviously if re-homing the JRT rescue group would match the dog to a family with no children and who could try to fix his issues.

I'm a bit confused by this?

I don't understand how finding a home without children solves this situation? he didn't bite a child - he bit an adult ??? who would want an aggressive dog that has bitten people? and you can't avoid children anymore than you can avoid men, or old people, they are part of society.

The first and preferred option is for the family to take the dog to a behaviourist to be assessed and to have a training plan implemented and followed. If the family doesn't want to do this; or feel that they are way out of their depth they need to pts.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe you suggested JRT rescue. Why make them do the job of putting this dog to sleep?

I am not sure if i would. If it was an 'accident' then i dont think so, but if as you say he is that aggressive then yes i would. in a heart beat

They know the breed and have people who want the breed. If they don't want to take a dog like that on then they say no.. simple.

She is in the process of getting a behavioural assessment..

I missed that. I'm glad to hear she is getting an assessment :thumbsup:

Any aggression needs professional (NOT a quick fix franchise) help, and much work from the owner .

snarling/drooling and biting is not good.

I have no idea what I would do - as I would never own a dog like that.

I hope , (if she is not thinking clearly enough to realise that no-one is happy ...dog included...and that leaving him outside will help...) that a good professional will assist her in making some decisions.

Poor Dog...My guess is that he will become more anti social once`left to disintegrate in the yard ... :(

My initial feeling is that I almost hope he gets his wings...rehoming is a very irresponsible thing to do .Aggressive dogs , esp if they have bitten a human should nopt ever become someone else's problem ...and the dog is not going to have much quality of life shut away in a backyard , being aggressive.

Edited by persephone

Obviously the water pistol is not effective punishment if he likes it and tries to catch/bite it :laugh:

Hope the behaviour assessment goes well - definitely a good idea to seek professional help in this case.

Hi HugurPup

If he likes the water pistol - that's possibly better than if he hates it - because I don't like using punishment, my use of it is by way of distraction and I wouldn't do it to a dog that freaks out about it.

So if she can get him to play with the water pistol jet instead of barking at whatever, and he only gets to play with the water pistol when he's quiet - ie it gets packed up if he barks more... then you have a reward system there.

Only thing you'd want to watch out for is sneaky back chaining ie barking to get attention and the chance to play with the water pistol.

I'm glad she's getting a behavourist in, let's hope it's one that can help.

You do realise that SG does use positive punishment? Maybe not a correction collar, but still punishment (something added which decreases the behaviour). Think collar grabs for incorrect/slow responses.

Personally - if I PTS without attempting to fix or at least identify the problem - I'd feel like I let my dog down. Especially if it bit me because I had done something like pick it up when it was highly aroused. It's just not that black and white for me and I can speak from experience here.

Not to mention that if the dog was the way it was due to the way I was treating it then the issue could arise with a future dog also if I had not been corrected myself.

Before I had to deal with this situation myself I did have the view "if any dog of mine bit anyone it would be PTS with no hesitation" but now I view it differently - but that's just my opinion.

It's easy to have all the answers when you're not in the situation yourself, and it's easy to say 'I'd PTS' when it's not your beloved dog on the vet table.

No doubt I have offended people with my view :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Personally - if I PTS without attempting to fix or at least identify the problem - I'd feel like I let my dog down. Especially if it bit me because I had done something like pick it up when it was highly aroused. It's just not that black and white for me and I can speak from experience here.

Not to mention that if the dog was the way it was due to the way I was treating it then the issue could arise with a future dog also if I had not been corrected myself.

Before I had to deal with this situation myself I did have the view "if any dog of mine bit anyone it would be PTS with no hesitation" but now I view it differently - but that's just my opinion.

It's easy to have all the answers when you're not in the situation yourself, and it's easy to say 'I'd PTS' when it's not your beloved dog on the vet table.

No doubt I have offended people with my view :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Totally agree. I will never PTS my dog because he/she bit me. I will do anything and everything to keep my dogs safe, including keeping them in a way that they can't bite others even if they had the inclination.

I'm wondering how old this dog is? I'm assuming he is desexed. :confused:

How long has this behaviour been going on?

Surely this should have been 'nipped' (no pun intended) in the bud at the first sign of aggression?? :mad

Way overdue for the help of a behaviourist. They should get right on it.

Firstly I won't make any judgements based on your take on the situation as it is pretty obvious you do not like the dog and want it gone. Good thing it is not your call to make.

Jacks can be pretty full on, and what you call aggressive behavior may be far from it.

If one of my dogs bit me, there would have to be a reason and something would need to be worked on, or treated.

Edited by Crisovar

I cant believe you suggested JRT rescue. Why make them do the job of putting this dog to sleep?

I am not sure if i would. If it was an 'accident' then i dont think so, but if as you say he is that aggressive then yes i would. in a heart beat

I agree. The dog is aggressive and there is an 11year old child. If the dog stays, which I don't think he should, whenever the child uses the back yard, the dog needs to be locked away. What a situation to be in. Personally, in this situation, OI think the best all round should be to put the dog to sleep.

Your strong dislike for this dog is obvious, but it's not your dog so it's up to your friend what she wants to do - she obviously loves the dog so can probably do without you telling her to PTS.

No I would not PTS for that - there are a number of factors involved and the dog should never have been near her face when it was in that state - I hope she can get help from someone who will teach her to read the dogs behaviour better and help the dog with its issues.

If the dog can't be rehabilitated after some attempt at least then I would consider PTS.

Definitely shouldn't be rehomed IMO.

Agree 100% with this.

Guest donatella

No, I wouldn't even contemplate putting my dog to sleep without exhausting all other options first. I don't believe in just giving up, especially not on family.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Personally, I'd never rehome a dog of mine that bit me or my family. Mainly because I'm confident enough with dogs that I'd be aware that there's a reason the dog had taken a bite. At the same time though, I've never allowed any dogs I've owned to become generally aggressive.

On a related note I'm pretty much waiting to hear from some inlaws of mine. Their dog will take a bite out of one of them some day, almost inevitible. It's a fighting dog cross, they encourage aggressiveness and they've got kids.

Obviously the water pistol is not effective punishment if he likes it and tries to catch/bite it :laugh:

Hope the behaviour assessment goes well - definitely a good idea to seek professional help in this case.

in fact this may acutally be reinforcing the behaviour.. as the dog gets a 'treat" in response

H

I have already stated, that just because I don't like a dog, doesn't mean I wish it gone.

I worry about it biting again and I worry about my friends daughter and MY children who spend a lot of time there.

I have also said, that if the rescue group doesn't want to take on a dog then they say no :shrug: why keep bringing that up? It's better than her advertising the dog in the paper free to good home. At least that way the dog would be properly assessed and the right family chosen. If that's not what they would do, then so be it, she has to train this dog properly or PTS. I am hoping she can sort it he's issues.

The dog would be around 3 years old now and was only recently desexed (a few months ago). I believe they left it too late and I have no idea why they waited so long, especially when he had obvious high levels of testosterone causing him to be very "angry".

Now he has personality traits which a deep seeded and haven't been dealt with. I don't hold out much hope of rehabilitation.

Edited by HugUrPup