Experiment: Do Australian Dogs Recognize A Coyote?

sandgrubber

Do your dogs react to coyote noises.  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How do your dogs respond to these sounds

• no reaction
    • startle, then run around looking
    • fear, trembling, hiding, seeking protection
    • other (describe please)

Do dogs who have never been around coyotes recognise or respond to their calls. Play a little experiment. Go to this site, play a few selections, then vote.

http://www.soundboar...ote_sounds.aspx

p.s. If you play around with this site you can also find dog sounds with a lot of barks. My dogs were more impressed by the coyotes.

http://www.soundboar...unds_sound.aspx

Edited by sandgrubber

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are a disgrace the the canine race! :mad They slept through the first few howls then just opened their eyes and moved their heads ever so slightly to rest them on their legs, instead of being curled in a ball like kittens. :laugh: Takes alot more than a few coyotes howling to impress them.

Never seen a reaction like it from James. It woke him up and those ears were cocked to within an inch of their life. It was very much confused interest but he came over and sniffed the computer and didn't leave it - his interest in online dog barks is comparatively much milder.

Yeah, I just youtubed some barking dogs and he hasn't moved from his resumed nap. His coyote interest isn't as strong the second time around but it still got him up and looking.

Edited by Niques

My dogs are a disgrace the the canine race! :mad They slept through the first few howls then just opened their eyes and moved their heads ever so slightly to rest them on their legs, instead of being curled in a ball like kittens. :laugh: Takes alot more than a few coyotes howling to impress them.

Same here. Total indifference :laugh:

errr... Kaos got up and walked over to me,then rolled on her back and went to sleep.

Atlas looked at me.. and went back to sleep

the Kitten ran over and tried to stick his head in the speaker.. so seems my cat is a better dog than my dogs are!

Bailey was sitting beside me, so he had his head close to the computer....he tilted his head to the side, then barked a little, & then howled a little aswell. :)

Jasper was sleeping, but the sounds woke him up & he also tilted his head to the side, barked a little & then ran around the house looking for the strange animal. :laugh:

Brandy was sleeping, lifted her head for 2 seconds & then went back to sleep & my old girl Jessie who is completely deaf, so couldn't hear it at all, decided to bark & run around anyway because she could see Jasper doing it. :laugh:

Princess (foxy x) started barking, still making little huffing sounds now. :laugh:

Takoda (sibe pup) was very interested. She had her ears pricked and head tilting side to side the whole time it played.

Buddy the kelpie just barked. :laugh:

Jasmine (border collie x kelpie) took off to the front door.