My Neapolitan Mastiff Bit Me (a Serious Bite)

cybergenesis

Actually I can understand rehoming the Lab over the Neo for the reasons the OP has stated. It will be easier to find the Lab a new home provided he is not dog aggressive now. It would be VERY irresponsible for the OP to try to rehome the Neo in my opinion, unless the breeder was willing to take him back. So if the OP doesn't keep him then what, he gets PTS? If both dogs can be worked on and reconditioned then isn't it nicer to keep both alive at least? My two cents.

And a very reasoned and sensible and understanding two cents' worth, Cassie.

The situation sounds awful and my thoughts are that no amount of behaviour assessments, advise or assistance are ever going to change it.

One of the dogs will have to be rehomed before more damage is done just in the effort to keep them apart and the stressful situation you are all living in.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,sorry for your dramas but I have to say I think you have caused it.Dog fights are stressful moments for sure but its how you act that can affect the dogs.Punching and kicking a fully grown adult entire male Neo is not a smart thing to do considering you didnt raise it.You are lucky he didnt go you then and thereBreaking sticks work no matter what dog and is easir to break the hold and tow them away.He bit you becuase of your strange behaviour afterwards and he was still amped.I personally steer away from adult dogs but alos depends on the situation.Even though you have altered both dogs I wouldnt trust that to be the cure as the damage is already done and becuase of so many altercations it will happen again.I think it is best to rehome the labrador if you are not that attached to it.Neo's can be headstrong dogs and dominant/Behaviourists can give you good advice but at the end of the day they wont be there 24 7.Its easier and for piece of mind to move on with the one dog and if you get another get a female from a pup.Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for that. In regards to hitting the Neo, I realize this was not a good idea. I was in a panic because my Labrador was in serious trouble. I have read since to pull them by their back legs or tail (though this risks being bit as well).

I won't be putting them back together unless there has been extensive work done with both dogs, but yeah it may not be possible.

I dont agree with pulling dogs by the back legs.If they have a good hold and dont want to let go you risk causing them injury to their legs by trying to pull them out of the sockets.Easy to make a breaking/parting stick.Go to bunnings get a hatchet handle cut the end off that affixes to the axe head shape it down to a wedge.It will be long enough that your hand wont be near the teeth.Stick it in the back teeth rotate it 180 while you have your other hand in the dogs collar.Dog comes off you wlak away holding the dog.i know they are big strong dogs but it beats trying to beat them off as that doesnt work and you make the situaton worse.Best not to put them back together ou dont want anymore in jury and vet bills to the other dog.Despite what people say I would rehome the lab as you have already said much easier to rehome if you wish to keep the Neo.If you hadnt netered him and you wanted to get rid of the Neo I could have probably given you the number of someone who could have taken him in.

Did you get him from Queensland by any chance?

Sorry, but I'm not going to give you any sympathy. You want a right royal kick in the arse. You knew these two did not get along and yet you continued to leave them in the same space. Ever heard of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted? That is exactly what you have done.

And men and their "oh shit...something happened and I was wrong and it's out of my control so I'll go around, yelling and swearing and punching things 'cos I'm a bloke. It scares small children, it scares animals, :scared: it f'en scares everyone. Oh but it did make you feel better didn't it so it's okay to do that? I've lived with blokes who punch holes in doors because guess what...shit happens, so it's a good reason to go off. :mad

Who needs the behavourist anyway man or beast?

I'm not one to let fly usually but this time my blood is boiling. You created a most stupid scenario and all because you were running late for court, let me guess, for doing something else completely stupid. :scold: (My apologies if you were the magistrate or the barrister. ) :rolleyes:

Arrrrggghhh...men. :flame:

It's okay I think I just spontaneously combusted. :o

Edited by LizT

Sorry, but I'm not going to give you any sympathy. You want a right royal kick in the arse. You knew these two did not get along and yet you continued to leave them in the same space. Ever heard of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted? That is exactly what you have done.

And men and their "oh shit...soemthing happened and I was wrong and it's out of my control so I'll go around, yelling and swearing and punching things 'cos I'm a bloke. It scares small children, it scares animals, :scared: it f'en scares everyone. Oh but it did make you feel better didn't it so it's okay to do that? I've lived with blokes who punch holes in doors because guess what...shit happens, so it's a good reason to go off. :mad

I'm not one to let fly usually but this time my blood is boiling. You created a most stupid scenario and all because you were running late for court, let me guess, for doing something else completely stupid. :scold: (My apologies if you were the magistrate or the barrister. ) :rolleyes:

Arrrrggghhh...men. :flame::o

It's okay I think I just spontaneously combusted.

you just have to understand men and women are different.i dont understand the stupid things women do either.Go figure

Guest lavendergirl

And men and their "oh shit...soemthing happened and I was wrong and it's out of my control so I'll go around, yelling and swearing and punching things 'cos I'm a bloke. It scares small children, it scares animals, :scared: it f'en scares everyone. Oh but it did make you feel better didn't it so it's okay to do that? I've lived with blokes who punch holes in doors because guess what...shit happens, so it's a good reason to go off. :mad

:thumbsup: Says it all really - poor lab.

Times 2

you just have to understand men and women are different.i dont understand the stupid things women do either.Go figure

Sorry don't accept that truth as a good enough reason for not keeping your cool in a hot situation. I've meet plenty of guys who know how to keep a cool head under pressure. :)

Personally I think the best situation is that the lab that through no fault of its own gets rehomed as well its welfare hasnt really been paramount here despite being a 'good' dog for 2 yrs. It deserves better. The mastiff should be returned to the breeder. It needs more work done by someone other than one who hasnt got an idealist idea of what breed is best for them whether it be wise or unwise. Oh and anger management for two of the participants here and a cuddle for the Lab. Sorry but I think you have made alot of bad choices here.

Edit to add:

I have reread your post again and you really havent made it clear Why Neo is so perfect for you other than you want one. I am sorry if I come off as harsh but if you are so upset that you need to hit something...are you aware that our emotions ...fear/anger/happy directly impact on the dog? I commend you for wanting the dog some help with a behaviourist but behaviourists work with the owners not just on the dog. I hope that you & your Labs wounds heal and that a solution is sourced quickly as it is a dire situation should it happen again.

Edited by redangel

Have to agree with Liz. Male or female, when you're caring for a child or animal you have a responsibility not to have a big, physical temper tantrum around them as of course it will freak them out!!

As you now know the dogs should not have been in together, it was only a matter of time before the serious fight happened. Pending the behaviorist's advice, I too think you should probably rehome the Lab, work hard with the Neo and not put any of you in that situation again.

Contact Mark Singer ASAP, he'll put you on the right track. Don't make any decisions about rehoming until you've had a good talk with him.

As for the Neo biting you ... yes I'm not surprised. An up and coming dog, new to your household, all riled up after a fight and you acting in an aggressive manner. He did what a neo was bred to do, he was trying to tell you off for acting like a clown. I wouldnt call the dog HA considering its a guarding breed.

Contact Mark and let us know how you go.

Please whatever you do, don't put them back together - supervised or not unsupervised. The neo will just end up killing the lab. :(

I feel really sorry for the lab. :( I don't understand how some ppl can have a dog for years and then discard it for a newcomer. But as you say, the neo is your ideal dog. :rolleyes:

No offence but I think you both need to see a professional. The dog for his aggression and you for your temper by the sounds of things, otherwise this could be a recipe for disaster...

And I too hope the lab finds the special home he deserves.

Get rid of the Neo, if you were capable of handling dogs with issues you would have realised something was amiss between the 2 dogs and not let them be together. I think the Neo needs to be with someone very experienced. Im saying all of this from experience i had 2 females that had serious fights, one got her throat ripped out in the last fight. No one would take any of my dogs so i had get drastic and remove canines etc which is not the right thing to do. It was 13 years ago and thngs have changed.

Poor poor lab :( if i didnt already have 2 male labs i woud take him myself

Wow, two dogs fighting for 3 and half months and they still weren't separated. And from your post it implies that you have been going out and leaving them alone together also. Very fortunate that you didn't come home to a dead dog. I very much doubt even supervised time together from now on will be possible. The neo being a younger dog probably came from an environment where although he was with other dogs, assuming they were other neos, due to his age and size was probably on the bottom of the pecking order, to coming to a place where he could easily overpower the lab at an age where he was ready to start flexing his muscles. Very dangerous situation, and surely the neo breeder should have been wary of this.

I also think it's sad that you brought a dog into another dog's safe environment knowing in your own words that there may end up being problems then want to get rid of the dog who's life has been totally turned upside down.

I hope that the lab finds a good home, he deserves it.

I also think it's sad that you brought a dog into another dog's safe environment knowing in your own words that there may end up being problems then want to get rid of the dog who's life has been totally turned upside down.

I hope that the lab finds a good home, he deserves it.

Well said.

Edited by persephone

The OP came here and is asking for advice. He's been directed to Mark Singer and has said that he intended to contact him. I don't think it is necessary to keep beating the guy over the head.

I do hope he comes back here to let us know how he got on after seeing Mark.

Just my opinion - I acknowledge it's a public forum and everyone's entitled to their say, but much of it is becoming a bit on the repetitive side.

Edited by Erny