Dearest Little Taz

Her Majesty Dogmad

You were advertised on the Trading Post - Free to a Good Home. The ad said 8+ and I was looking for a little dog to be someone's companion. When I rang and found out that you were actually 14 yrs old and your owners sounded so callous, I drove out to meet you and rescue you. When I got there you were out in the road, foraging for something to eat. You had spent 14 years of your life living in the backyard. Your owners told me that all you ever wanted was to be with them but they didn't allow you in the house. They had cheered when you left, you'd been an unwanted birthday present all those years ago and they were glad to see the back of you.

You were a lifeless and joyless little dog at first. Weighing 3 kilos, you hadn't seen a vet in 14 years. Unfortunately you had a mouth full of rotten teeth - you'd been fed "No Frills" canned food only and now your heart was bad and then there were the awful lympomas hanging off your legs. My vet said "6 months" was your expected lifespan but he could take out your teeth and remove the lympomas and make your life much more comfortable so that's what we did. You went on two lots of meds for your heart and you were on your way.

It was Easter last year when you arrived. With tlc from the vet and a good diet and warm bed, you soon learned to wag your tail all the time. Your coat grew thicker and glossier and you loved to go for walks, something you'd never had. You never wanted to sleep on my bed and it was only the last few months where you sat on my lap for a while as you started feeling a bit unwell. You had another tooth or two out and went on some different medication but there was no denying that you weren't going to be with me for a long time. You were always my little shadow, everywhere I went you followed.

You loved my JRT cross and would annoy her by taking a nip at her ears, you ate anything that landed on the floor including pills so you were easy to give meds to! You would go out the doggie door if I was standing there but you would not come in, i tried for many months, you got the concept of housetraining but when you got desperate, especially as the diuretics increased, you used a towel or mat near the doggie door.

Everyone thought I was mad, you were a major expense that would lead to heartbreak and it has for me but I have loved you from that first moment we met, you were the dearest little girl and you deserved more, so much more than you ever had. I could never have left you in that awful situation.

The turns you've been having of late became more frequent in the last few days and it was beginning to get very distressing for you. I didn't want you to die when I wasn't here so I made my decision and you went to sleep, chewing a treat, in my arms.

Everyone says I have to console myself with the fact that at least you had love at the end. It's really not enough but that's what I'll have to do.

Miss you forever little Miss Tazzie.

post-4751-0-80436700-1328332413_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

Oh Dogmad I'm so terribly sorry. It breaks my heart that Taz had such a horrible life and that you got to spend so little time turning things around with her. Thank you for doing everything you could to make her life better. I'm not going to tell you she's in a better place because I too wish she was still here, beside you, getting the life she deserved.

Thank you for being there with her till the end. I'm sending you hugs and sharing your tears.

Alyson

I know how much you loved your little Taz, Jane, she had your heart from the beginning. She finally knew love and safety.... she was blessed when you came for her. She knew she was loved when she left, because of you.

Thank you for what you did for her :heart::heart:

I know how much you loved your little Taz, Jane, she had your heart from the beginning. She finally knew love and safety.... she was blessed when you came for her. She knew she was loved when she left, because of you.

Thank you for what you did for her :heart::heart:

So very sorry for your loss of taz Jane but happy she knew love and a kind caring home....thanks for all you do..