Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

Okay let's put aside the discussion that is based purely on whether people like children or not, or whether they wish to engage with children, have them or whatever. AND This has nothing to do with the woman on the plane , which as I stated in previous posts was not really a good example to use.

What about the transferance of a "treated as child" like affection to say a dog or cat WHILST not liking children.

Why treat a dog like an entity that you have no time for? What is wrong with aknowledging it is in fact a dog and not a child, if in fact you don't particularly like kids anyway?

Oh, and for those who are going to say A. "Why does it bother you, and B. what business is it of yours?

My pre empted reply is. A. "Don't know, I find it odd but don't worry, I'm not losing sleep over it ".

AND "None. B. Just human curiosity of how this phenonomen comes about I suppose".

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On a plane returning to Australia from Vienna an old woman sat beside me, glanced at my 6 months old baby, pulled a sour face, called the flight attendant and stated "I specifically requested NOT to be seated next to one of those"! She got moved.

I will admit sometimes other peoples kid annoy me when I see their mothers let them run amuk in shopping centres etc. but that does not colour my attitude towards ALL children, either prior to becoming a mother 22 years ago or after. ;)

I don't think any reasonable person would condone truly rude behavior from anyone for any reason. I don't know if this lady actually was being incredibly rude, or if you've taken affront to her decision not to be sat next to your child - and have perceived rudeness when there was none. An observer may have thought she was perfectly polite in her request to be moved to another seat.

Would you have been offended even if she has used lots of pleases and thank-you's?

On a plane returning to Australia from Vienna an old woman sat beside me, glanced at my 6 months old baby, pulled a sour face, called the flight attendant and stated "I specifically requested NOT to be seated next to one of those"! She got moved.

I will admit sometimes other peoples kid annoy me when I see their mothers let them run amuk in shopping centres etc. but that does not colour my attitude towards ALL children, either prior to becoming a mother 22 years ago or after. ;)

I don't think any reasonable person would condone truly rude behavior from anyone for any reason. I don't know if this lady actually was being incredibly rude, or if you've taken affront to her decision not to be sat next to your child - and have perceived rudeness when there was none. An observer may have thought she was perfectly polite in her request to be moved to another seat.

Would you have been offended even if she has used lots of pleases and thank-you's?

You could be right. In hindsight her look of disgust may have been directed at yet another stuff up from an airline.

I may just have been in the firing line.

What about the transferance of a "treated as child" like affection to say a dog or cat WHILST not liking children.

What does "treated as child" mean to you LizT? Sleeping inside? Wearing jumpers? Patting them? Calling them 'human' names? Being allowed to chuck a tantrum in a supermarket? Having a savings account for their care?

Where is the divide between treating them like pets and treating them like children?

What does "treated as child" mean to you LizT? Sleeping inside? Wearing jumpers? Patting them? Calling them 'human' names? Being allowed to chuck a tantrum in a supermarket? Having a savings account for their care?

Where is the divide between treating them like pets and treating them like children?

Hmmmm...valid point, there is such a huge divide in the way we treat children, but I sure hope none (children) are being made to sleep in crates. ;)

My dogs are not 'made to sleep in crates'. Mine choose their crates over other beds and even ours.

Edited to add dogs. Changes the meaning entirely!

Edited by Dxenion

Whats the difference between a crate and a cot? :rofl:

A dog could jump out of a cot and get hurt. No lid. Hmmm...actually my youngest would have been safer in a crate. She was a climber. :)

From casual observation of a very small number of people who I believe have treated pets in a very spoilt fashion, child substitute fashion.

I've found them to be high maintenance 'princess' personalities that expect to get unconditional love and attention on demand. They resent having to reciprocate.

Kids and babies have a tendency to want the same.

Pets tend to be givers and don't get too offended or scarred if their emotional needs get neglected. Plus the Princesses tend to see the pets demands for attention as overtures of love and affection.

Just my take.

I can't beleive this thread is still going.Lot's of good points in the for and against.The bottom line is for me I don't really like kids :shrug: call me shallow(oh that's right I am)but I am just not a kid person,never have been never will be.Just because I am female does not mean I have to breed.Thankfully my mum thought differently.

I could get shot in the foot for this but I do genuinely wonder how many anti kid people (seemingly most are women?) dislike and don't want kids at their choice entirely or that they were dealt a horrible hand at life and were not able to procreate and now hold a bitterness towards them. Just a thought, I don't want anyone to answer this, it's just a theory I have.

Your mixed metaphor is strangely appropriate.

Assume you don't want people to answer because you knew you were saying something that would get a rise. A bit tacky in a thread where people have talked about their pain about not being able to have kids.

I don't have children but I don't treat my dogs like children, they are everything to me but they are not child substitutes.

I don't think its as simple as that though anyway. Nurturing is nurturing, some people prefer dogs to children so they use those nurturing instincts on the dog. I don't think that makes them strange or ill, I think it's just them.

I would be more worried about someone who didn't show any affection for anyone OR anything rathar than just preferring one species over another. This is the thing, we are all just animals, humans consider themselves to be top of the food chain, more important than any other species due to their intelligence and staning in the world, that's just how we are, but not all of us are like that. Doesn't mean we're screwed up.

Mine are certainly not child subsitutes. I wouldn't have the breed I do if I was looking for that.

I think the real question in this thread is why do people who seem to dislike animal lovers take part in a forum like this anyway.

Major difference between me, my dog and my siblings and their kids...

I spend heaps of time in school with my dog. I even go to school without her to learn better how to train her to be a better behaved member of society...

I don't think either of my siblings or their partners have done any courses on child rearing. Though my sister has a masters in psychology... She still manages to miss obvious things - like what behaviour are you rewarding with that? Ie her oldest was a velcro kid and she couldn't hand her off to anyone for a second. And the younger one loves to scream to get her way - and it works. On my sister. Not so good with me. I pay enough attention to find out what the matter is, if it's nothing serious (in my opinion not hers), do what I can to distract her, ignore her if I can't. I do not pick her up and give her cuddles for chucking a temper tantrum.