Winter

ludwig09

For those of you who walk in the dark, how do you go with dogs rushing at you? Just thinking you cant really see that far ahead in the dark to be able to avoid the situation.

We are usually the only ones out at 5:30 am on a dark, cold Canberra winter's morning...

I also find that I can see quite a way into the distance, so I can see oncoming traffic reasonably early to be able to make a difference.

If you're hesitant about it, I would stick to well lit paths.

We don't see anyone normally on our morning walks, maybe the occasional walker and one older gentleman with his greyhound if I head in his general walking direction at the same time (we always stop to say hello to each other). As mentioned before, I tend to stick to well lit streets anyway. My dogs are always walked on lead.

My two are a bit funny when it gets cooler, they don't want to get out of bed, but once they realise its time for a walk, they get excited very quickly. Its been a little chilly in the mornings here already, so winter this year will be interesting, as I didn't walk both in winter last year, as the puppy didn't have all her needles done.

I have really poor night vision and find the Barbie estate-like street lights give off so little light that it makes seeing much worse. I also struggle at dawn and dusk (the times where it's not bright but not dark either).

I avoid going out at these times but since I don't get home from work until 7:15pm I don't worry too much. My dogs wear a Rogz Lite each (Kirah pink and Zeus blue or red) and I carry a large LED torch just in case.

We rarely see anyone when we walk in the dark and our area is well-lit enough with street lights so that if we do see someone or a dog, we have plenty of chance to cross the road in order to avoid them. Sometimes it's so dark my dog herself can't see a stray cat slink up right underneath her nose! :rofl: (this has happened multiple times!)

Edit : Sometimes we also fasten those flashing light things on her collar.And her coat has reflective light strips.

Edited by silentchild

Rug up and walk in the dark, just hate that you cant see what is on the ground for them to pick up as much.

I need to get Abbey a coat actually coming into winter, anyone have any recommendations? I want her to be able to walk in it when it gets really cold here.

mine go for a mini walk a couple of times per week with mr clydes...in the daylight

if i get home early enough they might come out with horsey... although peak winter i work sometimes 12hours so its hard cause i am lazy after a long day. so they miss out. weekends they are out and about but they have time with mr clydes at his home workshop... when no customers are around... the customer attack is funny to watch not funny to be.

ours find ways to exercise without a walk, but then thats the beauty of acreage.

We walk in rain, hail, shine or dark.

Our only exception is severe lightening and thunder of if we think branches may fall off the trees. We figure orphaned dogs are worse than dogs that have missed one walk!

Guest Clover

I usually just walk in the dark, but today for something different i walked them this morning before work. But now they are trying to con me again.

I bought an illuminated collar on ebay for my old Golden and it was brilliant. It cost $8 including postage so I didn't hold out much hope for it, but he used to swim in it and it was fine. I could see him across a sports oval and in reasonably heavy cover at night, actually it was easier to see him at night than during the day.

You can get reflective harnesses so that you can easily see your doggie in the dark, I also hate walking in the dark, not because it's cold but you can't easily see what's around you. Maybe ask a friend to come with you, walk in streets with great lighting and carry a hand torch. And if that doesn't work, I'm sure there is plenty of youngsters wanting to earn a quick buck and will walk your dog for you, just before it gets dark