Dog/child

persephone

Just what are they?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Are the dogs that live with you your children?

• No, definitely not. They are dogs, with their own wonderfulness.
    • No , I love them deeply for who they are though.
    • No , but I call them my 'kids' , like a lot of people do. :)
    • No ....well..... sort of I guess, as I have no children of my own.
    • My dogs are my life, but not my children
    • My dogs are the children I have never had.
    • My dogs are my children and I will always love them.
    • My dogs are my children, and will be given every opportunity.
  2. 2. What do your dogs enjoy?

• :) My dogs enjoy getting dirty
    • My dogs enjoy games and my company
    • My dogs enjoy lots of training and being with others.
    • My dogs enjoy work - they are part of a team .
    • My dogs enjoy being with me at home much of the time
    • My dogs enjoy being with me continually
    • My dogs enjoy a variety of outdoor activities

If more children were treated like dogs there may be less issues in the world....

As that is a leading and provocative statement I will clarify by saying that good leadership, setting rules and boundaries, teaching manners and respect are just as important for both. And operant conditioning works on both! (read Karen Prior's book "Don't Shoot the Dog").

A child is not a dog, just as a dog is not a child that is for sure, but frankly if children are raised in the same manner that some who consider their dogs a 'child' raise their dogs then I am not surprised when problems are seen with the behaviour and ability to cope of either of them.

From my own personal experience as a groomer and a trainer I have found it interesting to often see a correlation in that families with 'babied' dogs also often seem to have 'wayward' children who also appear to lack leadership and boundaries.

JMHO and YMMV

As for me? My dogs are not my children. But as I speak, one dog is cuddling on the bed with my ill OH, two are in the study with me lounging on the lounge. I enjoy buying pretty bling show leads, I enjoy our time grooming and making them look nice and the dogs frequently go on outings with us (one yesterday to 'visit grandma' in Sydney). They like sharing ice cream with us or the odd iced vovo. But my dogs also enjoy doing the job they were designed to do protecting our livestock and you can see the pleasure they get from that. They enjoy getting dirty and they are comfortable being away from us and us being away from them. I cry and mourne the passing of all of them and I have pictures and ashes in urns for all the ones I have loved and lost. But they are dogs and I love and respect their uniqueness and talent as dogs. I love seeing their natural instincts at work. I love that they see and hear and respond differently to people. I love that I can work with them in partnership in a way that is not possible with another human. That partnership is a special one and the relationship is a special one and I would not want to degrade that by bringing them down to the human level. Thank goodness they do not think and act like humans as when we see what the humans in this world do, to consider a dog to be one is really demeaning. Frankly I would rather aspire to be a dog than try to make my dogs human.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I own dogs. They sleep on the bed, they get hugs and attention. I train most nights of the week and I am at doggie events most weekend.

They do go to the toilet outside, they see a VET, they don't speak english.

best of all when I go out I can pop them in crates!! You can't do that with kids :laugh:

I own dogs. They sleep on the bed, they get hugs and attention. I train most nights of the week and I am at doggie events most weekend.

best of all when I go out I can pop them in crates!! You can't do that with kids :laugh:

You can't confused.gif

You just need a bigger crate laugh.gif

You can't confused.gif

:laugh:

I think in esssence we must agree that all creatures, human, canine or otherwise deserve respect.

Once it was said that a mistreated person was treated "like a dog". Some societies today still do not have any respect for dogs and so for someone to say they treat their dogs as if they were their children could well mean that they have the greatest love and consideration for the canine companions.

This is a good thing. YES, treat dogs as part of the family, they ARE!!

But to refer in serious lament that your dog is your "child" belittles the dog. A different species with entirely different needs and to substitute these needs to something akin to what you would treat an immature or pre-school human, and to feel this is better than fullfilling it's canine requirements really does shortchange the dog, who becomes an ADULT dog very quickly, with ADULT dog needs.

I would kill to have a baby of my own.

My dogs are dogs, my cats are cats. Yep they all do sleep inside but i have no issues with them staying out if needed.

I see so many people come into work calling their pets their Kids and Children and i really dont get it.

I love my animals but they will never be my children and will always be treated as animals

I think in esssence we must agree that all creatures, human, canine or otherwise deserve respect.

Once it was said that a mistreated person was treated "like a dog". Some societies today still do not have any respect for dogs and so for someone to say they treat their dogs as if they were their children could well mean that they have the greatest love and consideration for the canine companions.

This is a good thing. YES, treat dogs as part of the family, they ARE!!

But to refer in serious lament that your dog is your "child" belittles the dog. A different species with entirely different needs and to substitute these needs to something akin to what you would treat an immature or pre-school human, and to feel this is better than fullfilling it's canine requirements really does shortchange the dog, who becomes an ADULT dog very quickly, with ADULT dog needs.

Great post! thumbsup1.gif

I would kill to have a baby of my own.

My dogs are dogs, my cats are cats. Yep they all do sleep inside but i have no issues with them staying out if needed.

I see so many people come into work calling their pets their Kids and Children and i really dont get it.

I love my animals but they will never be my children and will always be treated as animals

There are two separate issues here that people are mixing up.

One is treating your dogs like human children which is what that other threads OP was doing, and then there's affectionately referring to your dogs as your kids but still respectfully treating them like dogs. Why is it so hard to "get" and why does it freak people out that some people fall into latter? I don't have any mental issues (that I know of :laugh:) and I certainly know the difference between treating my dogs like dogs and kids like kids, but if it makes my day brighter by calling my dogs my kids then why does that trouble others so? :shrug: Any human activities I lavish on them are purely for my benefit (like giving them a birthday cake, and yes I do do that) - I'm well aware that my dogs don't think and feel like humans and have no flippin' idea what the free treat and fuss was for! :laugh: Their dog needs are met first and foremost. The rest is for my benefit/amusement and I don't believe that means I am belittling my dogs!

Edit: my reply isn't directly aimed at you Teebs, its just the last one I read that says what other ones are saying that I wanted to respond to :)

Edited by RubyStar

My animals are always refered to as my kids. They are treated as the species they are, but they are spoilt and loved.

I don't have kids, I did however hand raise my Abby (mini pony) from 2 days of age, which was very much like having a newborn. Up every 2-3 hours for feeds, toileting, cleaning etc. If any of them was to ACTUALLY be my child, she would be it.

You can't confused.gif

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Mine can climb through the doggy door too! :laugh:

I realised today - my dog can't possibly be a child because when I asked him to help me bring in the shopping he didn't do anything. He didn't even whinge. Or grunt.

'nuff said ;)

:laugh: :laugh: Yes indeed! If I ask my teenage dogs to do something they don't roll their eyes or huff off into their bedrooms!! :rofl:

You can't confused.gif

:laugh:

+ 1 LOL. Wish I'd thought of that when my step kids where little.

...thinking the dog loves to be hugged (some might, most don't), ...

You need to meet some Borzoi Weasels! :D Some might not like hugging, but the vast majority do... Maybe they're anti-dogs in regard to hugging??

Same goes for the majority of Samoyeds.

I am yet to meet one that doesn't love a cuddle, even from a total stranger.

...thinking the dog loves to be hugged (some might, most don't), ...

You need to meet some Borzoi Weasels! :D Some might not like hugging, but the vast majority do... Maybe they're anti-dogs in regard to hugging??

Same goes for the majority of Samoyeds.

I am yet to meet one that doesn't love a cuddle, even from a total stranger.

I'd worry I would get lost in a sea of cloudy white fluffiness and never emerge! :laugh:

We refer to our pugs as our "children". Our friends and family refer to them as "The Children" as in "Where are the children? How are the Children?"

Even though we don't actually think of them as actual children, they are our family. They are dogs and are treated like dogs but We love them as we would love children. We love them like we love members of our immediate family and our extended family. They are cared for with the same dedication that we would afford children. Many people say I look after my dogs better than some people look after their children and this is true. My sister also says she would like to be reincarnated as one of my dogs.

You can't quantify or put restrictions on what Love is. We have a huge capacity to love, whether it be our OH's our children, the family we grew up in or our pets. We can love more than one thing/person at a time.

I think sometimes people refer to their dogs/pets as their children as a way of expressing the depth of feeling they have for them.

Otherwise, why do we greive for them so deeply?

I've been thinking about this a lot...and decided that when I look at my two, Basil and Polly, I see Basil and Polly...two beautiful little beings. Whether they are for me, children or not, doesn't really matter. It's THEM I see and them I love.

No they're not my stand in human children, we don't have any but they are integral members of our family just like everyone else. Their health i.e. mental, physical & emotional along with nutrition, comfort, well being and standard of living is a priority but they do not have the same equal rights like myself and OH in our household.

Mine get birthdays with Frosty Paws icecream and candles - the kids love doing that :)

We cuddle on the lounge - Whippets definatly do cuddles.

I tell them we are going to Nana's

I tell them to go and annoy their dad

They get Christmas presents and give their "cousins" - McArthur, Fela and Silvy a Christmas present as well.

They are dogs they go into a dog yard when I go out and get fed dried bull penis's which they love. We train and they are treated as dogs.

I have children, they are not a child substitute - one I got as an 8 weeks old puppy when I had a 5MO baby and a 2yo toddler.

I am not weird or mentally damaged in any way - well okay I think I am normal at least :) I enjoy my dogs because they are dogs and they are not as messy as my kids!

Mine get birthdays with Frosty Paws icecream and candles - the kids love doing that :)

We cuddle on the lounge - Whippets definatly do cuddles.

I tell them we are going to Nana's

I tell them to go and annoy their dad

They get Christmas presents and give their "cousins" - McArthur, Fela and Silvy a Christmas present as well.

They are dogs they go into a dog yard when I go out and get fed dried bull penis's which they love. We train and they are treated as dogs.

I have children, they are not a child substitute - one I got as an 8 weeks old puppy when I had a 5MO baby and a 2yo toddler.

I am not weird or mentally damaged in any way - well okay I think I am normal at least :) I enjoy my dogs because they are dogs and they are not as messy as my kids!

:eek: at the bolded part!!!!

thumbsup1.gif to the rest! Couldn't agree more!