Missy Threw Up

Why don't you just buy the Vets All Natural mix you mix with meat??? would probably workout cheaper than what you are doing now.

I was thinking of it a 5kg bag wouldn't last 2 golden retrievers,a whippet and a chihuahua long. plus 1 cup of the vets all natural mixed to a cup of raw meat seemed like alot of vets all natural mix to me, eg feeding more of the mix then meat.

Given a 5kg bag lasts my 60kg dog around 40 days I am guessing it would last you as long if not longer.

I've also found that the dogs need a lot less than the suggested amount on the packet too..

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of doing this one day chicken mince in the morning then at night chicken mince,chicken giblets,little bit of chicken heart, Then the next day chciken and roo mince in the morning at night chicken and roo mince with roo chunks. Now could I still add some flaxseed oil and the vets all natural health booster to there night meals? the next day they will get a bone in the morning at night some mince with chunky meat. Is this still to complicated?

So basically the entire discussion just had here has been an utter waste of time because this basically is the diet you said Missy threw up.

Where's the calcium/phosphorus balance in this????

Kerist but you are frustrating.

Did you READ what I said about flaxseed oil?

Seriously feed whatever the hell you want but save us the trouble of discussing nutrition with you and stop bloody asking for advice you simply NEVER take. :banghead:

I seriously think that MTS likes to read what she has written and start a huge debate on the subject lol

I don't understand why you haven't just gone and got the Earthborn Chicken vareiety if you think she is going to like it? I'm not familiar with this brand of food but does it have a 100% satisfaction garantee like other super premium foods? It seems like you only really gave Missy two days on the new kibble, did you do a transition period from the raw to kibble or just a straight swap? If I were a dog, I'm sure I would prefer a raw diet to kibble and wouldn't be happy if the food was immediately swapped over. As for recommendations by others, people can reccommend as many different foods as they want but it appears your deadset on going for the Earthborn route and are just going to get it, no matter what is said about other brands. Your not going to know what works for Missy until you try it but when you do find whatever works just stick with it, if that just happens to be Optimum or some cheap ass homebrand food then feed it, if it's working then that's the main thing imo. Some dogs do great on budget kibbles and not so great on super premium.

You also go on about raw being to expensive to feed for four dogs. If Missy does well on raw why not stick to it? If your other three do well on Black Hawk why not keep them on that? Did you not think through the scenario of "what if all four dogs can't/won't eat the same diet" before adding Missy to the pack?

MtS your raw mix isn't bad ..keep at it for a few more weeks, and see how things go.

Did you have a read of THIS THREAD ? http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/172826-rawnatural-chitchat/page__hl__raw+feeding

Grab a cuppa, take a breath , get a note pad & pencil..and enjoy the reading - it is interesting stuff! :)

Don't confuse yourself ..just take it slow , and if a dog looks healthy,and is enjoying the food it gets ... you've done well.

potatoes compared to wheat,rice,oats,corn. I think potatoes are better then wheat and corn will ever be. The only way you will get a complete grain free food is to feed raw.

Seriously....I would personally rather sit down to a lovely bowl of rolled oats or creamed corn on toast than a plate of boring old mashed potato any day. Why would it be any different to dogs ???

Why are you finding it so hard to feed your dogs...really is it all that complicated??? My two very active border collies 19 kilo & 23 kilo get a cup of Black Hawk Kibble at night with either 100g of meat or fish, & either a raw egg yolk or coconut oil. In the mornings they get half a turkey neck. I don't try to complicate their food. My girl has NEVER farted in public, she is just too well mannered. The young boy has farted twice in the car in the last twelve months...but then again that's a boy thing :) You must have a lot of bags of kibble at your place. Probably the only thing wrong with your Missy is that your are changing her food too often & too quickly. Those pictures you put up of her in another thread...she looks pretty healthy to me, if not a little overweight for a whippet. But that's just my opinion & I know you will not take any notice of it anyway. Decide what you are going to feed Missy & stick to it. Your other dogs are obviously quite happy with what they get.

^^ I agree - why so complicated?

My staffy gets Black Hawk kibble, some minced chicken frames and a dollop of natural yogurt and a dash of flaxseed oil in the morning, and some chicken wings for dinner, and he looks GREAT, isn't stinky and has bounds of energy.

Some of you are worse than horse people! A scoop of fifty different things isn't better than the right amount of a couple that work well for you.

My greyhounds do brilliantly on minced chicken carcasses and supermarket dry food. Tried all raw, tried expensive dry food. Found something they all do well on and have stuck to it.

Yep, my dogs have had expensive premium dry and raw and much prefer a good supermarket brand and raw meaty bones regularly, they also get organs as treats every now and then, they love a lamb heart!

They are healthy, beautiful looking, have nice shiny coats and are at a perfect weight.

Mine are fed mostly raw chicken, lamb and beef. Not all in one feed, some days they have chicken wings, other days lamb offcuts or beef bones.

They're not overly keen on dry except for Takoda, who loves her Supercoat. Aswell as their normal tucker, they get huge bones (my Son Jack, calls them dinosaur legs :laugh: ) just to knaw on, once or twice a week. I give them sardines occassionally and make them homemade treats (biscuits) - but they don't get them all the time, just occassionally. They also get dinner scraps. (vege's, pasta, rice, meat with no bones etc). In the cooler months I'll boil up huge pots of chicken broth (no bones) or mince with vege's and rice and add a little garlic to it. They love it.

They're happy, healthy and of a normal weight. :)

A pic of Takoda taken the other night with a 'dinosaur' leg. :laugh:

7350172380_3960e48888.jpg

I just can't believe that after 10 plus pages, the person asking for advice still hasn't taken it aboard.....though given the OP previous threads I really shouldn't be surprised

Feeding dogs isn't exactly rocket science especially when you have a 'normal' dog.

Edited by tollersowned

I just can't believe that after 10 plus pages, the person asking for advice still hasn't taken it aboard.....though given the OP previous threads I really shouldn't be surprised

Feeding dogs isn't exactly rocket science especially when you have a 'normal' dog.

More fool us for keeping the thread going :laugh:

I guess the next time she wants advice she won't be surprised that no one has given her any ... I also don't get why it's so complicated , I feed mine the same everyday because they do well on it.. even down to the weight of the food so then I know I can control what weight they are :)

I have taken the advice given and have choosen a kibble and am sticking with it, Missy seems to be eating it. I got earthborn holistic grain free primitive natural which somepeople believe isn't a good kibble. Petstock said to get her to eat kibble again to stop all raw food even in the morning, they said in the morning instand of raw food give a cooked meat roll. So I'm giving Missy prime meat roll in the morning and earthborn at night. The person at petstock said if I let the dog choose what it wants to eat,the dog would maccas everytime over quality kibble. He also said I may never be able to feed raw meat to her as she will stop eatting kibble and want raw.

The person at petstock said if I let the dog choose what it wants to eat,the dog would maccas everytime over quality kibble. He also said I may never be able to feed raw meat to her as she will stop eatting kibble and want raw.

the salesman (NOT DOG NUTRITION expert) has you buying what he wants you to .

...and the bit I've made bold is untrue .. our dogs eat whatever's in the bowl.. sometimes meat, sometimes whole rabbits, sometimes kibble .... they don't eat- they get hungry. So, they eat. A healthy hungry dog will eat pretty well anything :)

From time to time I have been to Petstock and absolutely cringe at the advice being given to unsuspecting well meaning dog owners. They are there to sell their products and as has been pointed out, they have NO nutritional qualifications. I actually went there to get a 3kg. bag of puppy kibble which the breeder of my baby puppy fed. If they had smaller bags, I would have bought one of them. Within a couple of days, I had him switched to raw, without any fuss or bother. I still have more than half of the kibble left and he's been here with us for 5 weeks now. If I offer the kibble now and there is raw as well in the bowl, he goes for the raw first. There must be something in that. He's a clever boy and knows what's best for him lol. Honestly, MTS I can't understand why you haven't listened to some very good advice given here, and instead gone with the advice of a pet store employee.

I have taken the advice given and have choosen a kibble and am sticking with it, Missy seems to be eating it. I got earthborn holistic grain free primitive natural which somepeople believe isn't a good kibble. Petstock said to get her to eat kibble again to stop all raw food even in the morning, they said in the morning instand of raw food give a cooked meat roll. So I'm giving Missy prime meat roll in the morning and earthborn at night. The person at petstock said if I let the dog choose what it wants to eat,the dog would maccas everytime over quality kibble. He also said I may never be able to feed raw meat to her as she will stop eatting kibble and want raw.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

There you go....eight whole pages of advise & MTS goes & gets her advise from a salesperson from a pet shop :rofl: I feel so sorry for that poor little whippet which she is hell bent on experimenting on. :( I think maybe MTS likes to hear the sound of her own voice :laugh:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:laugh: I just read this thread and could have written the outcome without reading it :o .

There you go....eight whole pages of advise & MTS goes & gets her advise from a salesperson from a pet shop :rofl: I feel so sorry for that poor little whippet which she is hell bent on experimenting on. :( I think maybe MTS likes to hear the sound of her own voice :laugh:

:rofl::banghead::rofl::banghead: