Sick Border Collie Pup

Owey

There was a court case a while back against a breeder which as won by the owner of a pup who had TNS. If you look through the archives here you will likely find threads on it (the names etc are not coming to me at the moment..) Owey it may be worth quoting the case to the breeder of your pup as 'leverage'? Just a thought....

That court case was in fact won by the breeder because it was BEFORE the DNA test was available and it was the first reported case in NSW. That case prompted us to make sure we had a test so nothing like that would ever happen to any dedicated breeder again. Even though the breeder won it dragged through the courts for 18 months and the breeder ended up a few thousand dollars out of pocket. The owner ended up a lot more out of pocket as they had legal fees and all court costs.

In that case the puppy was in fact 9 weeks, not 7 weeks like Bailey. The puppy became ill within a few days and the breeder did the right thing, immediately requested the puppy be returned for a refund, plus they offered a replacement puppy. The owners refused and went to SASH who ran every test under the sun, running up thousands of dollars in a few days. At that time TNS had been reported in the breed elsewhere but it was thought to be very rare, a bone marrow biopsy was the only way to get a preliminary diagnosis and it could only be confirmed at autopsy.

thanks for that. My memory was rather shakey on it. glad you could clear it up with the facts.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a court case a while back against a breeder which as won by the owner of a pup who had TNS. If you look through the archives here you will likely find threads on it (the names etc are not coming to me at the moment..) Owey it may be worth quoting the case to the breeder of your pup as 'leverage'? Just a thought....

Greyshaft

That was it!!

Thank you everyone for your support and love it has been overwhelming.

I hate to vent but I am sure you will understand our pain. It is killing me to hear my 8 year old daughter, once again, crying herself to sleep over the loss of her beloved pup. Even a trip to the park turns into an ordeal when you see a BC being taken for a walk. I hate living this nightmare, being a parent is hard at the best of times...at the moment it is hell.

I am thinking about writing a piece for the local papers regarding this situation, I am serious about trying to prevent it happening again.

Thanks again xoxo

Michaela (Baileys mum)

I think that sounds like a great idea. Maybe your daughter might like to write (or draw) something to go with it - that might also make people realise how widely the pain from something like this reaches.

Does your daughter have something to remember Bailey with? I only ask as that has always helped me a little bit - when my first cat died my Dad bought me a stone painted as a cat, which still sits on my dresser. And I have a soft toy my grandma gave me for my 2nd cat. I spent a lot of time holding them after my cats had gone. When I lost Emma last year I bought a necklace for myself (and also one that Kenzie has on her collar) that holds her ashes, so she is with me whenever I need her close by.

Again, I'm so sorry that you have gone through this. i hope that there will be a bundle of furry joy for you in the future. :hug:

Your poor girl, one of the hardest things for a parent to see, their very upset child and they can't fix the hurt or take it away.

Your writing something sounds like a fantastic idea, and I agree with maybe your daughter contribting something as well, if she feels up to it of course, poor mite. Still thinking of you all.

This whole ordeal is so very hard for us adults to come to terms with let alone an 8 year old little girl :( My heart goes out to her & all of your family Owey in this terribly sad situation.

I think the whole writing thing is an awesome idea. If nothing else it is very good therapy for her & may help process this very sad moment in her young life.

Maybe do some extra fun things with her and try not to talk or let her hear you talk about this horrible ordeal you have been through.. Children don't miss a trick ..

Are you thinking about going through a registered breeder and trying again sometime, maybe take her and meet some adult BC's of prospective breeders if you are might help :-) i wouldnt blame you though if you were not :-( big hugs take care... xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just to let you all know that the refund came through for the purchase of Bailey, including the costs for his DNA testing and vet bills. Whilst we a happy we have received the refund, obviously we would rather have Bailey here getting under our feet and chewing our things. :p

I know I have said it many times already, but thanks to you all for the help and support you have provided us. I will continue to view the forums here and on the odd occasion may even be able to provide someone, somewhere, some advice that no-one else has managed to provide, but I doubt it. LOL.

More than likely it will be me, asking you all, for nuggets of wisdom regarding a new BC pup when the time is right.

Many thanks and cheers

Michael & Michaela

Here here Jules P, + 1 from me. Really pleased you are not out of pocket Owey but I'm sure that you & your family could have done without all the anguish & heart ache :( There just isn't a price on that, is there?

I so do hope when all your family are ready you can relax & truly enjoy your new B.C. puppy & all the love & warmth they can bring to a family home :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Great to hear you got a refund, but yep you would much prefer a puppy running around your feet.

You have gone on such an emotional learning journey that I know one day you will be able to help someone out. A terrible way to have to learn new things.

Hugs to you all and I hope you do hang around :)

Thank goodness you don't have to go through any long-drawn process to get the refund, And it suggests that maybe the 'breeder' has also learnt from this horrible experience.

I hope you and your family are doing OK - and that the right puppy (BC of course, not that I'm biased :) ) will comne your way sooner rather than later, so that you can relive the joyful times you had with little Bailey.

Owey, I am pleased to here they refunded all costs and you are not out of pocket from this awful experience. I hope that they have also learnt a lot too.

I wish you a happy healthy puppy when the time is right for you and your family.

Owey, I am pleased to here they refunded all costs and you are not out of pocket from this awful experience. I hope that they have also learnt a lot too.

I wish you a happy healthy puppy when the time is right for you and your family.

Couldn't agree more. I hope you find your happy, healthy BC puppy when you're all ready to begin the joys of owning a loving puppy.

• 2 weeks later...

What is TNS?

Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome

Neutrophils are made in the bone marrow and released into the blood stream to fight infections.

In TNS affected pups the neutrophils aren't released into the blood stream, so the pups have weakened immune systems.

Sometimes the pups look 'ratty', and sometimes they fail to thrive. Sometimes they seem normal until the first or second vaccination.

There is no cure.

Luckily, thanks to the amazing research and dedication of the late Dr Alan Wilton, we have a DNA test, so we can know the status of breeding stock and avoid breeding two carriers together.

This is a heart breaking story. Thank you for posting it and seeing it through to the end.

I have a friend that is waiting on her BC puppy to be born, so I've asked her to make sure that the Breeder has tested for TNS and has the all clear. I would not like to have something as heart breaking as this happen to my friend.

:rainbowbridge:

This is a heart breaking story. Thank you for posting it and seeing it through to the end.

I have a friend that is waiting on her BC puppy to be born, so I've asked her to make sure that the Breeder has tested for TNS and has the all clear. I would not like to have something as heart breaking as this happen to my friend.

:rainbowbridge:

So long as one parent is normal/clear for TNS the puppies cannot be affected, even if the other parent is a carrier. The same applies to CL, which is also fatal and the eye condition CEA. All Breeders of Border Collies must know the DNA status of their breeding stock to make sure that 2 carriers of any of these three conditions are not bred together.

Reputable breeders also hip and elbow score the parents. So this is the minimum testing that should be done.

• 1 month later...