At The Emergency Vet

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of painkillers were they?

I know someone else who had a puppy eat a whole packet of Voltarin and survived. It did strip the lining of the gut and she was very ill but recovered eventually with no after affects.

1344147068[/url]' post='5920463']

What type of painkillers were they?

I know someone else who had a puppy eat a whole packet of Voltarin and survived. It did strip the lining of the gut and she was very ill but recovered eventually with no after affects.

Damage to the gut lining may potentially lead to a loss of protein through the intestine (aka protein losing enteropathy). The owner may want to get a full blood panel done at least every year to be sure. Unfortunately, the fecal API test, which is a non-invasive test done on a poo sample, isn't available in Australia and a definitive diagnosis has to be done via biopsy.

How frightening for you. Fingers crossed they come through ok.

I'm assuming they're still at the Emergency Clinic?

Perhaps you could ask if they could be transferred to your regular vet for the remainder of their fluid therapy?

We very frequently have patients come to us after the initial emergency treatment for hospitalisation, monitoring, recovery etc as obviously our hospitalisation costs are significantly less than the Emergency Clinic's.