Are People Rude Or Am I Too Sensitive?

GSDowner

My German Shepherd dog just turned 10.

I love him dearly and every birthday reminds me that dogs, especially german shepherds

do not live long.

My dog is a big part of our family. He is well looked after, beautiful coat, slim, clear eyes etc.

he just has a bit of white under his chin. He is a cancer survivor. In my eyes he looks like any

adult dog. He doesn't look old at all.

Almost every time I walk him I hear comments about his age.

People point him to their children saying: 'Look, a really old dog";

others, who know him: "he is getting old". I asked one man why he thinks he is old and he

responded: "he walks really slowly" (my dog walks slowly as he'd rather sniff than sprint")

One person said her german shepherd died at 10.

I said to one woman: "how can you say such a thing, he is NOT old" (in fact I wanted to say "Shut up")

She apologised.

I never comment on other dogs' ages. I stop ask about their age, gender, always find something nice to say.

Edited by GSDowner

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugh, I hate it too :(

It's like he's reached a certain age and all anyone wants to talk about is how he's going to die -soon.

The only thing that looks old on the D (he's 10 in Oct) is his white chin, but he went grey at 18months LOL

"Yeah he's old, but you're ugly."

:) I read no rudeness in those particular comments ...

they are people's impressions .... and will float away on the wind ..........

you know your dog, and what he has survived ..you love him .

let those feelings act like a force field .. smile sweetly and walk on .

:hug:

EFS

Edited by persephone

Guest donatella

There are so many people walking this planet with half a brain cell it amazes me they manage to put one foot in front of the other most days. Ignore the insensitive b*stards, you know how well loved and looked after your dog is, tell people he's like a fine wine, just keeps getting better with age!

I think you're taking it to heart too much, you need to remember that 10 is old for some dogs, especially large dogs. I hope that your dog has many a good year left in him, but the unfortunate thing is a lot of people do lose their best friends at this age

Guest donatella

GoldenGirl85

I DO find it rude; as rude as someone calling another person "really old"

I agree, its noones business who bloody cares if other peoples dogs die at 10 years? its not your dog!!

GoldenGirl85

I DO find it rude; as rude as someone calling another person "really old"

I'm confused, why did you ask the question then? You asked if people were being rude or if you were too sensitive, I replied saying I think you're taking it heart... Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear

People just don't think before they say things, try not to take it to heart.

I always get looks of surprise like :eek: you have 4 dogs geez you have your hands full. It drives me insane especially when all 4 dogs are sitting nicely and minding their own business! I have even had that comment from mothers with ferrel children running amuck, I feel like saying "Me with my hands full, you may want to take a look in your own back yard" :laugh:

I wouldn't take it to heart... I was sensitive at first when people made comments, but then now I just shrug it off. people will always makes comment on stuff, if it's not the age, it will be something else.

People have said a lot worst when I take Charlie for a walk.

Edited by W Sibs

Tell you what, my father's side of the family has owned nothing but GSDs as far back as I can rememeber and all of those dogs lived well into their teens. The oldest I remember died when I was very young at the ripe old age of 17, so in most people's book that dog was waaay beyond his use by date....

Even now I know a lady with a grumpy old Great Dane bitch who is 14 years old....

If your dog is well and not looking like he is about to drop or in terrible pain then I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to have many more years in front of him

I wish i was able to get those comments. I lost my dog at the age of 8.

I also think you are taking too much out of the comments. I work in a pet supply shop and when people ask me about my 11 year old cat on my tag they often make comments

the fact is our oldies ARE old. Why get so upset over something that is true?

I think you're being a bit sensitive. I doubt the people who say it are meaning to be mean, they are just commenting on what they see in front of them. If mean, if he had a green coat and people commented on that, would you be offended?

I don't get offended when people comment how young and little my puppy is - age is a fact of life, whether it be young or old, or inbetween!

hamlet is very grey , at 8/9 .yes, I do get 'old' comments ..and if I do respond, just say ..'yes, he is getting old' .... and continue on.

Same here. Kayla is black so her greys really stand out, and I've been getting the 'old' comments for years. It's never bothered me.

I can understand that if someone is talking about your dog's age in a negative manner, you may feel offended by this.

I tend to interpret comments about my dog's age differently, though. When people comment on how old my greyhound looks, I am always very PROUD to say "yes, she's nearly 14, and that is quite old for a greyhound." I am so pleased that my gorgeous hound is still healthy enough to come out for walks and I love telling that to anyone who'll listen. :)

To sensitive .

You say people are always making comments about your dogs age well maybe they see an older dog than you do.

I groom/board dogs & some people don't accept there dogs age or how old they are becoming .

Maybe your not seeing what others do.

I personally embrace the age stages my dogs through & enjoy every bit of being a puppy to being a golden oldie

I wish i was able to get those comments. I lost my dog at the age of 8.

I also think you are taking too much out of the comments. I work in a pet supply shop and when people ask me about my 11 year old cat on my tag they often make comments

the fact is our oldies ARE old. Why get so upset over something that is true?

Teebs 11 is a young buck, my girl Holly is 20. :laugh: Now thats old!!