Are People Rude Or Am I Too Sensitive?

GSDowner

And after loosing my beautiful 4 year old Samoyed earlier this year, well, I'd much rather have had him live to a ripe old age and have people comment on it then to not have him at all.

agree

Yeah me too.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Staffy is about 12...he's been going grey for a few years now, and people often comment on it, but not in a bad way. "Awww, look at his grey face, dear old boy!" or "bless, him he's getting on a bit, your lad, isn't he?"....I've never heard malice or bad intention in the tones, just affection and admiration.

Maybe you feel unhappy about the comments because they remind us that our dogs don't live forever, and that makes you feel bad?

I haven't known a dog yet who's seen the necessity to lie about their age. :laugh:

I'm going to be blunt. A 10 year old dog IS a senior, no ifs or buts about it, and their diet plan, exercise level and care should take this into consideration. You love and care for your dog and yet you are in denial that he's no longer young. It's not like these people are saying "OMG your dog is going to drop dead any second." Some of them may have loved an oldie themselves and have a soft spot for them. I lost my boy at 16 1/2 last year and I treasure dearly every year he lived past everyone's expectations, including my own. If I said to you "What a lovely old boy" would you still be offended? Because I can tell you right now, I'm one of those with a soft spot for the oldies. Ella is now my oldest at 10 and a half so she's also an oldie, and I'm actually glad to be reminded of that. She's so youthful that sometimes I forget and I don't want to push her too hard.

With today's throw-away mentality people are probably delighted to see someone who obviously loves and cares for their dog enough for them to still be around - I'd be seeing it as a compliment, not rudeness.

Totally agree with these comments. I have always talked about people's oldies with love in my heart. Why can't the OP accept these comments as such?

Yes, I think you are too sensitive. Sometimes people say things without really thinking too hard, and I don't think they mean it to hurt. I was walking my mini schnauzers at the park the other day and overheard a couple of people saying they would never have a weird looking dog like that. In fact, he had just been professionally groomed and in my eyes, were a sight to behold. Obviously only in my eyes. Should I be upset? No, it's not worth it. I know what my boys offer me in love and companionship and I think to myself, well it's their loss. My last mini was put to sleep at 14.5 when it was time and comments I got from some people was to let him go because he's old, but my boy told me when it was time. Glad I listened to him rather than well meaning people I met on our walks.

Too sensitive. Your darling dog wont care so why waste the energy on getting upset about it. On bath day I say to my dogs - come on filthy mongrels. Time for a bath. The only word that upsets them is 'bath'

I think you're taking it to heart too much, you need to remember that 10 is old for some dogs, especially large dogs. I hope that your dog has many a good year left in him, but the unfortunate thing is a lot of people do lose their best friends at this age

agree, 10 is old for a larger breed dog. We often don't see it ourselves. At some stage of each of my dogs lives I have always gotten a surprise, usually when seeing the latest photo, at the fact they have got old. When did it happen? How did it happen? Why didn't I see it before this? I know the answers in my head but in my heart - no.

Way too sensitive :(

You should walk your senior with pride and take all the comments as compliments like I do :) . For the last few years I have had senior black labs up to 15 years of age who get way more attention and comments than my youngsters when we are out on walks/outings. My current senior lab boy is just over 14 years old and he gets lots of attention from kids and adults alike with kids screaming out (as kids do :laugh: ) to their mum or dad about the "old dog" (very recognisable with a black lab with greying muzzle :) ) and then either running over to pat the "old dog" or asking their mum or dad if they can pat the "old dog" or just making a comment about the "old dog" not in a derogatory sense, just stating facts as kids do as they are so honest.

I have no issue with anyone, kids or adults calling him what he is, as most call him an old dog, an oldie or old boy as a term of endearment, as I have met so many kids and adults who have a great respect for the oldies and my oldies have always loved the extra attention they get. Majority of the adults strike up a conversation with me asking about him, how old he is?, how is he doing?, what do I feed him?, does he have any health problems? etc ewtc and give him numerous compliments about his longevity and ability to be able to still enjoy walks and swims etc and they all make a fuss over him, pat him and he just loves all the attention. I have met so many people who just love the oldies and aren't afraid to show it or tell you and quite often they tell me about their current or past dogs and some make the comment that they hope their dogs are as lucky as my dogs (past and present) and get to live to the same age in good health. With the adults that have stopped to talk to me over the years when I have been out and about with my seniors, I have found the age groups span all generations and the gender split is very equal. :)

Enjoy your walks with your "oldie" and just lighten up on taking any comments to heart as majority of people who make them are actually not making them in a derogatory sense. :)

People just don't know GSD's I think, I have had the comments that my boys look old due to the white fur on the end of their muzzles. One was 1 year old and the other 1.5 years at the time!

Yes, my German Shepherd has always had white muzzle

I also want to add that most people here who are saying their dog is old - have a 15 yo dog, mine is only 10.

I don't mind that people talk about my elderly dogs that way. It's a conversation starter and it's nice to see people paying attention enough to recognise that they are greying, or slow or not as spritely as they used to be.

People just don't know GSD's I think, I have had the comments that my boys look old due to the white fur on the end of their muzzles. One was 1 year old and the other 1.5 years at the time!

I also want to add that most people here who are saying their dog is old - have a 15 yo dog, mine is only 10.

I have plenty of old dogs & just lost my pride & joy at 11 ,10 years is old for any dog every year after that is a bonus.

I have a 9 yr old who is a spritely as they come (large breed)

My old boy was old & had issues & i treasured every day we had .

As a side note my GSD died at 5 yrs .

Your dog is old embrace it & enjoy it for what it is.

Some people dogs may live to 15 doesn't mean they lived a great life ,some dogs are super for that age ,some are just kept alive to make there owners happy.

Age is what you make of it ,if your dog is happy & healthy then you are very lucky ,amny people loss there dogs at a young age & never get to feel the joy of havinga friend in his senior years .

You can't compare apples with oranges.

Some breeds age earlier some don't .

The average age of all dogs in Australia is 3 or 4 or some ridiculously low age. Old dogs are special and dog lovers notice when a dog looks old. When people see a person with an old dog, past its prime and needing more care, they may make assumptions about the type of dog owner you might be, and I would see any comment as complimentary.

My pure bred GSD's never got past 12, the cross bred got to 13, so in my eyes 10 is old. Same for the greyhounds, never had one past 12. I have had a smaller cross bred dog who lived to 15, 2 cats who lived to 15 and 18.

Your dog is old embrace it & enjoy it for what it is.

Some people dogs may live to 15 doesn't mean they lived a great life ,some dogs are super for that age ,some are just kept alive to make there owners happy.

Age is what you make of it ,if your dog is happy & healthy then you are very lucky ,amny people loss there dogs at a young age & never get to feel the joy of havinga friend in his senior years .

agree

I have a 10 year old dog, and yes every birthday reminds me that she won't have too much time with me. But my 10 year old dog is a small breed, a breed that is well known to live beyond 17, she is and has always been healthy yet I still see her as an old dog, and her having a suspected stroke on the weekend has just reminded me of that fact.

So what if people comment on your dogs age? people comment on my 'old' dog who most likely has another 6 good years in her. You need to stop taking offence to people calling your dog old and instead boast about how your senior is in good health despite his age

I wish i was able to get those comments. I lost my dog at the age of 8.

I also think you are taking too much out of the comments. I work in a pet supply shop and when people ask me about my 11 year old cat on my tag they often make comments

the fact is our oldies ARE old. Why get so upset over something that is true?

This.

I have a ten year old dog and he is old. Being old means he may very well die sooner, rather than later, even with the best of care.

None of these facts are offensive, they just are.

To the OP.. trying owning a breed of dog that has to wear a muzzle. When you've had to defend your dog's temperament for the fifth or sixth time in a row on a short walk around the block, it helps put things in perspective. I'd much rather someone pointed out my dog as being old than pointed him out as "one of them vicious race dogs that bites people".

My dog is not even 7, and I tell him every second day he is getting old and fat :rofl: I lost my girl before she was three I think, (she was a rescue, so not sure exactly how old.) and I would do anything to have her back now. She would be about 8 maybe 9 by now.

I think you are taking it to heart too much also, but I understand if people were turning their noses up or something like that, but it sounds like they were just general comments in passing, not intended to offend.

Well, I look at my dog and there is no way I would say he looks old

and another thing - I had never thought 10 was old for a dog, german shepherd.

but having read the responses I realised 10 IS old

Genuine question...what age did you consider to be old?

Most larger breeds don't live far beyond 12, of course there is exceptions, but that is their general life span. Like I said earlier I hope your boy does have plenty left in him, but I'm just wondering what age you do consider old for a dog?