Are People Rude Or Am I Too Sensitive?

GSDowner

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our boy was put down recently at almost 15. At 10 he was diagnosed with ehart disease and we thought if he made 12 we would be very lucky. In the end his heart didn't kill him.

When people commented he was old I usually answered no he is ancient!!! He looked old, was deaf lost a lot of his sight and we had to be very careful with him. I was proud he happily got to where he did.

I lost my girl at 8 and a half quite suddenly from an incideous disease. I never got the chance to see her old, I never got the chance to have her as an old dog. I hated that for a very long time. I was very angry with that.

I think you are being too sensitive, you may not see your dog is old, you may not want to see your dog is old, but they are just people trying to make conversation. I think if yout hink 12 is old, thinking 11 is only just old is maybe trying to deny the truth.

Rejoice in the fact to get to have an old dog.

Too sensitive I think. People often call my 7 year old greyhound old. It just makes me laugh, she has the most beautiful grey face, and she does look old! I have commented on other people's dogs looking old, as I have a real soft spot for older dogs and I think they're gorgeous.

Probably a bit sensitive. "Old" isn't a criticism, it's just a statement. 10 IS old for most dogs unfortunately. That's just how it is. If someone pointed that out to me, I'd probably say something about how awesome it was to have such a great friend for these last 10 years etc.

You can't change other people's reactions. You can change your own reactions to other people's reactions. So unless you enjoy being offended, I'd recommend trying to take such comments sympathetically.

:thumbsup:

I have a 9.5 year old Rottweiler, Dyzney whom I consider old, though she is not really old. I know some Rottis live til 12 and 13, not common but not that rare either.

This does not mean I think she is about to pass away or that she can't still live a full and meaningful life.

I love oldies. I love having an old dog and I enjoy people commenting on my oldie when they see her out and about. When I get comments on her relating to her being old, I love it. I do not consider it an insult or derogatory in any way.

Dyz is still herding, doing agility, obedience, swimming and basically enjoying the hell out of life and if I can keep her as healthy, happy and fit further into old age, I will be proud and thrilled.

I am unsure why you feel insulted by comments that your dog is old, it is, but it is not an insult, and I doubt such comments would be intended this way.

When I see other older dogs out and about, I often comment and say what a gorgeous oldie they have and how much I love the oldies. I always receive kind, cheerful responses of likeminded owners. Oldies have a wistful worldiness, they are just magical. I have a huge amount of time and respect for them.

If I was you, I would be proud that these people are noticing that you have a happy old dog that you obviously look after well.... but that's just me. :)

Edited by dyzney

my boy is post 8 now...and I am so loving his increasingly venerable status...I am proud that he is such a wonderful animal, whose energy is not remotely curbed by his increasing years...I try to model myself on him, although in dog years he's now (finally) overtaken me!

I am soo grateful for every reply, :heart:

The fact is that I honestly can't see any signs of old age in my dog.

I look at him (and his photos) and see an adult healthy dog with bright eyes etc.

(although he has been through cancer).

Every time I hear comments about his age, I am sincerely surprised, but

perhaps after so many comments I should acknowledge the fact that he IS

perceived as old and he DOES look old to other people.

It's good I learned here that "10" IS in fact old. My neighbour had a ridgeback

who was still walking at 15 and I always thought that's what my dog will be like at that age.

I do too love oldies: there is so much experience in them, so much personality,they

are in tune with us. You see a real connection with them when looking into their eyes.

I guess it's time to educate myself how to look after an oldie.

First of all a thorough "oldie" check up by the vet.

Thanks so much to every person here

Edited by GSDowner

I think there is nothing sweeter than an elderly animal being loved and cared for by their owner.

Me too. :)

Although I would never comment to someone that their dog looks old, I do take notice and it always touches my heart when I see a golden oldie out on a stroll with their master. :heart:

There is a 13yo GSD that comes sometimes to one of the ovals I walk my dog at. And I've heard some people saying how awful it is that the dog is so badly bred - look at it's back end all wobbly. And then I point out how old it is. It's doing really well, and a lot better than some of the labradors and GRs half its age there.

Frosty gets mistook for either much younger or much older than she is. She acts like a puppy (grovels for every greeting), but looks grey (ACD ticking). I don't care. I also don't care much if people get her name (or my name) wrong, her sex wrong, or her age wrong, or even her temperament wrong (that submissive shy thing is just a super friendly display - remember who did the approaching?). Some things just don't matter that much. I never cease to be amazed at how grown adults can give her a belly rub and get her sex wrong as she lies there like a complete trollop with all her paws in the air.

There is a 13yo GSD that comes sometimes to one of the ovals I walk my dog at. And I've heard some people saying how awful it is that the dog is so badly bred - look at it's back end all wobbly. And then I point out how old it is. It's doing really well, and a lot better than some of the labradors and GRs half its age there.

Frosty gets mistook for either much younger or much older than she is. She acts like a puppy (grovels for every greeting), but looks grey (ACD ticking). I don't care. I also don't care much if people get her name (or my name) wrong, her sex wrong, or her age wrong, or even her temperament wrong (that submissive shy thing is just a super friendly display - remember who did the approaching?). Some things just don't matter that much. I never cease to be amazed at how grown adults can give her a belly rub and get her sex wrong as she lies there like a complete trollop with all her paws in the air.

And I thought I was bad at sexing them! :laugh:

The way the "oldies" are attached to their family is quite special.

I've had alot of people comment on my boys age, though I have the opposite problem, no one can guess his age because he still acts (and looks) like a moronic puppy most of the time and he turns 10 in October!! It's only been recently that I've noticed him going white around the muzzle so it was a bit of a shock seeing it :(

Haha we have much the same thing going on here, I have a dog who's maybe 5, people have guessed 6 months old because she's soo grovelly at greetings, she's not silly, she knows how to get the most pats she possibly can. :laugh: People always think she's a boy, she has such a fat little head so I guess she looks boylike to most people. We've got a pink collar, but in these days of metrosexuality that doesn't always help.

It's just harmless mistakes, there's no malice intended, in fact the opposite I think - people are engaging in friendly chatter, which is a nice thing. At least that's how I see it. :shrug:

Fact is we just don't know when they will die. My first dog which was a GSD lived to the age of 16 and died of old age. She may still have years to go, so don't be upset by what others may say.

I agree with most of the posters, I don't think it was said with ill intent at all.

My German Shepherd dog just turned 10.

I love him dearly and every birthday reminds me that dogs, especially german shepherds

do not live long.

My dog is a big part of our family. He is well looked after, beautiful coat, slim, clear eyes etc.

he just has a bit of white under his chin. He is a cancer survivor. In my eyes he looks like any

adult dog. He doesn't look old at all.

Almost every time I walk him I hear comments about his age.

People point him to their children saying: 'Look, a really old dog";

others, who know him: "he is getting old". I asked one man why he thinks he is old and he

responded: "he walks really slowly" (my dog walks slowly as he'd rather sniff than sprint")

One person said her german shepherd died at 10.

I said to one woman: "how can you say such a thing, he is NOT old" (in fact I wanted to say "Shut up")

She apologised.

I never comment on other dogs' ages. I stop ask about their age, gender, always find something nice to say.

Maybe this is about your own emotions that your dog is potentialy nearing the end of its time here?

I'm owned by a 12 year old Great Dane, YES she is VERY old for her breed - I'm proud of her and how old she is and how well she looks and how GREY she is. Yes she is nearing the end of her life - that's just fact.

I think you're being over emotional about very matter of the fact comments - people are making a factual statement, they're not insulting or saying anything offensive. Your dog is 10, it is OLD!

:offtopic: Sorry but I just have to say Wobbly, your sig cracks me up every time I see it, especially the upside down couch/head pic! :rofl:

What an awesome character of a dog you have there!

I was thinking the same thing! so funny!

Hey Sares and Hortfurball,

Heheh Jarrah is a clown, she still works the couch into her comedy routines. XD I'm glad you mentioned this, I was thinking I might update the sig since those pics are years old, but if I do, I will make sure to add photos of some of the more interesting yogic contortions she's been practising. Thinking maybe I should change her microchip details to Pretzel cross. "D