Stupid Precious Mothers

We were having a lovely time at the beach in the off leash park. Gibbs had a new friend and they were racing in and out of the water - well his friend and another dog were - Gibbs rounded them up from the sand and occasionally forgot and raced into the water. Two little boys were playing on the sand and the other dog's mum and I were careful to keep the dogs away. The kids' mums were sitting at the top of the steps gossiping away and occasionally checking the kids.

First one boy, then the other started throwing sand at the dogs. Then one of them followed the dogs and threw sand at them. The mums paid no attention. After this went on quite a few times, one boy came right up to Gibbs and threw sand at him. I said very nicely, " Please don't throw sand at the dog it might hurt him ". This got mummy's attention and she said "He's my child and I will speak to him."

I felt like saying ' then why haven't you ?" but just explained that while my dog was OK, some dogs could react badly to her son's throwing sand at them. Her response was that she has a dog!

I have raised two kids, and am not an anti kid person, but am definitely over the precious mummy types that seem to be on the increase! When my kids were feral and I missed it for some reason, if another mum spoke to them or told them off, I would apologise if I felt my kid had misbehaved. I now understand why schools are complaining about the kids with precious mums:-)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously your dogs present no danger to the public but if I was a mother I would teach my kids not do tease dogs in any ways eg. throwing sand in their face, as you dont know how the dog will react. The mother doesnt know if your dogs are not agressive and if they did anything to the kids, it would be the dogs fault and the dog would be punished for it even if the kids were provoking it.

So I agree that I would too be angry at those kids mother!

Guest Willow

If one of my children threw sand at a dog at the beach i would be mortified. The parents should have been paying more attention to their kids A) because there were other people and animals around and B) because they were near water.

As a parent and a dog owner both things would have outraged me!!!!

You were perfectly within your rights to tell the kid to stop.

It takes a village to raise a child, as they say, and I see no drama with a dog owner telling a child to stop being unkind to their dog if the parent hasn't seen.

Urgh, what an idiot. Of course if a dog had turned around and nipped after being taunted I'm sure the mum would have something different to say.

It's just rude, you were in the right and that's what counts.

Also, why pick the dog beach if she didn't have a dog with her?! Lol

I would have seen red too !! Dearest mummy should have been paying more attention to what her little darlings were doing. Since when is it O.K. to throw sand in a dogs face :mad

I would have said something to stop the child from doing it too. And then something MORE to mum if she didn't like it.

WOW - she should have been thankful that your dog was well behaved enough to not respond, and she should have been more embarrassed that her child was behaving like that and so near to the water without her paying attention. She should have thanked you that you were at least on the ball since she wasn't, and not got all snippy.

It takes a village to raise a child, as they say, and I see no drama with a dog owner telling a child to stop being unkind to their dog if the parent hasn't seen.

Exactly.

And, in this case, when the mother finally noticed and said that she, as the mother, would be the one to speak to her child.... I would have answered,

'Thank you for introducing yourself as his mother. Of course, you will explain to him why those actions were risky and unkind. It could be difficult for you, though... you didn't see those actions. Ah....this is where I came in!'

Kids - especially small boys are viscious creatures. You never know when they will just turn and savagely attack your dog. :eek:

So I put my dog on lead when there are kids around. Just to keep her safe from them. Sigh. If only parents would do the same with their children.

I'm being a bit facetious, not all children (or parents) are so rude but you can't tell from a distance what kind you're looking at so I tend to play it safe. I've seen some really stupid things though. Like small children running up to my dog and then running away screaming and shrieking. Fortunately for me, my dog freaked out and ran back to me and I put her on lead. And I went and explained to the parents - a different dog could reacted quite differently. And that was one of the reasons I make sure I put her on lead way before small children can get near her. They do move quick.

Golly... It's such a shame that kids aren't taught from a young age that throwing sand/rocks/sticks is dangerous?? I mean, not to wrap every kid in cotton wool, but seriously - follow those rules and MOST of the time, everyone should manage to keep their eyeballs.

*steps off soapbox* embarrass.gif

Hope your dog is ok. I would've been furious too...too shy to yell at the stupid mother of the brats but man I would've thunk it in my head eek1.gif

Golly... It's such a shame that kids aren't taught from a young age that throwing sand/rocks/sticks is dangerous?? I mean, not to wrap every kid in cotton wool, but seriously - follow those rules and MOST of the time, everyone should manage to keep their eyeballs.

*steps off soapbox* embarrass.gif

Hope your dog is ok. I would've been furious too...too shy to yell at the stupid mother of the brats but man I would've thunk it in my head eek1.gif

Gibbs is fine, the kid was a lousy thrower thank goodness. What a stupid mother to assume my dog would not react badly to her brat!

I know Gibbs so well that I was sure he wouldn't do so, but how would any strang know that?

I told my hubby about it tonight and he was very impressed that I kept my temper!

I have decided that if I see her again I will speak to her about supervising her child if she doesn't like other people being forced to do so!

Wish I had thrown sand at her face tho :laugh: