Best Vehicles For Dog Trainers

Lollipup

I'm looking at upgrading my car which is my daily driver and my business car for dog training. Currently I drive a Nissan X-Trail and the back is full of gear, plus I transport my own dogs too. I almost always have the back seats down but they are handy to have if ever I need to transport more people.

Ideally I would like to have the car set up with some built in crates plus plenty of room for gear. So for those who have dog related businesses, or just carry a lot of dogs and gear, I would love to see your set ups and suggestions.

I would love to be able to have a custom lockable canopy where it is sheltered but I can open up the sides or something to let air flow through so that if need be I can leave a dog in the back for short periods of time.

Currently I am considering:

A dual cab 4x4 ute with canopy

A commodore or falcon ute with canopy

A van (least appealing option to me)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a dog trainer, just an owner of two large dogs. I have considered the Holden Combo or Berlingo (cannot remember who makes them) and having customised crates built in. believe in some of them you can get rear seats, but this obviously limits room in the cargo area.

I have a 2003 Commodore Station Wagon. I had a shelf installed in the back, so I can slide dog crates on top and the spare tyre sits underneath (donut gas tank). The front half of the shelf is on a piano hinge, so it folds up if I need to. The two 'legs' at the front of the shelf are on hinges, too, so fold up when transporting an item in front of the shelf, or when I put longer items under the shelf.

One photo is of shelf freshly installed, the other is when it was moderately used in a recent camping trip. (Only a two dog trip - easy!)

Good things about this set up:

*Flexible enough to put one or two or three PP40 crates in securely.

*Flexible enough to take a trolley underneath (tyre in back seat), or whatever else I need.

*If I fold down the back seats, I can still transport longer items.

*The piano hinge is very worthwhile when putting heavy items in the car. I don't have to hoist it onto the shelf, but onto the bottom floor of the car.

*I like that I have two handles on either side for securing items in the back. Quite handy.

*I can fold down the seats and put larger crates in the back area.

Bad things about this set up:

*I am limited in crate height.

*The shelf is not easy to remove and reinstall. It stays there permanently.

*I can't sleep in the back of my car because there's a shelf in the way.

*It's hard to reach things at the back of the shelf, and sometimes I have to fold down my back seats in order to reach things at the back of the shelf.

*I would've liked more room at top to put 3x PP40 crates abreast, but because of the tyre's width, this wasn't possible.

*When I transport big dogs, I have to put them in my back seat, as most can't stand up in the back of the car because of the shelf.

post-3433-0-44468400-1345680659_thumb.jpg

post-3433-0-53772300-1345680665_thumb.jpg

I do love the X-trail but could do with more space and something I can set up more customised. Only thing about a van and the x-trail is the heat as I would like to be able to leave a dog inside if needed. I think the x-trail is the ideal dog owner's car if it weren't a business

I am looking at getting either a Ford or Holden station wagon in the next 12 months but not a brand new one as the sloping back takes away a lot of space. I would do similar to Leema and have the greyhounds in the back seat with the foot wells covered in so they have more room.

Well that's the plan now, goodness knows what will really happen when the time comes :laugh:

I do love the X-trail but could do with more space and something I can set up more customised. Only thing about a van and the x-trail is the heat as I would like to be able to leave a dog inside if needed. I think the x-trail is the ideal dog owner's car if it weren't a business

Puppy bars on the Xtrail.

I've had a Citroen Berlingo for the past 10 years and it is a fantastic dog car. I thought I'd miss having the seats in the back, but I never have. I have mine fitted out to fit folded wire crates, securapen, umbrella etc. under the dogs. Below is an old pic, I have put in a divider so the dogs are in two sections now and the plan was to put gates on the back so the van doors could be open with the dogs still secure when parked somewhere. It just never happened, but I have seen similar vehicles (the VW Caddy has become popular in recent years) with the back gates and they work very well. You could have the area under the dogs custom made to suit your own requirements, there are professionals that make some very nice ones, my Dad did mine :) I have a few ideas of what I'd do different next time.

car.jpg

Edited by FHRP

I've had a Citroen Berlingo for the past 10 years and it is a fantastic dog car. I thought I'd miss having the seats in the back, but I never have. I have mine fitted out to fit folded wire crates, securapen, umbrella etc. under the dogs. Below is an old pic, I have put in a divider so the dogs are in two sections now and the plan was to put gates on the back so the van doors could be open with the dogs still secure when parked somewhere. It just never happened, but I have seen similar vehicles (the VW Caddy has become popular in recent years) with the back gates and they work very well. You could have the area under the dogs custom made to suit your own requirements, there are professionals that make some very nice ones, my Dad did mine :) I have a few ideas of what I'd do different next time.

how do your dogs get in? via the side door and is it lower or do they jump up onto the back? what would you do differently?

I think I am leaning toward either a falcon/holden ute or a dual cab 4x4 ute. The advantage with the sports utes is they are lower to the ground and bigger tray. But 4x4 might be handy too and a diesel ute may be more economical (?) plus having extra seats is good too. Does anyone have either of these set ups?

I think I am leaning toward either a falcon/holden ute or a dual cab 4x4 ute. The advantage with the sports utes is they are lower to the ground and bigger tray. But 4x4 might be handy too and a diesel ute may be more economical (?) plus having extra seats is good too. Does anyone have either of these set ups?

I thought about something like this but worried about getting an old or sick dog in one. I've had enough trouble getting old/ill dogs into my Mazda to make me very aware of this aspect. I don't trade my cars very often and I'm on my own so ease of getting dogs in is very important to me. Just another thing to think of :)

I am shopping around at the moment and have test-driven the Hyundai iLoad - absolutely bloody briliant!

The iLoad would make a fantastic "Dog" Car. So much room..... endless versatility.

You would soon become used to the 'size' of it.... doesn't really feel like a Van to drive and great on fuel.

I'd be opting for the Turbo Diesel.

Edited by jerojath

how do your dogs get in? via the side door and is it lower or do they jump up onto the back? what would you do differently?

As adults they jump in the back, as pups or old dogs they go up the ramp I now have. My van doesn't have the side sliding door, it's the model before that unfortunately.

Main thig I would do differently with the compartments under the dogs is have bigger ones and less of them. They were made to fit the crates and pen I had at the time, but are less versatile for other things. I would also get those back gates!!! :o

Edited by FHRP

We have a van & will say getting dogs in/out of all ages & issues is so important depending on the size i guess.

Friends have dual cabs & whilst great pain in the arse to get things in/out even though lower the drop door just gets in the way for getting in .

I am agile & can climb in if required but it hurts your knees & depending on your clothes not tye easiest.

We have a 4 wd to which isn't dog friendly but wasn't brought for that intention,the dogs can happily sit in there but its more for towing the trailer .

My advice would be if owning bigger dogs & looking at cars take a 20 KG biscuit bag with you & use it for lifting & getting things in/out & then consider those vehicles where evrything slides to the back & you have to crawl in :rofl:

The trainer I see has a Hyundai I load van which she swears by & she travels the country with no less than 6 dogs at a time. She has the back all decked out with wire partitions. Very ecomomical to run & everybody is comfy :)

I have an X-trail and I love it but recently have had a 7y.o. dog with a muscle injury I just can't get right and jumping out even whilst being supported is exacerbating it.

I am moving towards having to take out the false floor and have my Puppy Bars redone so I can get a ramp.

I really like the look of these in terms of space and that you can take passengers. I have no idea of their safety though.

post-3246-0-40316500-1345710909_thumb.jpg