"calorie Free" Food

things that travel straight through unchanged?

carrots - whole ones keep them busy for a while.

sweet corn (corn kernels whole)

brown rice

the cardboard centre from toilet rolls.

rawhide - but my dog can only have this in moderation - or it causes problems. So we don't eat the rawhide bones any more - we have the "chips". And max one per day. But it's not an every day thing.

dirty kleenex (yes, my dog is a pick pocket).

I put oats in my dog's food - not sure if that goes straight through or not. Suspect not.

Not like the brown rice does.

I make no claims about how good or bad these things are for your dog.

Hmmm.. I prefer to give them their food in a form which fills their BRAIN , not their belly :p treat balls, frozen food ... hidden food , etc.

My way of thinking is that a dog's tummy will shrink nicely , and probably be more comfortable, with a good quality small amount of food containing the protein kick which tells the brain "all is well":... , than a gut full of rumbly cellulose and fibre .

any diets here .. are fresh meat based, with the odd apple/bone ..just for a while ...and meat frozen, or presented in a container, etc is an interesting - non-gulpable dinner :)

I would sooner feed quality & correct quantity .

The last month i have groomed so many obese dogs that apparently get fat on thin air according to there owners :eek:

When asked what feed well lets say its hard to believe so many people just don't get it

Weight is one part of the issue, but as per another thread I had the other issue is with her anal glands so I need her to be doing some big poo's!!!

I do actually try to use her dry food for training purposes most of the time, and I think we have reached a point where she is not as hungry as she used to be (I'll go with the stomach shrinking thing Pers!) but I still need her to be moving some stuff out her back end to try and deal with these anal glands. So I'm really wanting the calorie free food as much for that purpose and not wanting weight to go on her. I'm actually thinking the brown rice might be the go!

things that travel straight through unchanged?

carrots - whole ones keep them busy for a while.

sweet corn (corn kernels whole)

brown rice

the cardboard centre from toilet rolls.

rawhide - but my dog can only have this in moderation - or it causes problems. So we don't eat the rawhide bones any more - we have the "chips". And max one per day. But it's not an every day thing.

dirty kleenex (yes, my dog is a pick pocket).

I put oats in my dog's food - not sure if that goes straight through or not. Suspect not.

Not like the brown rice does.

I make no claims about how good or bad these things are for your dog.

You can add sheepskin slippers to this list too!

Just a query and maybe a word of warning - I was under the impression that sweet corn cobs - the centre part - were a no-no - can cause major obstruction. Or was I imagining that?

Definetly not the cobs, but kernels are fine.

Just a query and maybe a word of warning - I was under the impression that sweet corn cobs - the centre part - were a no-no - can cause major obstruction. Or was I imagining that?

That is correct, but earlier it was the kernals - the little yellow bits, that were mentioned, not the centre part ie the cob

Psyllium husk :) soak it for about 10 minutes before mixing with food

psyllium husks( soaked) and brown rice and grated carrot. I used these for my boy oscar who had major bowel problems and we need to keep bulk. I also added mushed pumpkin.. he preferred the pumpkin when it has been roated rather than steamed or boiled LOL

Helen

That is correct, but earlier it was the kernals - the little yellow bits, that were mentioned, not the centre part ie the cob

Ah Thanks - you're right - saw the "whole" bit and didn't read carefully enough. :o

Can I ask the reason for soaking the psyllium husk?

Psyllium husk is used because of its ability to absorb a LOT of moisture ..then act as a smooth gel lubricant/bulking agent.

Absorbing so much fluid from a dog gut MAY cause problems..as it travels thru and swells .

I don't have any studies on this ..but when I first started using it I was advised by the vet to soak it first, then feed the resulting gel .This made sense ..so now that's what I do ..for the dogs and me :)

Can I ask the reason for soaking the psyllium husk?

Psyllium husk is used because of its ability to absorb a LOT of moisture ..then act as a smooth gel lubricant/bulking agent.

Absorbing so much fluid from a dog gut MAY cause problems..as it travels thru and swells .

I don't have any studies on this ..but when I first started using it I was advised by the vet to soak it first, then feed the resulting gel .This made sense ..so now that's what I do ..for the dogs and me :)

isn't this the same as with dry food?