Pitbulls Bite Off Teenagers Ear In Savage Attack

k9angel

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What these kinds of incidents do is put dog attacks into context.

We should be able to disinguish between a nip, a bite and a savage mauling.

With the whole ear being bitten of, I would class this as a savage mauling... not sure what your point is here?

A very salient point chris the Rebel Wolf.

The criteria for qualification as a dangerous dog in Victoria is a victim sustaining injuries that require surgery or death.

In NSW a dog can be declared dangerous just for stomping in front of anothr dog, muzzle punching an overzealous admirer, or nipping some idiot who wants to run around and not share the footpath while a dog is out walking.

A more discerning mind set needs to prevail in NSW.

:eek: That is craziness! What a huge gap. I would want somebody walking behind me with a camera, if I were walking my dogs in NSW.

..my mistake .. I've had dogs , pet dogs, unexpectedly kill other dogs of ours ..and I've known dogs who attacked humans ..and have been attacked - not severely ...none of these dogs were monsters..Aggressive yes , as it turned out, euthansed immediately , yes but not monsters.... Dogs have strong teeth and jaws ..they transfer aggression , their mode of attack causes severe injury ..and it is thankfully due to responsible breeding and training that there are not more incidents ...

They're indeed. They aren't tyrannosaurus Rex being dogs, or possums being dogs, they're dogs being dogs. Plenty of other dogs may not have behaved in this way, but these ones did. Giving them ridiculous epithets like 'vile monsters' is not only unhelpful, but clearly stupid - they're not criminal masterminds.

They're indeed. They aren't tyrannosaurus Rex being dogs, or possums being dogs, they're dogs being dogs. Plenty of other dogs may not have behaved in this way, but these ones did. Giving them ridiculous epithets like 'vile monsters' is not only unhelpful, but clearly stupid - they're not criminal masterminds.

That is media speak, maybe "dogmad" should start working in the media, if they aren't already. :swear:

Such an awful occurrence and just completely unacceptable. I hope the owner absolutely has the book thrown at him.

And they wonder why some folk have issues with the level of dog aggression in some breeds.

So many of these attacks seem to be triggered by dog on dog aggression. Sorry, but from where I sit it's simply not acceptable.

Mind you, if you don't contain your dog, you don't deserve to own ANY breed.

From breed enthusiasts this behaviour is also completely unacceptable and uncharacteristic for the breed. An APBT should NEVER redirect onto a human, not even for a tiny nip let alone severing an ear. This is what happens when you ban breeds. Only idiots with no idea breed them and create dogs with serious temperament flaws.

The criteria for qualification as a dangerous dog in Victoria is a victim sustaining injuries that require surgery or death.

In NSW a dog can be declared dangerous just for stomping in front of anothr dog, muzzle punching an overzealous admirer, or nipping some idiot who wants to run around and not share the footpath while a dog is out walking.

I thought a dog could be declared dangerous if it simply menaced a person or another animal? or is it different in victoria?

and why would you want to make it harder for dogs to be declared dangerous? we want more dog owner accountability and less breedist legislation dont we?

DA seems to be downplayed these days, as is FA. People and innocent dogs get hurt if these dogs aren't well managed. As for dogs being dogs, plenty of breeds don't actively seek out dogs to attack when loose.

Sorry but you are generalising entire breeds and that is just silly. Are you suggesting that some breeds have never, ever had any individuals within their type attack another dog while loose?? Because that's what your wording means.

Plenty of individuals from other breeds actively seek out dogs to attack while loose, and plenty of APBT's do not attack other dogs while loose. This is an individual dog issue.

Yes bull breeds can be more prone to dog aggression generally, but to suggest that It is widespread and a 'norm' for them to severely attack other animals unprovoked is completely wrong. Likewise, to suggest that other breeds don't do so is also wrong.

[quote name='Tralee' timestamp='1351592846' post='6004001'

Welcome back GT

I'm not I don't think, but god help this place if I ever do. I'm sure it will be a new GT rising from the ashes of hades as it will not be off the cuff... You know what I mean.

Pitbulls Bite Off Teenagers Ear In Savage Attack SW Sydney this afternoon

Fancy that..........I would have expected a Labrador or Cocker Spaniel to have torn someone's ear off, but not a Pitbull, or was it perhaps a Standard Poodle and they just said Pitbull for media sensationalism??

Poor young guy........no one deserves a pleasant dog walk turning into an ordeal like that :mad

Edited by m-sass

I have an all new respect for bull breeds now since getting a dog.

While out walking my dog, if I see one I make a prompt u-turn and head back the other way. Of the 3 times my dog has been attacked (and a 4th prevented attack - other dog was on a leash and across the road) while on leash, and being a small young puppy, all have been by bull breeds and all to the bull breed owners dismay.

I have no problem while out walking without my dog though.

I hope the boy recovers well.

:eek: That is craziness! What a huge gap. I would want somebody walking behind me with a camera, if I were walking my dogs in NSW.

Well, I should qualify that with the criteria in Victoris being not just surgery but an injury that requires cosmetic surgery or death.

I thought a dog could be declared dangerous if it simply menaced a person or another animal?

Or is it different in victoria?

And why would you want to make it harder for dogs to be declared dangerous?

We want more dog owner accountability and less breedist legislation dont we?

It is a reasonable criteria in Victoria.

Surely you don't think a dog that lunges, in bluff, at another dog or person should be declared dangerous.

Or a dog that barks at a child once its been told to stop patting a dog because the parents tell the child its OK despite your stern warning that the dog has a threshold of tolerance.

All that happens is time and money is lost by having the dog temperament tested, or contesting the 'notificataion' in court and lodging a formal complaint against the Ranger and the Council because despite them having intimate association with the dog they are indescribably incompetent.

It is not making the declaration harder.

It is simply factoring in 'people stupid' into the equation.

Your last comment about legislation contradicts your support for minimal criteria in declaring a dog dangerous.

I meant to write dogs - sick of the old "my dog attacks other dogs but hey, that's what dogs do".

I say that as someone with a dog with issues.

You need to manage carefully or send them to heaven

I don't think dogs can be over-managed.

They are smart and they will thank you for it.

Totally agree. They ARE dogs, how can they act as anything else?? :laugh:

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/teen-has-ear-bitten-off-by-pit-bulls-20121031-28ife.html

Interesting. How can Tibetan Mastiffs and Chesapeake Bay Rerievers be so high on the list of bite statistics? Maybe it's by percentage of those registered :shrug: ?

Poor bloke. There's still no mention of his own dog in this article.

Excellent description of East Hills, Tralee.

From breed enthusiasts this behaviour is also completely unacceptable and uncharacteristic for the breed. An APBT should NEVER redirect onto a human, not even for a tiny nip let alone severing an ear. This is what happens when you ban breeds. Only idiots with no idea breed them and create dogs with serious temperament flaws.

:confused: Scenes like this were happening long before breed banning.

Poor boy :( How very frightening for him. I do hope he is going to be OK both physically & mentally after such a thing. I didn't see anything last night on the news. Must have been doing something.

Hope his dog is all right but it is a worry if they didn't mention anything of him :( Right in front of the school with the poor littely's to witness such horror.

Edited by BC Crazy