Fern

Chicken

Aust Ch Daventri Regal Delight "Fern"

My beautiful Cav girl Fern been givin her wings this morning. She has been with me though so much, She was my rock when I left an abusive relationship, she was there sitting on my knee when my ex smashed all the windows in my house to scare me, she slept with me when I moved back to mum's house, She adored her big sister Abby when we brought her home. I brought Fern home at about 5 and a half years old and loved her right from the start. How could anyone not? She had the sweetest dispostion of any dog I have ever met, she let all my kittens and my Rottweiler and Amstaff dribble all over her, the kittens would love playing with her big dangly ears and ever wagging tail. To see Fern was to love her. She loved kids, my step grandkids were so frightened of dogs when they first started coming over, but they loved her as she was so gentle. She knew those who were frightened of dogs and would wait and watch. She knew when to approach them and would do it so slowly, sidle over to my grand daughter and just sit in front of her, eventually she would reach out and pat her ears, Fern just loved it.

She loved any attention she could get. If you were patting her she would sit happily with you for hours. She would always sit and watch everyone eat. Never touching you, just silently begging with her eyes. She always sucked me in and usually ate more of my dinner than I did!!

She was suffering with a heart murmur for quite some time and this was being managed, but in a freak incident this morning she hurt her back or hip, one of which was more than likely broken. The heart murmur made surgery very risky so the decision was made to not put her though that and have her pass in my arms instead of an operating table with strangers.

Home wont be that same anymore baby girl.

I love you so much.

I haven't stopped crying since I left you. I hope there is a Bridge and that you are there and happy and healthy and whole.

Goodbye my angel.

Even in so much pain today and unable to walk, she was happy in my arms. She looked up at my face and tried so hard to reach up and lick my face, something she knows is a no no. I lowered my face to hers and let her lick my nose.

Buried my face in under her ear and then she was gone.

Even in so much pain today and unable to walk, she was happy in my arms. She looked up at my face and tried so hard to reach up and lick my face, something she knows is a no no. I lowered my face to hers and let her lick my nose.

Crying with you ......

Edited by persephone

It doesn't feel like home anymore. Abby is miserable, she just sat by me all night last night looking up at me.

I am so sorry Chicken, just don't know what to say. We thought it would the heart murmur in the end but the accident was just one of those things, reading through your first post brought tears in my eyes again. Rest easy Fern, you were one special little girl who was much loved and will be very missed. Hugs to you and Abby :cry:

Today it has hit me again. Bawling my eyes out and wondering if I should have done something differently.

Abby howls every night when I come home from work. I think she is missing Fern too. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to help her? She has her other doggy companion, but they have never been close. Abby and Fern, while they weren't overly outgoing playful dogs, their quietness is something they bonded over.