Ideas For A Cheaper Dry Dog Food

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am after some help for a friend of mine. Long story short, she has just become a single mum of 2 small children with a limited income and also 2 dogs, a Lab and a Staffy.

The dogs have been feed Science Diet but this is now just too expensive.

She has asked me of ideas of a dry food that is a fair bit cheaper but not just rubbish.

I have suggest raw but as she said she really does not have the time or freezer space to do this.

If anyone has any suggestions I could pass on that would be a big help.

Thanks

I feed Bonnie Working and am very happy with it. They get raw meat too & if she does a bit of looking around she could probably get some bargains as long as she has a *little* bit of freezer space (for example we pay $1 kg for chicken bodies, they come in bags of 8 or so). Bonnie Working is around $40 for 20kg and my very active dogs do great on it. The adult is a bit cheaper but doesn't suit my dogs - might suit hers? Coprice is cheaper again and some people swear by it - mine weren't big fans and they'd lick the paint off a board if you told them it was food :D

The only problem would be if any of her dogs have allergy issues she might be limited to what she can feed. Personally I'd consider Science Diet to be a way crappier food than Bonnie :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

I feed Pal Pedigree dry food to my dogs mainly Sometimes it's Supercoat or Bonnies but mainly Pal. It is the only food, when I had 4 greyhounds, that they would all eat and do well on. I tried more expensive brands but nothing suited all of them and I wasn't having several different brands taking up space. Throw in the occasional egg or sardines, occasional feed of chicken wings or necks and your friends dogs should do fine. Might take a bit of trialling to see what works best but you don't have to feed expensive food to have healthy dogs.

My dogs didn't do very well on Science Diet - and I had to feed them as much of it as a cheaper brand of food just to keep them on condition. I've now switched to Nutro - they eat less, poo less, and are doing great. Nutro is a bit expensive though.

I used to feed my dogs Bonnie Adult Complete, and they all did great on it - and it's around $45 for 20kgs at Pet Barn. Not to mention that most dogs eat it quite happily.

T.

If you want a cheap but decent quality meat for you dogs, go to the local butchers and ask them to collect the bone dust for you. You know how when you are sawing wood, you get sawdust, the butcher saw dies the same thing. In it is all sorts of meat and bones. My dogs love it, I mix it with the dry. My butcher charges me $1 per kilo.

I fed Coprice for a long time but found it either dropped in quality or just stopped suiting my dogs. So I changed to Cobber (Working) and can't recommend it highly enough. Much less needed, hold weight on them beautifully, their coats are lovely. Plus they have nice small, firm output which is good!!

And I feed mince from the local butcher which is $2 a kilo, a little goes a long way - it really, really would go a long way with labs!

Some other suggestions - Woofbix from one of the chain stores - kmart? big w? target? is meant to be quite good - said to be the plain pack version of some reasonably well known brand :)

Forgot, I have also used Uncle Albers which would probably be as cheap as you can get, produces very large poos but the dogs did well on it - seems to be quite oily/fatty which doesn't suit all dogs.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am after some help for a friend of mine. Long story short, she has just become a single mum of 2 small children with a limited income and also 2 dogs, a Lab and a Staffy.

The dogs have been feed Science Diet but this is now just too expensive.

She has asked me of ideas of a dry food that is a fair bit cheaper but not just rubbish.

I have suggest raw but as she said she really does not have the time or freezer space to do this.

If anyone has any suggestions I could pass on that would be a big help.

Thanks

Try XP3020 - $55.00 for a 15 kg bag - it is a super premium food sold direct - details on website www.xp3020.com.au

Bonnie Adult here. With two large dogs (~30 kg each), it just became to expensive to feed Hills. Each dog eats 3-4 cups of food a day, so a 20kg bag lasts roughly a month, give or take. Cost of a 20kg bag is $40-$50 (usu closer to $40 if you time the specials right) from PetBarn.

ETA - as much as I would like to feed raw, one dog doesn't tolerate it.

Edited by futuredogtrainer

I've heard a few folk say that Optimum is the pick of the supermarket brands.

Add a few meals of raw chicken wings, the odd bone and decent table scraps to that and the dog should do fine.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I've just bought a 15kilo bag of All Natural Dried biscuits online from Priceless Pets.

Depending on which one you buy, it now costs $100 or $110. I've never had a dog dislike it and the biscuits are small in size.

I guess it's not that cheap but it is really good for dogs with sensitive skins/ear/eye probs and that's why i've just bought it again after a long break.

I know a few Costco wholesale outfits have opened in Oz. In the US, the Kirkland Nature's Domain product is pretty much the same as Taste of The Wild and very reasonable . . . around $30 for a 15.87 kg bag. That's salmon and sweet potato, grain free. I'm sure it will be more expensive in Oz, but even if it's twice as much it would be worth looking for.

we feed RAW as the main diet but also have ...

4x2s bought a box of them 200 odd biscuits one a day and it was under 40 dollars from a local livestock barn they work out cheap and last forever. my girl loves them I've given some away for friends to try with their dogs, not one dog refused it, labradoodle, collie, staffords, cattle dogs. are all on 4x2s for breakfast now. :)