Hot Days

Dame Aussie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to be out of the house for a long time, then you might want to leave the a/c on with a timer. It's never good to get your dog feeling very hot.

Ah, that's a good idea! Why hadn't anyone in the thread suggested that one?

I work from home so the dogs are inside with aircon, or I am going outside telling them to get inside :laugh:

Just remember for those dogs locked inside with the aircon on, power failure can an often does when it gets very hot.

I was once told to hook up an answering machine, and call home during the day if the power is on the answering machine will kick in, if it's not you know

there is a power failure !

I work from home so the dogs are inside with aircon, or I am going outside telling them to get inside :laugh:

Just remember for those dogs locked inside with the aircon on, power failure can an often does when it gets very hot.

I was once told to hook up an answering machine, and call home during the day if the power is on the answering machine will kick in, if it's not you know

there is a power failure !

We luckily live in a kennel zone & as we work fro m home we are the contact for many that work out so if power goes off or a fire is about we have contacts on who to phone & what there plan may be .

We are alos the contact for trailers for fires in others areas as people now we don't venture far in summer .]

If I am not home then I would leave the dogs outside, lots of shade in the garden. Really hot days I don't go far from home anyway, fire risk and worry about the dogs. Dogs are currently inside enjoying the aircon.

The 2 little ones are insode snoozing in the evap, the big ones are outside on teh verandah. I wet the verandah down as often as possible and they ahve a clam shell on it as well for keeping cool. There is also pleanty of shade, as well as where the laundry water flows out onto the ground to dig in and stay cool.

Our dogs are very lucky and have access to the house 24/7 via a doggy door. We are very lucky in that our house is stone and so is very cool downstairs. Upstairs we have an air con, but that is only on when we are home. Generally the house remains at a nice cool temp at 22 degrees compared to 30+ outside.

Our girl is always left outside when we're not home. For some reason, even though she has a massively thick black hairy coat, she loves to lie in the sun and I sometimes think she's about to burst into flames!! Thankfully she does eventually have enough sense to move off out of the heat LOL. She has shade in the carport and also shade in the yard from the neighbour's tree for most of the afternoon. We make sure she has plenty of water, and she also has a clam shell paddle pool. We have aircon, but it is an older evaporative system and there have been a number of instances of these causing fires (which of course can happen with any electrical appliance, fans included), so there is no way I would EVER leave her shut in the house with the aircon on when we're not home - if there was a fire, she'd have no chance of escape. I always turn the aircon off when I leave the house, even if I'm just ducking up to the shop for 15 minutes - I don't even leave things like washing machines or computers running, too paranoid about fires after OH had the hard drive on his computer burn out one day when he was out and a friend had her washing machine "blow up" when the water went off whilst she was out, so I'd prefer not to risk it!!

My dog is outside full time all-year-round (farm dog) so he's used to it. He usually goes under the house or under the cars (has a nice big hole under the car). I don't understand why he doesn't hang out where the air con drips near the house!! It's nearly always in the shade and is super cool...I imagine if he actually dug there it'd be quite nice! But he must be content under the car confused.gif

It's probably no better inside anyway...the house has really useless insulation (or none) and the air conditioners (yes, we have two wall-mounted ones and a moveable one!) just can't keep up. Plus if the nice breeze kicks in at night he can enjoy that.

When the weather is still bearable (25-27), I turn on the fan directed to his playpen. When it's super hot, I leave the aircon on. Works well so far for us. He's the type of dog who would sunbathe until his coat is all hot and then goes inside and quickly gulps down water though :laugh:

This is what my dogs do on hot days :)

IMG_1794-Copy.jpg

They just stay around the pool till they have had enough & sometimes if the morning is hot I will put the umbrella up for them. The girl then gets locked up while she dries off, then she comes inside for the rest of the day & the young fellow has some lovely cool holes dug around the garden that he prefers to lie in. We havn't had to use our air con. this year, just the ceiling fans & shut all the doors to keep the heat out. But if the days get so hot that we need the air con, then both dogs will be inside for the day.

Mine is always inside when were are out, usually in a crate unless we can't get back to let him out for longer than 4-5 hours which sometimes is the case. When it's hot I leave the fan on for him but rarely the aircon, our house stays remarkably cool thanks to it's 18ft ceilings!