Oldies

Rascalmyshadow

I'm sure this topic has been done plenty of times before but I am now the situation.

My old poodle girl is 12 and is really starting to show her age, in the last four years she has had surgery for stump pyometea, both cruciates done ( one needing fixed 12 months after the original surgery) and was diagnosed with PRA.

Mostly until a couple of months ago most people thought she was a young dog as she has kept her black colour exceptionally well, her teeth are still beautifull and in daylight hours would happily run around the park like a silly puppy.

She has her cartrophen injections every 3 months and is on metacam every day so she is very mobile and comfortable.

But her eyesight is now almost gone and she is starting to become nervy about sudden noises and will flinch when you go to pat her. We can no longer walk her from dusk onwards.

She has been by my side for her entire life, including coming to work everyday ( now I work from home) she loved her car trips which are now uncomfortable for her, she was always ball obsessed but can no longer play fetch.

I am having a hard time watching her suddenly age so rapidly, overall she is a very happy content girl and still has her 'young moments' but I know my time with her is getting shorter.

How do others deal with it all?

We are going through it as well with our almost 11 year old cavalier Renae..frown.gif

She was recently diagnosed with a supposingly serious liver problem that the vets still don't know what is exactly going on with her. Shes not ill at such, but she has her bad days. She still moves freely, but sleeps a lot more now, pants a fair bit and gets the shakes. She is looking old. But other days she perks up and its hard to believe shes getting old and might not be around much longer.

Theres not much we can do atm apart from giving her lots of quality time and love.. Its very difficult watching them age.

At her age now, if she goes any more downhill, we will not be doing anything invasive to her (shes already had some tests done which arn't coming back conclusive). Like our last dog Jenna, I guess we will know when 'its time' crying.gif

Renae has had a good life with us and her previous breeder owner and we always say any extra time we get with her from now on will be a bonus :) There have been Cavs that make it to a really old age, ( 14-17) but generally they don't .

I do feel for your Rascalmyshadow *hugs*

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Love and patience... easy to give, and well appreciated by the oldies.

My Rotti/Pittie cross girl is now 13, and only recently started to look her age. She is slowing down more nowadays and expects help to get into the car or sometimes to get onto the couch - but otherwise she appears to be in great health. I'm sure her eyesight isn't as good as it used to be because I can see a slight clouding there in the right light. For the last 5 years she has helped me with the foster pups that have come through our home, and she still enjoys doing that... she can sometimes play the grumpy granny with them, or lets them spoon up to her for comfort.

Gotta love the oldies, they age gracefully, don't they?

T.

:hug:

It is hard.. all you can do is start collecting special moments as images... so you have them to look back on , make sure those oldies are still offered the opportunity to do stuff they love ..eg: going to the beach is mostly about the noise/smell .. and that you can get even if you're in a pram ! ;)

WE have two in their teens here ..luckily they are still quite active .. eyesight and hearing are fading , but there are no obvious health concerns - so they are being treated as normal ..and we watch :)

Edited by persephone

:hug:

It is hard.. all you can do is start collecting special moments as images... so you have them to look back on , make sure those oldies are still offered the opportunity to do stuff they love ..eg: going to the beach is mostly about the noise/smell .. and that you can get even if you're in a pram ! ;)

WE have two in their teens here ..luckily they are still quite active .. eyesight and hearing are fading , but there are no obvious health concerns - so they are being treated as normal ..and we watch :)

I had a chuckle at that, because I once was taking one of my dogs out in a pram.

Rascal, I do feel for you. It is very hard to see a once young and active dog show the ravages of age. Some do it better than others, same as with humans.

As Persephone says: document the special moments, just lying happily in the sun (or the shade).

Some years ago, I adopted a poodle who was nearly 17 and he lived for another 3 years. He was such a character. Towards the end, I took some photographs of when he was not his best, just to show me that his time was coming to an end and to stop me feeling guilty when he finally had to be helped over the Bridge.

..I know too that moment when ,all of a sudden your dog has that 'look' that old dog 'look' :(

I saw it a couple of days ago with Hamlet .. :(

he is 'only' 9 ,,however somehow he ate something which blew him up to "pregnant with 10 pups" and it really affected him for 24 hrs or so .. it was a VERY full gut ... and his heart ,I'm sure was affected ..as he lost some pinkness and was really lethargic for a while ..

So ..degas caps ... and some other home remedies ..keeping him cool and def. NO food helped ..but at one stage I looked at him and saw an old, old dog ......

I'm going through that now my coolie Xena had turned 14 the day before christmas. Middle of last year I thought I would have to make that awful decision.Her back leg was bad and she has muscle wastage she wasnt a happy girl just slept alot. Just aged heaps. It was so sad. Had tried paws green lipped mussel that I had heard and I can see the difference. She perked up I had thought it was my imagination as I didnt want to see her being like that but friends you were baby sitting couldnt believe the difference in her she had perked up the eyes had brighten up back to being the barky girl. She still runs around the park but slower she is putting weight down on the bad leg and is starting to get a little bit of muscle legs are still a bit out of cordination but she is back to enjoying life and eating well. So hopefully she will be around for another 12 months. I know I am on borrowed time and at the moment we are having bonus times so am enjoying however much time we have together. It is hard to watch the once very active dog aging.

I also have an 11 year old border collie but she is still active and doesnt show signs yet but that can come at any time though.

Thanks for the replies I guess it's getting to me more because my oldest cat is 13 and has been with me since he was born, he is a big gentle softie and is my 'heart' boy.

The thought of losing both of them is very hard even though we have other cats and dogs.

I will definitely start taking lots more pics.

I gave Ollie dog his wings at the ripe old age of 14 and a half years old in October 2011.

He was diagnosed with Mast Cell Tumours when he was 8 and was only expected to live another 2 years tops.

I think the biggest thing for me was that he was comfortable, no pain and enjoying his life.

He was well and truly retired at 12 years old and lived his life for his early morning walk (he seemed to enjoy it much more in the cool morning), the odd game of tug (most of the game was him chewing the toy, rather than tugging on it).. And loads of love and cuddles.

Ol was my heart dog and it broke my heart to say goodbye but he deserved to go out with dignity after giving me over 14 years of love and devotion..

Ollie dog at about 2 years old

8167999283_e63a842288.jpg

Ollie dog by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

And his 10th Birthday party

8168027208_5d0e9de1ca.jpg

Ollies 10th birthday by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

He is also in my signature..

The simple answer is you have to deal with it.

We had a girl with PRA & we had to be her confidence,if i was to wuss her & pander her she would have lost any independence she had .

Though we started early on adapting her to the changes as you do have time with PRA,we had runners that she walked on to her water bowl,the door etc etc.

She had her mud map .she still walked around the acre ,play times where adapted to what she could cope with & succeed at .

This was a 5 yr old in the prime of her life .She was given her wings 4 yrs later as her hearing & smell went & she could no longer cope

Don't dwell on the shortness & savor each day otherwise you won't enjoy the time you have

I've had experience with older dogs ageing pretty well until the very last, and one who had an ailment that deteriorated with time.

I agree with showdog that whatever it is, you just deal with it, trying to ensure the best care & best quality of life possible.

Our p/b sheltie had no illness until her 14th year when she developed some arthritis in her back legs. Despite all treatments, she became progressively weak in the back legs, until she'd fall & not be able to get up. She had panic & fear in her eyes that had never been there before. By the time she was 15 yrs, both we & the vet decided it was best for her to go to doggie heaven ... as nothing could fix her problem.

Our rescue sheltie, by 12 yrs, had a deteriorating eye condition that couldn't be stopped. He was soon blind. But we were able to adjust his life for that ... & he could live happily. But he'd always had immune-system related problems & now these increased, showing up in skin conditions. By the time he was 13 yrs old, his degree of discomfort was getting too hard for him.

Our little mixed-breed rescue dog lived until she was nearly 23 yrs old. By age 19 yrs, she'd never had illness in her entire life (we'd had her since she was a puppy). Then she needed some dental surgery. After that, there was deterioration in her liver which required a diet low in protein. As she got closer to 22 yrs, there were signs of age-related doggie dementia. Then it was agreed things were going to get too much for her, & she was helped to doggie heaven.

Our current oldie is p/b tibbie, aged 13 yrs, who's also never had any illness in her life. Still hasn't anything .... at last vet check 2 weeks ago (even her teeth were passed as 'excellent')'. She comes from the same bloodline as another tibbie girl owned by a friend. This girl is 18 yrs .... & doesn't show her age either.

The simple answer is you have to deal with it.

Don't dwell on the shortness & savor each day otherwise you won't enjoy the time you have

This is good advice, but I think sometimes we just have to share our fears and sorrows, before we square our shoulders and get on with it :)

Yes it can be scary if you are dealing with something you have never dealt with before. Sometimes you need to work through that and get your head around everything, then you can get on with dealing with the issue.

My older dogs are about 13yrs and 14yrs now and are showing their age - eyesight and hearing not so good, spinal and other issues. So quality of life is most important - which at this stage means a combination of medication and alternative treatments.

As showdog said, a lot of adapting! Not just the modifications around the house, but also adapting plans like where and when you walk etc. Lots of love and cuddles, mine also get their favourite treats more often.

Enjoy every moment.

I feel for you Rascal. I too have a dear "oldie" who is 11 and a half years and has arthritis in his elbow and degenerating spinal discs. He can hardly get around and is on a daily dose of metacam, 3 monthly cartrophen injections and visits to the chiropractor every so often. I worry so much that the metacam is harming his internal organs but he's in so much pain without it.

The old dogs are so wonderful, we carry our guy down to the park and let him romp around in his own little way on the grass. We then carry him back home, letting him down to sniff around every now and then.

He is currently happy and free from much pain. He gets up and wags his tail every morning and plays a little game of Kill the Fluffy Toy, then sits in the kitchen waiting for his brekky. He'll follow us all outside, but by the time he's got there we've all forgotten and are ready to come inside. So we all go back outside and wait for him to get there and wander around.

Just enjoy your oldie while you have them, they are very precious. Spoil them a bit more than usual and adapt your life style to include them in a way which they can be included. The pram is a great idea - I think getting our guy out and about, even though he really can't walk much, has helped his mind stay active and interested in life. Keep them pain free and safe from the outside elements and know that you've done your best for them and they've lived the best life they can with you.

Unfortunately they are not with us for all that long, but try and enjoy this stage of their lives as well as you can.

This is the hardest it gets. I gave my old SBT girl her wings in May 2011 just a couple of months shy of her 17th. I had her for almost 16 years (a rescue). She stayed with me once after a serious accident until help arrived and protected me during a home invasion. She won her last dog fight when she was 16, giving the dog across the road who tried to attack me the what for. I changed my entire lifestyle during her last few years to accomodate her needs. She was blind and deaf from age, full of cancer, had pancreatitis, dementia, dragged her toes, was incontinent, you name it but she was so tough it was hard to know when she'd had enough. She still came for walks with the other dogs and played bitey face every single night with our younger SBT. She certainly didn't spend her days lying around in a comfy spot - she was always in on the action and thought she was leader of the pack right up until the end.

On her final day she and our other two dogs did doggy paintings outside so I had something tangible to remember her by. I still don't know if it was her time because she never once indicated any pain or that she'd given up but I was terrified of coming home from work and finding her stuck somewhere as she became less reliable on her own.

I miss her deep down in my gut still (crying as I type this) even though she wasn't me heart girl or even particularly likeable some times but the house remains full of her memories. You can't have anyone or anything in your life for that long and not have them remain a part of you and your history.

Your girl will remain alive, happy and healthy in your heart and memory. Us DOLers who have been through this heartache already will be there for you when the time comes - we understand how difficult this is when other friends, family and co-workers don't.

Enjoy the time you have left doing whatever still makes your girl light up. It may be more about cuddle time than catching balls now but that's ok. We all slow down when we get older but we never get sick of being loved!

I love the idea of doggie paintings!

I went through this with my very first poodle, we rescued him when he was 4 1/2, he had a mouth full of rotten teeth, epilepsy that wasn't treated, he had never been walked or played with and lived in a concrete pen.

He developed PRA and was blind by the time he was 8, we gave him his wings at 10 (too young for a poodle) because the meds for his epilepsy stopped working and he did a lower back injury that the vets tried to treat but he couldn't have anti imflamms so we couldn't keep him comfortable in the end. But... that was over 10 years ago.

Btw love the pics of everyone's oldies they all look so distinguished.

I love the idea of doggie paintings!

I went through this with my very first poodle, we rescued him when he was 4 1/2, he had a mouth full of rotten teeth, epilepsy that wasn't treated, he had never been walked or played with and lived in a concrete pen.

He developed PRA and was blind by the time he was 8, we gave him his wings at 10 (too young for a poodle) because the meds for his epilepsy stopped working and he did a lower back injury that the vets tried to treat but he couldn't have anti imflamms so we couldn't keep him comfortable in the end. But... that was over 10 years ago.

Btw love the pics of everyone's oldies they all look so distinguished.

I had a portrait painted of Ollie dog (by a DOLer) and he had 3 professional photo shoots done as well..

There are plenty of awesome photographers around.

I love the oldies & regularly take in old dogs that live with me for a few years. Currently I have 2 - Gemma who came to live with me at 11 & 3 months & is now nearly 13 & 1/2 & Tori who arrived just before her 12th birthday & is now also nearly 13 & 1/2. I find it so much easier to accept their aging & make adjustments because I don't have any memories of them as young dogs.

Last October I lost my heart dog, Sally, at 14 & 7 1/2 months. She'd been with me since she was 2. I hated watching her age knowing our time was drawing to an end. I think I gave her a wonderful life right to the end but it was hard for me to watch & I'd worry over every little change.

My oldie has been gone 14 months now and not a day goes by that I don't miss her and think of her :love:. Clover and her BC boyfriend were born only months apart, and we lost both at 13 years old only moths apart. Those two realy did have a bond no one could break.

5908381779_c3b0b09055.jpg

z1 by clover_elvis, on Flickr

My current "oldie" is 9 years old, has dodgy knees which require monthly cartrophen and a lump on his lip that I found today that looks not quite right. He is not quite on old dog rules yet (old dog rules is they have none :laugh: ). He keeps active and is still a big pain in the rear when he wants to be. I enjoy every day with him knowing he wont make it to 17 and 18 like his mum and grand mum.

8453364176_12b2849166.jpg

Photo 1 - 2013-02-07 by clover_elvis, on Flickr