Retractable Leads - A Menace ?

DakotaJ

I have a lovely scar on my ankle from a retractable lead.

THe moronic woman has a Jack Russell on it. The dog took off, she let go of the lead, the dog raced around me, and it was like a garrotte around my ankle! It hurt like hell, and I thought I was a wimp, until I looked at it and the lead had cut deeply into the front of my ankle. I also fell over as it yanked my leg out from under me.

THe lady apologised, but did not seem to realise how much damage the lead had done. If it had been an elderly person it would have been much worse!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several, very good quality & strongly constructed, never had one break. I wouldn't/buy or use a cheap shoddy one from the discount store or supermarket.

Idiots are every where and so are cheap & nasty pet accessories. Don't stop with banning the retractable leads, Ban elastic collars on small dogs, long lines (great for taking out the unsuspecting persons legs in the dog park or beach) cheap snap collars, we wont have anything left except the idiots.

I use good quality retractable leads all the time. Mine are about 20 years old and still going strong. The cheap ones should be banned because they just fall apart and retractable leads should never be used for walking in the street. Used correctly they are great.

What I would like to see banned are the cheap chain leads with a leather handle. Every jerk with a powerful dog who pulls seems to buy them but the links are not welded and they snap very easily. I have no idea why people will buy a $20 good quality check chain and a cheapy $5 chain lead and expect them to be the same quality.

I have several, very good quality & strongly constructed, never had one break. I wouldn't/buy or use a cheap shoddy one from the discount store or supermarket.

Idiots are every where and so are cheap & nasty pet accessories. Don't stop with banning the retractable leads, Ban elastic collars on small dogs, long lines (great for taking out the unsuspecting persons legs in the dog park or beach) cheap snap collars, we wont have anything left except the idiots.

I use good quality retractable leads all the time. Mine are about 20 years old and still going strong. The cheap ones should be banned because they just fall apart and retractable leads should never be used for walking in the street. Used correctly they are great.

What I would like to see banned are the cheap chain leads with a leather handle. Every jerk with a powerful dog who pulls seems to buy them but the links are not welded and they snap very easily. I have no idea why people will buy a $20 good quality check chain and a cheapy $5 chain lead and expect them to be the same quality.

I can't stand them but I think it's definitely due to the users. Round here it isn't uncommon to see a dog on a retractable leash wander onto the road while the owner walking 15m behind is talking on their phone

People tend to walk with them on full extension which basically gives the dog a 10-20 metre circle around the owner to play in. It's ridiculous and asking for problems, especially when they walk through the crowded (outdoor) shopping centre

Personally I prefer a lead with a handle I can loop over my wrist, I feel it gives me far more control.

I agree - I don't like them but then again it's only because I've only seen the idiots using them. My neighbours were out on a family walk with their small dog using a retractable lead and it shot straight out onto the road and was killed - in front of the whole family! It was on a lead going for a walk and was run over - stupid. If they had used a normal lead, the dog would still be alive and the young children would now not be traumatised. :(

I've had retractable leads in the past and because Zeus is a puller I stopped using it after the first walk and have never had it out again. Teaching loose leash walking is a weakness of mine and I have no idea why some people think that retractable leads are good for dogs who pull. I was worried the entire walk it would snap and often see SBTs pulling on the ends of them and cringe.

I'd paid a good $60-$80 for mine too so it wasn't a cheapie and had a 50 kilo weight limit. Zeus barely cracks 15 kilos and I still worried.

Used incorrectly, not the most useful tool I'm afraid. :(

Guest donatella

I think they are dangerous. What if your dog is at the extension and you need to pull it in quick for safety reasons?

Qaulity weight rated retractable leads are great when used correctly. They are worth spending good money for strength reliabilty and peace of mind. I will not use a cord type lead, have seen to many injuries to both human and dog with those eg; Fingers cut to the bone, dogs legs cut through to the bone etc as well as the normal burning / abrasive type injuries. I will only use a flat retractable type lead of reliable quality.

But as we "dog people" are aware there are many cheaper versions of anything out there that are of no quality and will fail.We also know that most people have no idea how to use equipment correctly and prove so by their actions.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Has anyone else has this sort of experience with dogs on retractable leads - personally I think they are a menace and should be banned

+1

+2, but then again, I don't know that banning would work. You can't legislate for idiots or cheap and nasty products.

Yep. Often the people attached to the end of them are in fairy land. I think people often see them as a solution to dogs that pull on lead.

Yes, these sorts of people are a nightmare. The dogs haven't got a clue what they are supposed to be doing and are a danger to themselves and others.

I have one and it's great. 50 kilo breaking strain. Of course you have to use common sense when using it, something that is sometimes in short supply. Don't blame a tool for it's misuse, blame the idiot using it wrongly.

When these leads first began making an appearance they weren't available here and people were getting them from overseas. I imagine the quality was first class. However, with the proliferation of cheap so-called Reject and $2 shops the product is mostly cheap and nasty.

I vote DOLers be allowed to use them, but nobody else.

I won't because I get tangled in normal leads let alone a long long thin one :o

Hmm, so you are saying that all DOLers are sensible and non-idiot dog owners? Interesting.

I think they are dangerous. What if your dog is at the extension and you need to pull it in quick for safety reasons?

This is where the cheap and nastly comes into its own :( . Dog suffers the consequences.

There are quite a lot of owners around here who use them: the dogs are all over the place even so far as on the other side of the street from the owner :eek: . One poor dog is just walked around the block a couple of times a day and the poor thing is being jerked around like a puppet.

Most people I see in my area have one dog: why they can't walk the dog properly and on a proper lead is beyond me.

I have always been totally against them but just recently have bought 2 and started using them (maybe once or twice a week) because its dark when I get up and when I get home and I'd like them to have some freedom on one or two walks a week but won't let them offlead in the dark.

I think there is a key issue with their use though - they simply do not replace voice control. If you're going to use one your dog should still come to you when called, stop when cued, wait when you tell it to and be able to walk at heel when asked to.

I certinaly don't think they should be used with puppies until they have basic training and can respond to certain commands - or else your likely to end up in a tangled mess or leave someone with rope burn as the puppy runs off and some poor stranger gets caught up in the rope. I can also imagine a situation where a puppy or dog running onto the road and getting swiped by a car.

To be honest I also think they promote pulling as they get used to that constant tension on their collar. So I would also recommend they are only used on a harness or something different to what you would usually use for loose lead walking. I have seen some people use them on choker chains before which just leaves me dumbfounded!

In the right hands they are a tool that can be of some benefit for certain circumstances but I think they are by no means a tool for everyone.

http://www.flexiusa.com/operation/safety-advice.php

CUTS AND BURNS

cuts-burns.gif

If the cord runs across your skin, it can cause abrasions (like a rope burn) or severe cuts. Cuts and burns are more likely if the cord/tape/belt wraps around any part of the body. Avoid contact with the cord/tape/belt and never let it wrap around any part of your body.

• Avoid contact with the cord/tape/belt and never let it wrap around any part of your body.
  • Do not allow slack to build up in the cord/tape/belt– you might get tangled in the slack.
  • Do not touch the cord/tape/belt if the cord/tape/belt wraps around you. Turn around or pass the handle from one hand to the other to unwrap yourself. (See “Finger Amputation and Fractures”)
  • If you want to further reduce the risk of cuts and burns, you can wear long sleeves and pants to protect your arms and legs.

FINGER AMPUTATION AND FRACTURES

finger-amputation.gif

If the cord/tape/belt wraps around fingers or catches on a ring, a hard pull on the leash can amputate fingers or break bones.

• Avoid touching the cord/tape/belt when the leash is attached to your dog and never let the cord/tape/belt wrap around hands or fingers.
  • Do not hold the cord/tape/belt.
  • Do not grab the cord/tape/belt to control your dog.
  • If the cord/tape/belt gets entangled in a bush or other object, gain control of your dog before disentangling it. Do not touch the cord/tape/belt if your dog can pull on it. If you want to further reduce the risk of finger amputation and fractures, you can take off any rings and wear sturdy gloves.

EYE AND FACE INJURIES

eye-face.gif

If the leash or your dog’s collar breaks, or if the leash disconnects from your dog’s collar, the cord/tape/belt and hook can snap back with enough force to cause serious eye damage, broken teeth, cuts, and bruises. If the cord/tape/belt is under enough tension, this can happen even when the leash is locked.

• Follow instructions for inspecting, attaching and detaching the leash in the “Directions” portion of this pamphlet.
  • Tighten the safety collar around your dog’s neck and attach the hook to your dog’s regular collar. The safety collar prevents snap-back if the dog’s collar or the hook breaks, or if the leash disconnects from your dog’s collar.

FALLS

falls-.gif

Because the flexi™ leash is longer than regular leashes, your dog can build up more speed and pull on it harder, possibly pulling you to the ground.

• If your dog starts running away from you, immediately press the brake button to keep your dog from building up too much speed. If your dog has already built up speed, you will be pulled when you hit the brake or if the dog reaches the end of the leash.
  • Do not allow slack to build up in the cord/tape/belt – your dog may run and build up speed until the slack runs out, suddenly pulling you.
  • Have secure footing. Do not use the leash while on wheels (for example, a bike, skateboard or roller blades).

INJURIES TO BYSTANDERS

injury-to-bystander.gif

Bystanders are at risk of all of the injuries described in this pamphlet. In particular, they can be cut by the cord/tape/belt if they contact it or if it wraps around them. They might also trip on the leash.

• Be aware of bystanders. They might not notice the cord/tape/belt. Control your dog and keep the cord/tape/belt away from them.
  • When around other people or animals, shorten the leash and keep your dog at your side with the leash locked.
  • Avoid using the flexi™ leash near small children, including children in strollers.
  • If the cord/tape/belt gets wrapped around someone, tell them not to touch the cord/tape/belt. Gain control of your dog and do not touch the cord/tape/belt if your dog can pull on it.

Well that's enough to put me off....

To be honest I also think they promote pulling as they get used to that constant tension on their collar. So I would also recommend they are only used on a harness or something different to what you would usually use for loose lead walking. I have seen some people use them on choker chains before which just leaves me dumbfounded!

I've seen one on a pup wih a front attach no pull harness too. Quite bizarre! :confused:

Pity they didn't have all those dire warnings on the head type restraints! I've seen some awful things happen to dogs with those things! I love the extendables, never had a problem, dogs love them too, never had a puller but then they are always taught not to pull before they ever go on an extendable so what's around their necks doesn't make a difference.

Avoid using the flexi™ leash near small children,

But, but .... :o they can be a godsend used ON small children! ;) Yes, I have ....clipped onto a belt at the rear ... and everyone was totally safe . This was the original Flexi leash ..strong and reliable as!

Edited by persephone

There's a lady who walks a staffy type dog on a retractable lead around here. I avoid her like the plague as her dog dominates the footpath and she lets it go wherever it likes and it seems to be quite dog reactive. I hate retractable leads with a passion.

Hate them

If a client’s dog has one I’ll keep it at a standard 2m if there is no other lead to use

My fiance’s SWF has one, but when I walk him with my GSD I have them both on 2m normal leads – there is such limited control otherwise (for this particular dog)

I'm not a fan of retractable leads... seems that most of the people who use them really have no clue and don't pay enough attention to what their dog is actually doing.

T.

This is so true. Too often I see a small dog half way across a busy street while the owner/handler is still only leaving the curb! :eek:

I was considering getting one for a visit to the beach but didn't end up going. If the dog went out to sea I could reel her back in (joke)

Edited by LizT

http://www.flexiusa.com/operation/safety-advice.php

CUTS AND BURNS

cuts-burns.gif

If the cord runs across your skin, it can cause abrasions (like a rope burn) or severe cuts. Cuts and burns are more likely if the cord/tape/belt wraps around any part of the body. Avoid contact with the cord/tape/belt and never let it wrap around any part of your body.

• Avoid contact with the cord/tape/belt and never let it wrap around any part of your body.
  • Do not allow slack to build up in the cord/tape/belt– you might get tangled in the slack.
  • Do not touch the cord/tape/belt if the cord/tape/belt wraps around you. Turn around or pass the handle from one hand to the other to unwrap yourself. (See “Finger Amputation and Fractures”)
  • If you want to further reduce the risk of cuts and burns, you can wear long sleeves and pants to protect your arms and legs.

FINGER AMPUTATION AND FRACTURES

finger-amputation.gif

If the cord/tape/belt wraps around fingers or catches on a ring, a hard pull on the leash can amputate fingers or break bones.

• Avoid touching the cord/tape/belt when the leash is attached to your dog and never let the cord/tape/belt wrap around hands or fingers.
  • Do not hold the cord/tape/belt.
  • Do not grab the cord/tape/belt to control your dog.
  • If the cord/tape/belt gets entangled in a bush or other object, gain control of your dog before disentangling it. Do not touch the cord/tape/belt if your dog can pull on it. If you want to further reduce the risk of finger amputation and fractures, you can take off any rings and wear sturdy gloves.

EYE AND FACE INJURIES

eye-face.gif

If the leash or your dog’s collar breaks, or if the leash disconnects from your dog’s collar, the cord/tape/belt and hook can snap back with enough force to cause serious eye damage, broken teeth, cuts, and bruises. If the cord/tape/belt is under enough tension, this can happen even when the leash is locked.

• Follow instructions for inspecting, attaching and detaching the leash in the “Directions” portion of this pamphlet.
  • Tighten the safety collar around your dog’s neck and attach the hook to your dog’s regular collar. The safety collar prevents snap-back if the dog’s collar or the hook breaks, or if the leash disconnects from your dog’s collar.

FALLS

falls-.gif

Because the flexi™ leash is longer than regular leashes, your dog can build up more speed and pull on it harder, possibly pulling you to the ground.

• If your dog starts running away from you, immediately press the brake button to keep your dog from building up too much speed. If your dog has already built up speed, you will be pulled when you hit the brake or if the dog reaches the end of the leash.
  • Do not allow slack to build up in the cord/tape/belt – your dog may run and build up speed until the slack runs out, suddenly pulling you.
  • Have secure footing. Do not use the leash while on wheels (for example, a bike, skateboard or roller blades).

INJURIES TO BYSTANDERS

injury-to-bystander.gif

Bystanders are at risk of all of the injuries described in this pamphlet. In particular, they can be cut by the cord/tape/belt if they contact it or if it wraps around them. They might also trip on the leash.

• Be aware of bystanders. They might not notice the cord/tape/belt. Control your dog and keep the cord/tape/belt away from them.
  • When around other people or animals, shorten the leash and keep your dog at your side with the leash locked.
  • Avoid using the flexi™ leash near small children, including children in strollers.
  • If the cord/tape/belt gets wrapped around someone, tell them not to touch the cord/tape/belt. Gain control of your dog and do not touch the cord/tape/belt if your dog can pull on it.

Well that's enough to put me off....

Plastic bags come with a warning printed on them..shame we have come to this...

I'm not a fan of retractable leads... seems that most of the people who use them really have no clue and don't pay enough attention to what their dog is actually doing.

T.

I have one and it's great. 50 kilo breaking strain. Of course you have to use common sense when using it, something that is sometimes in short supply. Don't blame a tool for it's misuse, blame the idiot using it wrongly.

I still have my original old green retractable FLEXI_LEASH ..used for around 25 years .... with labs ..... ratbag Koolies, and a PIG or two :)

and still going strong .

There are so many cheap and shoddy ones to be sourced now. :(

The users of these mostly have no idea of how to train their dog to use one the best way .... and owners let dogs roam and pull.

Not the retractable lead at fault at all.... just another example of dog owners not understanding their dog and how to use training tools :(

Agreed.

I have one and it is great for my SWF in certain circumstances.

I was never a fan of them for larger dogs eg my Dobe, as they could be very dangerous on a lunging 30kgs of muscle. My 5kg bouncer is quite ok tho. :laugh:

Where we are now, I use a 6' normal lead and it's all that is needed. I have come across others using flexi leads and some of their dogs have been in my dogs face. I even had to tell one lady to "Pull your dog back" twice on one occasion. Fortunately, I came across her again a few days later and the flexi lead was not in use. Maybe she got the idea?

I now avoid certain times/places so as to reduce the chances of encountering these idiots.