Breeder Unhappy With My Questions

ziggyboy

I live 3 and 1/2 hrs from the airport. The transport company wanted $100's extra to pick pup up. I offered to drive pup to airport but did expect to have my costs covered by the buyer. If you had asked cause you did not want to pay the costs you would not get a pup from me. The pups that went overseas I also drove to the airport but as their owner was already paying very high transport costs i did it for free and worked it in with something else. I offered. I was not asked.

The price for my pups covers them up to the age of 10 weeks, regular worming, microchipping, rego papers and one vaccination. Depending on the circumstances anything over that will be discussed. Transport is one thing certainly covered by the buyer.

It is no good coming on here and saying "hey, new puppy buyer here" so you were not to know how these things work, when you say you research everything else and have already been here for a bit asking questions.

You need to pick up the phone. Your email would raise warning flags for me too.

ETA if the purchase price was extra to cover for those 2 weeks and a 2nd vaccination I do not think it unreasonable to discuss if the price is the same, over the phone, but you have to realise you changed your plans the breeder didn't.

Edited by Rebanne

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the general tone of successive emails was cost focussed and specifically cost reduction focussed, I'd probably be concerned too. I'd be wondering what other corners you were going to cut financially with the puppy once it got to you.

Pick up the phone. You don't get tone or two way conversation via email sadly. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I didn't know about vaccinations

Ermmm, it's called research . :0

would you buy a car ..an expensive car without checking what the other fees were, without asking about running costs, without talking to folks about the best tyres, oils , etc ???

(maybe you would .....)

I'm very well researched with the dog itself but not costs.

OK can I ask how am I to know puppy costs without calling a breeder? Isn't the first thing about finding out costs contacting someone who sells them? Are people suggesting I research puppy costs before contacting a breeder? That does not make sense.

OK can I ask how am I to know puppy costs without calling a breeder? Isn't the first thing about finding out costs contacting someone who sells them? Are people suggesting I research puppy costs before contacting a breeder? That does not make sense.

For starters if the breed has a breed club you could ask there. You could ask here. You could look google the breed here in Aus and see what websites pop up and if they have prices on them. If you find 10 saying a pup is $1000 then most are likely around that price. If it's a rare breed it's a bit harder. You could check with vets costs of vacc's, meds, desexing.

Edited by Rebanne

Its the emphasis you're placing on the costs that is the problem. Plus or minus the cost of a vaccination etc is a blip on the radar if you're happy with the breeder and future puppy.

To be honest I researched a lot about the pup I'm getting trying to find an estimated price, and the only things I found were American, so not much help here! The internet doesn't always help.

I never asked a breeder the cost, but most replied with the cost of the pups anyway, if by phone within 10 minutes and if by email some were in the first reply most were in the second. The breeder I'm going with told me the cost after I had a good chat with her at the show where I met her.

Edited by LisaCC

Guest donatella

It's a tough one because there is no real set price on pups and you can get 3 breeders selling the same pup for 3 different prices and they can all be of the same quality. I am happy to pay whatever it takes to get a pup from a good breeder with quality parents, I wouldn't necessarily buy the cheapest breeder on the market.

The cost of puppy vacs is really nothing much to worry about, but as a first time puppy owner you probably don't know that. I wouldn't personally ask for a reduction to cover this cost.

Edited by donatella

You sound so much like my brother Ziggyboy, I had to check where you were located :laugh: My brother always has to feel like he has got a good deal, will barter on just about anything, drives me insane (well, used do, I no longer have anything to do with him)

TBH your approach would probably have got my back up. Buying a puppy is not the same as buying a second hand car. It isn't about getting the best deal, it's about getting the best puppy for you and your situation. I suppose it depends on what other question you asked as well. If you asked all the appropriate question re health test, temperament of parents, exercise requirements etc AND asked about the cost etc that wouldn't have been so bad but of you ONLY asked about the costs it would have looked pretty bad.

Either way, I would talk to the breeder if you still want a pup. Apologise for the confusion (This is not a time to be insiting you did nothing wrong) and move on from there.

There are a number of threads on here about the best way to approach a breeder, what to put in initial emails etc. Maye do a search for those and try again.

Good luck (Very curous about what breed you have decided to go for I have to admit :D )

To be honest your posts do have a cost cutting to e to them.

I personally think that asking purchase price is not unreasonable as I don't commit to buying anything without knowing what it will cost.

Asking for money off if a second vaccination was given and asking if they could deliver the pup to the airport to save costs would also raise flags for me.

I am sure if the question was, would it be possible for you to take the pup to the airport for me, I am of course happy to pay fuel - or something similar - then that would be different.

The costs AFTER you purchase a pup are the biggest ones, so to me it would make more sense in focusing on those costs once you have a fairly good idea on puppy and transport costs.

I have always researched and booked my puppies flights myself after liasing with the breeder as to best times/days for them to take the puppy to the airport. I also always give them a bit extra to cover fuel even when not asked.

Edited by OSoSwift

Depending on what breed we are talking about then yes, you can research the range of costs within the breed before you contact the breeder. Websites, and as others said breed clubs can be helpful. For me, with performance sports in mind, the price didn't bother me, I am more interested in finding the right dog for what I want to do.

I don't think you did anything terrible, asking for the price to be reducedbecause of a vaccination might have got the breeder off side a bit, but I would just call and have a chat and try and clear it up.

I think the whole "you can't ask price" thing is ridiculous, as long as you dont ONLY ask that :laugh:

Not everyone is loaded and most people need to know how much something is, yes even a pet, before they can commit to purchasing it.

Probably the other thing you need to realise is that most small breeders would be lucky to cover their costs so haggling on price doesn't come across too well. For many people it's a hobby and a passion and they want to know that a puppy's new owner will care more about the puppy than the price. Just like they do :)

As others have suggested pick up the phone and have a chat :)

Breeders are under a lot of pressure to ensure that they are sending their puppies to homes that are going to be able to keep them all of their lives and afford to pay for them.

Because of the questions you asked it simply raised a red flag that the breeder needs to check and and be sure that you are going to be able to afford to pay for expenses .In fact if she didnt follow up and do a bit more work to be sure you are not going to be someone who wants to cut costs the the detriment of the dogs health she would be negligent and possibly setting herself up for a major pain later on for the dog. Her first obligation is to the pup.

She didnt say she wont sell you the pup she simply followed up to be sure. Im certainly not saying you have done anything wrong or asked questions you shouldnt but they do give a potential insight into how you think and in my opinion you left her no option but to try to get a better feel for your general attitude to how you will care for and pay for necessities for the pup when you take it home.

Just ring her and tell her you like to shop around but that you wont try to economise in regard to the care or welfare of the pup and that you are sorry you worried her - if thats how you feel.

I know a lot of people on high salaries who still like to bargain about every little thing.

A caring breeder should question a potential home on absolutely anything that concerns her. This isn't being difficult, it is being responsible, so you should be glad that you have the opportunity to obtain a pup from her.

BTW, you would positively HATE trying to get a pup from me - for a start we insist on meeting the entire family, which usually rules out flying a pup to its new home:-) and if we have the slightest gut feeling or concern, that's it, no adoption. It may mean we miss out on a great home, but having been burnt, we prefer it that way.

If you started quibbling with me about the cost of the 2nd vacc esp if it suited you to get the puppy after 12 weeks and now wanted to get the pup at 10 weeks because it suited you better!!!!......that would certainly get my back up!!!

I could care less about your 6 digit salary.....those are the owners that usually get rid of pups at the drop of a hat....as money is no issue for them.......

Like the others said.. call up the breeder and have a chat with them.

Honestly, whether you asked the wrong or right question, something isn't right between the breeder and you and if you still want the pup.. best to talk it out and clear the air.

Good luck

I think the point is that most breeders are not open to haggling. That may be strange to others who have had more involvement in buying things other than dogs.

I never mind talking price, and don't mind at all if it's a first question. But it's not negotiable. Many breeders are financially in the red by the time pups are ready to leave home. Quibbling over pettiness such as vaccination costs just seems a bit rude. I would be inclined to wonder what other seemingly minor expenses might be considered negotiable in the pup' s future.