Gracie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone. Trying not to think about it too much after this morning so I stay functional at work. Only have to stray and think on her for a minute and tear up and I hadn't even met her in the flesh yet......

Some just get you more than others........ the young, the sick, the oldies..........just wrong.

Re the ringworm, have you tried F10 ointment? I discovered it a few years ago and swear by it now. Its much nicer on them little bodies than the gris (although I use both in severe cases).

Sorry kirty no - didn't ignore your post, just likely scimmed over it in my recent state. Haven't tried it and will keep it mind -although it is likely similar to other topical antifungals I use for spot treating anyway. Given she had quite a bit of hair missing, was knawing and had some nasty scabs, it was pretty severe I'd say - there was too much to spot treat and I don't think a topical on its own would have cut it - same as you indicated you would use both in more severe cases. If she was much younger (i.e. < 3 months) though I probably wouldn't have used the grisevin as I know it can be a bit not so nice on the GI tract.

She was on malaseb and the grisevin at the vets - I am not sure if a topical was being used as well but I was told the ringworm was starting to look better and recover (before she become sick).............

Edited by Just Andrea

Sadly Gracie lost her fight this morning.

Such a horrible outcome for one so young - impounded and alone, constant discomfort of ringworm for several weeks and now this for her last few days - shitty way to go out.

So sorry little girl - I was so looking forward to seeing you soon and giving you a big cuddle. Gutted.

I am so sorry and sad, Just Andreea. Poor little darling.

It is heartbreaking for, as you say, such a young dog to have suffered so much and not get the chance to have a happy life that someone would be over the moon to give her.

Anyone with the slightest involvement in rescue knows the tremendous thrill of getting a dog through illnesses brought on by simple neglect and lack of care and that dog going on to be the joy of someone's life.

Conversely most of us have known the heartbreak of dogs who are just too medically compromised (which seems to be the case with Gracie) that no amount of skill and love can pull them through.

Deepest sympathies, Just Andrea. Yes, you and the vets tried your damnedest, yes you gave Gracie a name, love and the best chance possible. Sadly, her "happy ever after" was not to be.

Fly free, little Gracie. We felt your pain and we certainly feel the loss of you.

Thanks everyone. Still have a permanent headache from yesterday - feel like knocking myself out a bit with some heavy duty pain relief but can't.

Glad to finally see some photos of the lovely Wagga BT pups with tdierikx and not see any go down at GRAS today - makes today a bit easier knowing some pups are thriving and we didn't lose any other dogs today.

Thats very kind offers both tdierikx and huntrox - please don't feel obligated but the gesture is much appreciated.

I am not game to find out the bill at the moment and avoidance is working well for me right now.........won't have to talk about her if I don't call but will do it in a couple of days nonetheless.....but for now its rather raw and the vets know I'm not going anywhere so will catch up with them in due time - one shock is enough for now.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Well now I'm over the shock of losing Gracie and the shock of the vet bill, I have now done a poster for our website and sent it around to rescuers locally to put up to try and get some support.

If anyone else would like to put the poster up at work or elsewhere, please pm me with your email address and I'll send it on.

Cheers.

bump

Poster arrived. :(

Andrea maybe your group could run a raffle or a lucky number draw or something?

xxx

Thanks Anna - unfortunately Gracie is just one of many large bills lately (like most groups around the area who are also struggling to keep up with extra costs) - so we are actually planning a raffle for Cooper - the boy we had in care that got bitten by a brown snake - had his own thread a while back - he had a bad skin condition and then got bitten by a snake .....unfortunately that bill is still largely outstanding and has been on hold while I have attended to more urgent matters but he is now also on the radar for fundraising too.

We figured people would like to buy a raffle ticket in a success story rather than one that didn't make it so we are running a future raffle for Cooper and poster appeal for Gracie.