Dog Crates

I am in the market for a new crate, following the destruction of my old one by a very naughty spaniel. Admittedly the soft crate was a cheaper one, and about 5 years old.....but still not happy :(

I'm looking at getting a new crate, although my preference leans towards a soft crate rather than one of the wire ones. Not sure why, probably the soft ones just look more comfy to me :D ...and have some recollection of some of the wire ones collapsing with the dog in it.

The front "door" (the mesh part) of the old crate is what was ripped by the dog. Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience with the newer softcrates, or can I put it down to an old one.

Dogs will be crated overnight in it.

I also have a crate from http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/

The quality is excellent, my 40+kg Rottie loved it, and it lasted her many years. My crate is super durable and still going strong now. The owner of the business herself owns 4 Rotties and uses the crates for them when she shows and competes so the crates are definitely sturdy! If I needed to buy another soft crate I'd buy from them again.

if your dog ripped the mesh out of one soft crate he will rip it out of the next. I'd be buying a wire crate. I've never had a wire crate collapse on a dog but you can always cable tie it if you are worried.

Durability of dog crates depend on how destructive your dogs are!

I wouldn't risk it if they've destroyed one, just got a wire crate. Firstly he now knows he CAN destroy it so will probably try again, and secondly since the dog lays in it, not on it, the comfort level is driven by what you put in it, not what it's made of.

I use soft crates BUT all dog are crate trained in wire crates first & even then the soft crates are used for certain occasions,even though my dogs are 100% in a soft crate i wouldn't trust them on there own .

Infact my most trusted dog feel asleep & rolled out of his as the mesh gave way from the stitching .

The only wire crates ive known to collapse are those not put together correctly or in bad condition otherwise i have wire crates here that are 20 or more years old ,flown mutli states used all the time & never ever had an issue.

Mind you some people buy the cheapest wire crates to & some of them are that "cheap "

Edited by showdog

Thanks everyone. My concern was that now she knows she can do it, she will (but hoping it was a one off). Is there a particular brand of wire crate that is tried and tested?

They have only previously been crated in their show trolley or soft crate when we've been out, the overnight arrangement is new, due to my other girl deciding she is no longer house trained :eek: ....and howling all night if she doesn't have a buddy with her. The night wetter wouldn't dream of destroying the crate; the other one is Houdini.

My dogs were crate trained in wire crate. Graduated to the soft crate at home. Then had some practice away from home. All good. Then one day decided he wanted out and ripped the mesh out of the fairly new K9 Pro crate and escaped in 10 seconds flat. Wire crates are the only way you can be sure they will stay where you want them. If you are not carrying the crate around (eg for home use) wire wins hands down. If they have learnt to rip mesh, they will do it again.

Hi Dougal :)

I am the owner of K9+ Soft Dog Crates and I will give you the same spiel that I offer all prospective customers asking similar questions as yours.

In my experience and opinion soft styled dog crates are designed to house dogs that are either puppies being closely trained and supervised or adults that are comfortable and confident in their own company and content with confinement. So basically what I am saying is that almost ANY dog over the age of 16 weeks COULD if they were completely that way inclined, tear their way out of any brand of soft styled crate, mine included. The crates are not designed to house dogs that have this intent or lack of training.

If your dog is not comfortable and confident in her own company and content with confinement and you do not have the time, inclination or experience with training her until such time as she is, then purchasing another soft styled crate is likely to be setting yourself and your dog up for a loss rather a win.

As others have mentioned the fact that she has already torn her way out of one crate indicates that she is likely to do the same thing again unless a different strategy is adopted. The reason for this is that the act of destroying the crate and escaping is self rewarding, so she has inadvertently been praised for her act... unintentionally of course. :)

Once again in my opinion and experience the likelihood of success with using a soft styled crate depends more upon the owner, their experience, expectations, time, commitment, training skills and situation and less on the dog itself.

If an owner still has serious doubts about suitability after I have mentioned the above, I will suggest that perhaps they will be better off purchasing a steel crate.

For us, it is not about pumping out crates, but more about doing everything we can to ensure that we supply the best crate for the dog and owner or advise otherwise.

A soft styled dog crate is no more comfortable for a dog than a steel crate. The soft flexible walls are almost irrelevant. The bedding is what provides the comfort and different bedding can be used in either.

There are many people that prefer a soft styled crate for aesthetics, safety for little fingers, light weight portability or other reasons and of course these reasons are all very relevant because this is an owner's choice. That said I would always recommend that suitability is the first indicator of crate type choice rather than any of the above reasons.

Is it possible to successfully crate train a puppy to a soft styled crate? Absolutely.

Is it possible to crate train an adult dog to a soft styled crate? Absolutely.

Are there any dogs that no matter how much training is involved will never be a good candidate for a soft styled crate? Yes, there are some. I doubt yours is one of these, but without knowing more I could not say for sure.

Anyway, all food for thought and I hope this has been helpful :)

Please feel most welcome to send us an email and we can advise further.

[email protected]

Edited by dyzney

Thanks Dyzney - really helpful advice. You are right, I think it was about look for me with the wire crate.

SKG - They have been perfectly content in crates and trolleys previously (they are 8 years old), but neither are happy with now being restricted overnight when they have had the freedom to choose their sleeping spot in the house. The one that actioned the escape is too smart for her own good, very clever and determined, although generally not destructive.

....off to get a wire crate, and hopefully a full nights sleep soon.

Thanks Dyzney - really helpful advice. You are right, I think it was about look for me with the wire crate.

SKG - They have been perfectly content in crates and trolleys previously (they are 8 years old), but neither are happy with now being restricted overnight when they have had the freedom to choose their sleeping spot in the house. The one that actioned the escape is too smart for her own good, very clever and determined, although generally not destructive.

....off to get a wire crate, and hopefully a full nights sleep soon.

You are very welcome Dougal :)

Your dog who is no longer able to hold on overnight - what is the vet diagnosis?

There may be a simple answer ...

The BEST option for crating a dog who knows they may have a chance of escape is not to just go one or two steps up the scale ..but get the fort Knox variety ..which gives NO chance of escape at all ... :)

could you instead use a room with baby gates ? ..and maybe an indoor toilet if medication is no help for the night wetter?

persephone - I suspect it's because she's in season (although she's always been an excitable "wee'er" - I need to get her out the door as soon as she lays eyes on me or she just will just wee wherever she is - used to urinate all over me when I picked her up as a pup)- if it continues then we'll be off to the vet. Won't get her feet wet or cold, will just go wherever (think princess :-)) She's also been leaving other presents for me as well, both day and night.

The mesh on the main door of the soft crates from K9Pro have a broad X shaped reinforcement made from the same material as the walls. I'd be surprised if any dog could get through it! Link here: http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Soft-Dog-Crate-MEDIUM-%252d-80L-X-55W-X-60H.html

Unfortunately the pics don't show the reinforcing!

Hmmmmm........Sadly I don't think my dog would need to, she just rips the front out of the canvas.........hence she lives in a wire crate. The other two love their K9 soft crates. Thanks Dyzney!

I trained my dogs in wire crates, then used soft crates inside with no probs.

But during renos recently we put the soft crate outside and my bored dog chewed the front door (which was flopping open that day - not even done up) and it is therefore now a crate in name only - the zip is broken so it can't be done up.

I will be replacing it with one exactly the same (from K9 Pro - they are a really good strong soft crate) - but I won't leave it outside again to be used as a chew toy.

The same dog is very happy to spend the night sleeping in it and won't fret at all. He could chew his way out (in theory) but is happily crate trained and just wouldn't do it. My mistake was leaving it outside for him to start 'playing' with, instead of keeping it for use as a crate for him to sleep in.

We are back to using the old wire crate for the time being, and while these are certainly the stronger more durable option and I prefer the ventilation in a wire crate, I don't find them very portable as they're so heavy, so that is a limitation if you want to take your dog on holidays or to shows etc.