Need Help Please

Cougar

I did try leaving him outside in his kennel but that resulted in him barking at the laundry door, wanting to be let in with the other dog.

I don't humanise my dogs - but I don't know what other word to use to describe what he does/how he behaves? As in he does what he needs to do to get what he wants . I'm not sure how to re-cast that in a non human word using light.

It's barking. The fact that you're unable to determine what you consider to be a decent reason for it doesn't necessarily make it manipulative.

Can he get outside to pee when he's in the laundry? I think an issue to explore is why it doesn't happen every night. That in itself suggests to me that there is some sort of cause.

Blame and punishment aren't IMO a good response to this. See your vet. Get them to run a kidney function test while you're there.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... just a thought - can you put a nightlight in the laundry ? and perhaps a radio on talkback ? That may just help orient him a bit .... plus one of your old jumpers/ or a pillow slip you've used for a few days .....

It may be that his night vision is not as good as it used to be and he can't *see* in which position the other dog is.

We use a column heater in the laundry with our old dogs at night and they sleep soundly. It means the central heating can be turned off but their room is quite warm and it's economical to run.

I would try pers's suggestions first and I would try a thundershirt + DAP diffuser before I would consider any type of punishment.

ETA: If you think he is perfectly healthy then take a clean urine sample to the Vet and ask them to run an in-house urinalysis on it, it will give you a fair amount of information.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

They do change as they age. :)

Make sure your dog routine never changes, seniors love timetables.

Get him a doona, or a minky blanket. His very own one that's only used for him and when you want to tuck him in. I don't know why but some dogs like that.

Have a blood panel done. General health assessment and have his joint flexibility checked in case discomfort is waking him up.

You may need to look at his diet and digestive health - again, in case discomfort is a problem.

Do consider the warning signs of dementia, it's more common than you think and begins so subtly in some dogs that it's clearer in retrospect.

Column heater as suggested already.

Heated dog bed. Or heated dog bed inside an open-door crate with a blanket over it - no drafts.

In your room would be good, but it's not going to be a small crate.

I can't let them sleep inside as he would kill my cats (dogs and cats live in separate sections of the house).

I don't mind if he needs to go and wee every now and then - it's the carrying on when something/anything doesn't suit him. Oh his hearing and sight are perfectly fine, let me assure you (ask the neighbour's cat). And yes, it's only at night that we have problems.

With a citronella type collar, is that suitable for overnight? I've never used one, but I'd be worried about it not being under supervision if that makes sense.

The oth thing to remember is that if a citronella collar is used the poor Dane would be punished every time the Grey barks as they are in a small room together. Putting a dog in a situation in which they have no control over a punishing stimulus is not healthy.

I thinks it's bettere for both dogs if a non - punishing method is used.

Edited by raineth

Super easy....inside in a crate in your room :)

If you're going to use an e-collar I'd recommend one that is an 'e' version that has multiple limits and a vibrate warner and that will not trigger off the other dog. www.k9pro.com.au can recommend you one and they're not that expensive.

Edited by sas

primarily, just wanted to convey my sympathies to both you and your dog...and to add, our little boy is now 9 and is starting to demonstrate some very strange behaviours - some quite annoying including increased barking...so wondering if it's an age thing?

Take him for a Vet check up.I'm wondering if he may have a bit of Arthritis.Moving around in the day it would not be an issue but at night he may feel discomfort.

A heated bed would be a good idea anyway and ask the Vet for something to help him relax and get off to sleep.As humans age they can have trouble sleeping and it can be the same with dogs.

There is zero chance of him sleeping in our room, crated or not. My husband would prefer them to be outside in kennels. He thinks I've gone soft since the dane arrived as it is! I would have them sleeping in the lounge at least but for the cat thing. Floyd would go off his tree if he was crated with cats wandering around, not to mention the stress on the cats. I'm also a bit wary of making substantial changes to the cat/dog management strategy because I don't want to stuff it up. I've been juggling the cat/dog needs for 8ish years now so the habits are hard to re-train in me - and of course, if I get it wrong then the cats are the ones who die. (I do dream one day of re-integrating dogs and cats but obviously not with the hound around)

I am contemplating different bedding strategies in the laundry, we had different beds in there last night and he only got up once for a wee. I'll certainly give the vet visit serious thought, I hadn't really thought of it in a medical issues light. Arthritis is a possilbilty at this age - but I forget he's 9 sometimes, he doesn't really look or act it.

thanks for your thoughts Pollywaffle :) Maybe it is age. Hope you find some answers for your boy too.

Just a thought but have you tried putting both dogs outside in the kennel? You said that you put him out but he barked for the other dog, would putting them buth out be possible to see if that helps at all?

We'd have to get another kennel and I'm not sure how the dane would cope with that - she was a house dog, so never been kenneled outside. And she's not even attempted to go in the very large one that we have. I prefer at least having them in the laundry so it's warmer and more protected.

Edited by Cougar

Hi Cougar, I have a five year old greyhound who is similar. Often when she wants something she will bark. If another dog is on the bed she wants, if she wants to go out to the toilet, if she doesn't want to go through the dog door but wants me to get up and open it for her. It seems like stubbornness but all she needs is vocal assurance to get over it. "Amethyst, just go through the dog door like a normal dog!" "Amethyst, get on your fluffy mat!" And she normally will do just that. I never reward her by actually making another dog move or by opening the door! I think she just likes to whinge at things which frustrate her. My girl is very sensitive and will shut down at the drop of a hat so no adversives for her.

Hi Cougar, I have a five year old greyhound who is similar. Often when she wants something she will bark. If another dog is on the bed she wants, if she wants to go out to the toilet, if she doesn't want to go through the dog door but wants me to get up and open it for her. It seems like stubbornness but all she needs is vocal assurance to get over it. "Amethyst, just go through the dog door like a normal dog!" "Amethyst, get on your fluffy mat!" And she normally will do just that. I never reward her by actually making another dog move or by opening the door! I think she just likes to whinge at things which frustrate her. My girl is very sensitive and will shut down at the drop of a hat so no adversives for her.

Oh I am pleased to know he's not the only one! I had wondered whether I was doing something wrong as far the sighthound thing goes. More to think about, thanks :)

Actually the OP did already tried that with the greyhound on it's own, I was just expanding on a suggestion made earlier by another poster. What about a doggy door so the grey can come and go? Or leaving the laundry door ajar to see if having outdoor access helps and if it does then consider a dog door.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

It really sounds like dementia to me. Re: the blindness, it is possible to have night blindness and see well during the day.

I recently looked after an elderly mini schnauzer and only when he came to stay with me was it realised that he is almost completely blind. At home, he knew where everything was and would chase birds etc. At my house, if he walked into something he would stand and cry and would have no idea how to get around it. Point is, your dog might be moslty blind, but still able to chase the neighbours cat.

Please get a good vet - one who understands dementia, look over him. Please don't put a citronella collar on an elderly, confused dog - I actually can't believe that someone on a dog forum suggested that!

Old dogs can be taxing - they regress back to puppyhood without those puppy eyes to plead forgiveness. They need special care and need to get their "puppy licence" back a bit. It is all part of owning dogs.

ETA: A bit OT, but given it has been raised in a few posts I sometimes wonder if we have gone to far sometimes with the "don't reward behaviour you don't want" theme. For example, the leading experts now suggest that a comforting word to a scared dog is NOT rewarding the behaviour - it is showing compassion and can help the dog relax. Yet, there are still trainers who insist you must ignore a terrified dog and not "reward" that terror.

Edited by megan_

Just a thought but have you tried putting both dogs outside in the kennel?

An elderly greyhound outside in winter? :( Thankfully the Op is not considering that.

+1. Totally agree Clyde.

There is nothing wrong with a greyhound, including old ones, sleeping outside. Mine do so every night that I work, in minus degree temps and are perfectly fine. Good kennel, plenty of blankets and a couple of coats and all is well.

Gosh I'm surprised Rebanne. I honestly thought they would feel the cold too much as they have a such little natural coat to be outside of a night. Especially in a colder climate.

They are obviously a hardier breed than I thought :)