Toby Was Attacked Today :(

*kirty*

Toby my Standard Poodle was attacked this morning. She is fine thankfully, but I am very shaken up. :( I decided to take her with us to watch my son's junior footy game. We had just gotten out of the car and were walking toward the ground when I spotted a Staffy x being held by a 3-4yo child. The dog bolted toward Toby, dragging the small child on her tummy for several metres before she let go. It slammed into Toby and just started ripping into her. I doubt she even saw it coming. It all happened so fast that I couldn't do anything to stop it. I was trying to pull Toby away and push the dog off with my foot, but then I was able to land a solid kick which got the dog off her. By this stage the owner was there and managed to grab their dog and take it away. All the kids and parents saw the whole thing happen too, so no doubt more fire for the bull breed haters. I walked off to a quiet part of the gtound and bawled my eyes out! It was so horrible and this is the third time this has happened to me and my dogs. Toby doesn't have a mark on her but she was already wary of strange dogs so who knows what this will do to her. :(

The owner came up and apologised later and said they have just got the dog from the RSPCA and that she is 'only like this with other dogs'. I told her it was stupid to leave a small child holding a dog like that, especially when they know its DA. I told them to take it back to the RSPCA. :o

It could have been so much worse - I was going to take my IG but thought she wouldn't enjoy sitting in the cold. That dog could have killed her. And my 5yo daughter had asked to hold Toby's lead as we got out of the car but I said no because she isn't strong enough to hold her. If Holly had been holding the lead she might have been bitten too.

I am do sick of stupid people and their stupid bloody dogs. If you KNOW your dog is that DA, don't bring it to a junior footy game where lots of people bring their dogs, and don't let a small child hold the lead! I am definitely going to start carrying a stick from now on and I won't hesitate to use it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness your child wasn't holding your dog, and you'd left your iggy at home! Glad to hear that Toby didn't suffer any physical damage, but as you said, who knows what impact it has on his confidence.

Perhaps let the RSPCA know that not only did they rehome a DA dog, but they didn't screen/educate the new owners on managing the behaviour.

How awful for you and Toby, Kirty. God love us, there are plenty of beautiful dogs in pounds without someone getting a DA one. :mad:mad

What on earth is the RSPCA doing rehoming a DA dog, FFS?

I hope Toby's fear isn't exacerbated by this and that Holly isn't traumatised by it.

Lots of comfort food for you this afternoon.

Kirislin, they said they have been taking it to 'dog school' to fix the problem. If I'd been thinking more clearly I would have told her to take it to a behaviourist.

hippo, I'm surprised it slipped through the cracks. The RSPCA are normally quite tough on DA dogs. I did contemplate calling them but with all the bull breed rubbish I'm not sure what the repercussions would be.

So sorry this happened to you. It has happened to my dogs several times in recent years and I know it can be very upsetting. I hope your dog is not too traumatised.

I'm so sorry, kirty. That would have been awful for you & Toby. Bad enough that you were both so shaken, but sheer luck prevented the child or Toby from being badly injured. Little kid trying to hang on could've been slammed into something ... or Toby could've been ripped.

If someone knows they have a dog-aggressive dog, they have to think twice about taking it out in public. And how to keep it tightly restrained.

A bit O/T, but you said Toby is a Standard Poodle. Lovely, lovely dogs. We sat next to one at Million Paws Walk & it was a delight with strangers & other dogs. When another dog (wanting to play, not aggressive) did a 'stir up' bark at our 2 Tibbie girls, this SP stepped in front of them & gave a polite, but firm, 'leave the ladies alone' bark. Everyone around was chuffed.

Give Toby a big pat for me. Standard Poodles are brilliant dogs & it's a crying shame that he's been targeted by aggressive dogs.

Edited by mita

That's awful. I'd be reporting to your local council. Do you have any friends with friendly dogs you can get Toby around for a play.

The owners should be taking responsibility if they knew the dog was DA it should not have been with a small child. Did it even have a lead on?

Having had my own dogs attacked on more than one occasion I can sympathize, hope your feeling better soon.

Honestly I think dog attacks are terrifying to all involved. I remember being at an event at my vets and this old bloke (who could hardly walk) lost the collar off his cattle dog and it ran full bore at us. We had three dogs with us and one was only a few months old. We had no time to do anything but turn our backs on it and huddle around the dogs (mainly the pup) but it still rammed into my older sbt girl and she was so unprepared she peed and pood herself on the spot. The people around us grabbed the cattle dog and no blood was shed but the whole thing happened in a nano-second. The vet staff were so angry with him as they knew what his dog was like. He'd come with it for a free dog wash to a public event with a loose collar on!

Anyone who knows they have a problematic dog (even if they are trying to address those issues) has to be mindful of maintaining full control of that dog in public and if that means a harness or muzzling and keeping it leashed/tethered then so be it. The risk to other dogs, children and the adults who try and intervene is simply too great.

I'm sorry you, Toby and your daughter had to go through this.

Very sorry to hear this kirty *hugs* I hope you both recover your confidence soon.

One thing I've noticed (anecdotally) from my shelter dog behaviour research is that they can react so differently towards individual people, in different environments (eg shelter quarantine vs temp test vs adoption kennels vs home) and over time. The shelters I have worked with here and in the US have been tough on DA and HA.

Yes you're right TSD and I've seen it too (especially dogs who are nervous but 'find their feet' in their new home), but I find it hard to believe it didn't show any signs at all at the shelter. The way it raced over and launched into her with no provocation and no hesitation. :(

So sorry this has happened Kirty - I would have cried too. I think many an average dog owner simply see aggression as something dogs do and are not particularly worried by it which just served to compound the problem. Big hug to Toby and hope she doesn't have decreased confidence due to this. We have been rushed several times by dogs in our rural area and I must say it makes my youngest nervous while we are out walking. :cry:

Yes you're right TSD and I've seen it too (especially dogs who are nervous but 'find their feet' in their new home), but I find it hard to believe it didn't show any signs at all at the shelter. The way it raced over and launched into her with no provocation and no hesitation. :(

:( What a crap experience. The owner's idea of "just adopted it" might be different too - sometimes time stands still when people are in denial that they have a serious problem. If you can follow up with council or the shelter please do *more hugs*

Edited by The Spotted Devil

So sorry ;very scary for everyone.Poor little girl getting dragged along the ground .I would also let the RSPCA know; they should rethink their adoption processes to make sure new owners are educated about dogs before they are adopting them.A lady i knew once adopted a very large dog from RSPCA knowing not much about dogs and took it home and left it inside with her 2 cats when she went to work.She came home to find the cats dead and the house trashed.Lucky she got home first before her kids got home from school.I wish people would research about dogs and what breeds would suit them before they consider getting one.

How scary for you all! As a mother I cannot help but feel for the poor little child who got dragged, it would have been a very traumatic event and shame on the parents for putting their child in that position.

Thank golly that Toby bore no injuries from it, hopefully the mental effect will be just as minimal as well.

Hope Toby is feeling better :) it super annoys me with people like that, what if Toby was aggressive but you had full control, what then?

Last weekend at our show I couldn't get over it and was getting very very annoyed! I have two cattle dogs, one used to be super with all dogs and people, but now, is a little funny because of all the stray dogs allowed to wander In this town. As soon as another dog shows an ounce of dominance, he goes for it, it's like he is getting in first. Mind you, he is fully controllable in public... Competes off lead in agility and obedience fine! The other is a snappy little girl who was allowed to be bulled at puppy pre school, as a result, she can snap if feeling intimidated. Again, I can control both and the little one even hides behind me when meeting new dogs, as she knows she gets in trouble if she ges cranky!

Anyways, last weekend, I entered them in the show, they compete and do well in the little pet stuff, and was doing an agility display. While I was holding them off to the side, these people are talking to others while their fluffies are on a long lead wandering wherever they like! Elvis is thinking mmmm dinner! It got to the stage where I had mine pretty much by the collar coz these fluffies were getting too close!

I don't understand how people can be so daft about this sort of thing, just like this owner was with letting her kid hold the dog!