Survey - Do We Judge A Book By Its (canine) Cover?

tjhowell

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a possible Amstaff cross but impossible to tell just from a head shot. It looked bored so impossible to make any observations about it and I pretty much answered no to every description because the photo showed me nothing.

Started and gave up when it asked if I thought the dog looked skinny - from a head shot!

In fact the majority of questions asked need more than a head shot to answer.

Personally it is one of the worst designed psychology surveys I have seen. Most people with a reasonable amount of dog experience would want to answer "too hard to tell from the information at hand" to most of the questions :rofl:

Yep, that's what I thought too, they needed an I dont know button, I would've used it most of all.

If survey was done with NON dog owners a totally different response would be evoked I imagine, do you intend to cross reference the study using non dog owners as opposed full on dog owners? What sort of qualitative & quantitative data will you use to justify outcome?

I have to say the ?cavoodle photo I got most of the beginning questions could be split between agree and totally disagree, however when answering the 'personality/temperament'questions I definately had to remain neutral as has already been stated you cannot judge a book by it's cover nor can you judge a dog just by a photo or preconceived notion of a particular breed, as like humans all dogs are innately different.

Don't think it was Elsie, either ...now I'm confused :o

I think I might have had the same one - black and white BC look with loop sided ears but with maybe a little something else added - a very serious wise looking maybe older dog !

I liked the survey because it made me think of my preconceptions of BC's - I really thought through my answers and debated with myself if I was answering because I thought it was a BC or actually answering about the specific photo.

Don't think it was Elsie, either ...now I'm confused :o

I think I might have had the same one - black and white BC look with loop sided ears but with maybe a little something else added - a very serious wise looking maybe older dog !

I liked the survey because it made me think of my preconceptions of BC's - I really thought through my answers and debated with myself if I was answering because I thought it was a BC or actually answering about the specific photo.

:) could well have been the same face !

I thought the whole point was to show up any biases you might have about the breed or the particular look of a dog, whether you get them from personal experience, (eg being asked to rate a cattle dog when you own one), or from stories on tv.

I know people who are terrified of cattle dogs. And some who attribute cattle dogs to the massacre of their people. So I imagine their rating would be very different to mine. Even I treat new cattle dogs with a great deal of careful respect until I know they're friendly. Same with some other big scary looking breeds of dog. And some small bitey breeds.

And while I'm rabbiting on about my personal prejudices...

There was a story on life matters (ABC radio national) this morning about a chinese woman and her rescue dog and her story. A bit of an eye opener for me. I think the experience with the dog was a bit of an eye opener for her.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/ying-ying-and-max/4897186

One thing she said that was that dog eating was not very common any more in China and certainly not in Hong Kong, and that owning dogs as part of the family was very popular there now. And I don't think she knew the term "heart dog" but that's how I'd describe how this dog was for her.

I thought the whole point was to show up any biases you might have about the breed or the particular look of a dog, whether you get them from personal experience, (eg being asked to rate a cattle dog when you own one), or from stories on tv.

I'd say the fact that you wrote you have a cattle dog and then got a picture of a cattle dog was purely coincidental.

Some people here got Labs, and while I wrote I had Labs, I got an oodle. I logged on again, didn't write any breed in what breed you own, it took me through to the survey and I got what looked to be a cavalier or cavalier cross.

if I get a photo of a breed I know and love - my answers are going to reflect that. I'm not going to try to guess how someone who isn't familiar with the breed would answer.

I was thinking along those lines. I got a pic of a Cav.... & I know 2 Cavs very well. So I was thinking about them when I answered.

But I would've had a totally different approach if I'd got a breed that I wasn't familiar with at all.... then I would've fallen back on judging a book from its cover (rather than breed knowledge).

Edited by mita