Reminder - Always Keep Dogs Secured In Cars.

CrazyCresties

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but just wanted to remind people of the consequences of having an unsecured dog in the car.

I was coming up to lights at a crossroad yesterday just as they turned red, so luckily was slowing down anyway. The car in front of me was the last one through and about 30m in front of me. I saw what I initially thought was a coat fall out of the side window, but then my brain kicked in and realised a dog had fallen from the car!! :eek: They would have been going about 20-30kms/hr I guess at the time.

I put my hazards on and stopped my car, leapt out and stopped the traffic in the lane next to me as well, and had my heart in my mouth while the dog dodged traffic coming across from the other direction! Somehow he made it to me without being hit and looked so relieved to be off the road. The person eventually got to me from the car and was so thankful and said he had just learnt how to open the window!

He was a gorgeous staffie/Am staff type boy and mostly looked ok. He wasn't putting weight on one rear leg, so I suggested an immediate trip to the vet, and a harness to secure him in the car in future!

I hope he is ok :( It was such a shock to see! Not one other person bothered to stop and try to help though :mad

Oh gosh, how scary!! Good thing you were there :)

I saw a guy in a ute with his AmStaff just floating about in the back tray yesterday, unsecured, on a 100km/hr highway. You could see him hanging on for dear life every time he turned a corner or took off! frown.gif

Edited by RubyStar

I saw a guy in a ute with his AmStaff just floating about in the back tray yesterday, unsecured, on a 100km/hr highway. You could see him hanging on for dear life every time he turned a corner or took off! frown.gif

I scares me sh*tless everytime I see this, and I see it too frequently :mad There was even the occasion when I turned up to training at DogsWest and someone's dog leapt out of the back of their ute just as they arrived and was left hanging by its neck! Luckily it was grabbed quickly and let down and seemed ok.

Secure your dog safely, preferably in a crate if on the back of a ute - or in a crate or harness if inside your car - it's not hard :mad

I scares me sh*tless everytime I see this, and I see it too frequently :mad There was even the occasion when I turned up to training at DogsWest and someone's dog leapt out of the back of their ute just as they arrived and was left hanging by its neck! Luckily it was grabbed quickly and let down and seemed ok.

Secure your dog safely, preferably in a crate if on the back of a ute - or in a crate or harness if inside your car - it's not hard :mad

You clearly have never tried to secure a 65kg Great Dane in a car then.

Ok fair enough :laugh: Also if they are in the boot of say an SUV or estate car, then it is better than loose on the back seats, but I just see so many people driving along with dogs half hanging out of windows without thinking of the consequences.

Ok fair enough :laugh: Also if they are in the boot of say an SUV or estate car, then it is better than loose on the back seats, but I just see so many people driving along with dogs half hanging out of windows without thinking of the consequences.

I would not travel with a dog in the boot area of a SW or SUV due to risk of being rear ended - more likely that happen than a side on collision.

Good for you for stopping and helping! It's scary to think of the "what if's" - what if they were travelling faster, what if there was a car in the lane next to them that couldn't stop, what if someone rear ended them .... My boy is always transported in a travel crate or a tether in the back seat ... but then he's just a little 6 month old Maltese - but the potential is there!

:eek: Yirks !!! Good on you for helping CC :thumbsup: That would of been so scary for everyone including the poor pooch. Glad he wasn't too injured. Could of been a a hell of a lot worse :(

We always install a cargo barrier to help keep our 2 as safe as possible. You see some half hanging out of windows or unrestrained in the back of utes is one that really amazes me as they fly around

corners.The poor dog is barely able to stop from skidding from side to side.

Our two ride with the back seats folded down & are secured by their safety harnesses connected to the cargo barrier behind them. The young guy is notorious for chewing through his harness & recently went through three in one weekend :mad I have now made him up a harness made of chain. Last week at training I left the two of them in the car with the keys in the ignition. As it started getting dark, I walked past my car & the headlights came on....of course....who was sitting in the drivers seat....my boy Cricket. :D He had somehow stood on the keys that turned on the ignition & the headlights work on a sensor system, so on they came. He thinks he is more clever than Flynn in the Jeep ad. :laugh:

No unsecured dogs on back of utes.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you know if this means dogs can still be on the back of utes as long as they are chained to them, or flat out no dogs on backs of utes? I know it happens a lot, but I really hate seeing it, unless you're on a farm or something! Dogs on backs of utes on suburban roads (and 100 km/hr hwy's! eek1.gif) scare me :(

http://kb.rspca.org.au/Is-it-legal-to-have-unrestrained-dogs-on-ute-trays-or-trucks_501.html

Western Australian legislation does not specifically address the transportation of unrestrained dogs, however, s.19(3)(a) of the Animal Welfare Act 2002 prohibits a person from transporting an animal in a way that is likely to cause that animal unnecessary harm.

:mad

:eek: Yirks !!! Good on you for helping CC :thumbsup: That would of been so scary for everyone including the poor pooch. Glad he didn't seem too injured. Could of been a a hell of a lot worse :(

We always install a cargo barrier to help keep our 2 as safe as possible. You see some poor dogs half hanging out of windows or unrestrained in the back of utes is one that really amazes me as they fly around

corners.The poor dog is barely able to stop from skidding from side to side.

Edited by BC Crazy