How Often Do You Run Your Dogs Off Leash?

silentchild

127 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you run your dogs off leash?

• Every day
    • Several times a week
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Rarely
    • Never

Just out of curiosity, how often do you take your dogs for an off leash run?

I guess this doesn't really apply if you live on large acreage and your dogs just roam on your property, but I am thinking more the suburban dwelling dog owners - how often do you take your dogs to a designated off leash area, be it a park, beach or bush?

I try to take my dog for an off leash romp at least once a week, mostly we manage between two - three times a week and we love exploring new places. On leash walks, training and games fill up the other times so we get more or less equal on leash and off leash time.

edited to add she also gets free run in our backyard every day, it's not very big, but large enough for her to do small zoomies, play fetch, etc.

Just curious to know what other dog owners do in terms of off leash vs on leash walks. :)

Edited by silentchild

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live on a suburban block so not much room for the dogs to run about. I take them to an off lead park as often as I can approx 3-4 times a week. It's easier for them all to run off lead than it is to walk them on lead.

I aim for daily....sometimes it's a burn off at the oval after training, for Zig it's a gallop in the forest but Em likes to take off hunting so I let her run hard on the back block - she does a lot of hard running when she's training though. I need them to be as running fit as possible for retrieving/agility trialling plus it's a great release for them after training.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Sorry...I shouldn't have voted as we are on a farm. But even then they only get the one run a day off leash & that's in the morning. Afternoon walk is always on lead otherwise they would be back in the dam & wet all night. :o

Every day. Luckily I live a 15 minute walk away from a fenced park, which allows dogs (although not a designated dog park, which is actually a good thing). That's where we go every morning. I find it absolutely vital for a dog to be able to stretch their legs without being held back by a leash. There's a larger oval about a half an hour walk away and we try to go there every couple of weeks, but the one closer to me is pretty good too. :)

Where I used to live we had a forest right around the corner where I could let my dog run around.. I very much miss being surrounded by forest.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Depends on the weather. Almost every day in summer because we go to the beach.

eta

It's too wet and cold here at the moment. It's been raining for the past 3 days.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Everyday, twice a day, for about half an hour in the morning and at least an hour at night. we do some road work too, but its easier with 3 to have them offlead as my BT walks right in front of me and trps me up onlead :laugh:

I voted rarely since I didn't have my own car before and there wasn't much of an opportunity to take him to the park, but I recently just bought one so hopefully will get to take him more often!

Edited by mel_

Rarely. There is a great dog park about a 5 minute drive away, it has a lake and agility equipment but I'm not keen on leash free parks so we don't go often even though my dogs are friendly and have pretty good recall.

They do zoomies in our yard and spend a lot of time playing and wrestling with each other and they get an on leash walk around 4 times a week. They are Bulldogs though, so don't require heaps of exercise and prefer to lay on the lounge or bed in the air con :)

I try for at least once a week and only out bush with no one around. Only a select couple are allowed to run wild though. The old BC girl can't be trusted to not bolt off so she is on lead only. And the terrier can't be trusted not to go with his instincts and go down a bunny hole (I don't blame him :laugh: ).