Nova Scotia Toller Vs Golden Retriever

sheena

I have a friend visiting that has always had either Golden Retrievers of Labradors & her current dog is a GR. We were talking about what she might get when her now fairly old GR passing on. She would like something smaller than a GR or Lab but with a similar personality. I suggested a Toller, but I am only going by what I have met at dog trials & do not know them very well at all, so can the brains trust fill me in on the difference requirements etc. between Tollers & GR's...do they shed as badly as a GR?? She lives in suburbia (Sydney) with a big backyard & her present dog gets lots of attention, obedience training & walks. She is in love with my BC's but they are obviously not suited for her situation. I have introduced her to clicker training & she is pretty excited to try it on her old GR. when she gets back home :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is it exactly that your friend loves about Labs and Goldens? if its the happy go lucky "I love the world and everyone in it" personality she will NOT be happy with a Toller :laugh: Tollers are fun and goofy but that are 1 person dogs and reserved with strangers.

Edited by cali

I have a friend visiting that has always had either Golden Retrievers of Labradors & her current dog is a GR. We were talking about what she might get when her now fairly old GR passing on. She would like something smaller than a GR or Lab but with a similar personality. I suggested a Toller, but I am only going by what I have met at dog trials & do not know them very well at all, so can the brains trust fill me in on the difference requirements etc. between Tollers & GR's...do they shed as badly as a GR?? She lives in suburbia (Sydney) with a big backyard & her present dog gets lots of attention, obedience training & walks. She is in love with my BC's but they are obviously not suited for her situation. I have introduced her to clicker training & she is pretty excited to try it on her old GR. when she gets back home :)

I am a GR lover and they are just such special dogs, that's for sure. However, I do believe that a breed with a similar disposition is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are such loving and happy dogs, great with people and children, easy to manage and nowhere as big as a Golden. However, your friend, if they want to explore this breed, should be sure they purchase from a dedicated caring breeder who does all the health tests and breeds accordingly. Do lots of research!

Just wanted to say ... provided she has lots of time and is willing to spend a lot of time training a dog and being with it, there's no reason why she couldn't have a BC. Obviously not one of the high drive performance ones, but I find it a myth that BCs need lots of space. In my experience, (with over an acre) they really only want to be using the space if you're out there with them.

As far as Tollers go - might be worth PMin tollersowned or Ptolomy.

This is a great page giving you reasons not to get a Toller :laugh: Just informing people really.

http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/topten.htm

Tollers are pretty full on dogs!

7. The Scream - Many Tollers have a penetrating scream which they produce to indicate excitement and eagerness. To the uninitiated, this can sound like the dog is being fed into a wood chipper;

:eek::rofl:

I'm not sure what I'd do if my dog shrieked like that, I'm jumpy at the best of times :rofl:

This is a great page giving you reasons not to get a Toller :laugh: Just informing people really.

http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/topten.htm

Tollers are pretty full on dogs!

7. The Scream - Many Tollers have a penetrating scream which they produce to indicate excitement and eagerness. To the uninitiated, this can sound like the dog is being fed into a wood chipper;

:eek::rofl:

I'm not sure what I'd do if my dog shrieked like that, I'm jumpy at the best of times :rofl:

The worst is when they teach your 2 year old to do it and then sit on the bed and try to outscream each other. Our toller Bear taught the girlchild that little gem yesterday :laugh: they haven't stopped and I'm a bit twitchy now!

I've never had a GR so can't really compare, plus my toller is broken and doesn't seem to have the crazy 'needs to be occupied' gene, she's lazy as all hell and is happiest sleeping, preferably with the girlchild on top of her.

Agree with Cali too, they aren't the happy love everyone dogs that GRs are, they are reserved when they meet strangers but I've found with bear that she only has to meet someone once and then they become 'family'. Even if she doesn't see that person often. She has no reservations about kids, however kids drop food, and bear likes food :rofl: She is slow to warm to people but then climbs straight into their lap when she does :laugh:

Is the scream comparable to the Greyhound Scream Of Death (GSOD)?

This is a puppy. They get louder and more disturbing as they grow up. And my three are now looking under the computer desk for the source of the sound!

Ooooo yeah! I'm not even going to click on the link, I know the GSOD very well :eek:

Louis does this :grimace:

Is the scream comparable to the Greyhound Scream Of Death (GSOD)?

Generally produced after a mild stubbing of a toe :rofl:

They may look like smaller versions of Goldens but they are definately not. Tollers are more like BC's in terms of intelligence and exercise levels than Goldens plus they also come with a pretty high prey drive, so if your BC's aren't suited than neither are Tollers IMO.

Tollers are pretty reserved too (generally), two of mine will basically ignore other people. They are friendly but could really care less about people outside their family. My girl is becoming a bit more social as she is getting older, but with her dad I apologise to people in advance not to get offended. People will show him their hand to sniff or speak to him trying to get his attention and he will literally turn his head the other way and ignore them :laugh:

However with a very few select people, he is the most sweetest, lovable, daggiest dog ever :laugh:

They have a thick double coat, so everything I own (and eat and drink) now comes with complimentary red fur :)

Ohh yes the scream :laugh: Quite an interesting experience hearing it, fortunately mine only do it swimming and lure coursing but it does sound like I am killing them rather than them being extremely excited!

Edited by tollersowned

Well it definitely looks like the Toller is ruled out :laugh: I really don't think a BC would be suitable as my friend & her husband are disabled to the extent where anything more than a walk they couldn't handle. He is on a walking stick & she has her own physical problems. But they would have lots of time for training not involving anything much physical (for them) & that is why the GR suits them. Also they go away a fair bit & need to leave the dog with their daughter & young family. A shame a miniature GR does not exist :)

Mita hasn't appeared to mention Tibbies yet. So I'll throw their names in the ring. :laugh:

They sound like a lovely little dog but with a big dog personality. I believe Mita used to keep BC's prior to falling for the Tibbies.

Tollers are wonderful but it depends, I had one when I was younger and she was incredibly laid back and extremely loyal to me and no one else in my family.

I think it really depends on the situation, my Aussies are happy to lounge all day if it's raining or run run run if I let them. I'm a bit sad they aren't more insane like I was led to believe... :eek: Actually the boy is more destructive but the older one goes with the flow.

The few Brittany's I've met have been pretty intense...