The Problem With Fake Service Dogs

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw pics of Lewis Hamilton the f1 drivers bulldog in a first class cabin with an assistance dog harness on. Amazing what money can buy. Can't think of a single reason why a super fit young racing car driver would need an assistance dog. Fakers ruin it for genuine people. Just like dog law breaking owners ruin it for the law abiding ones

Quickasyoucan, he may have an anxiety disorder. It might be unlikely but you can't judge people from outside appearances. I know several people who have accredited assistance dogs due to severe anxiety or depression. Some have dogs that are trained to sense seizures or hypoglycemia.

Quickasyoucan, he may have an anxiety disorder. It might be unlikely but you can't judge people from outside appearances. I know several people who have accredited assistance dogs due to severe anxiety or depression. Some have dogs that are trained to sense seizures or hypoglycemia.

True !

I think there is a simpler answer - allow dogs to fly on some flights ie be more willing to accommodate - as they do in Europe.

I've seen children make more mess, destruction and misery than a well behaved dog and yet they're allowed to fly and stay in most hotels and resorts. And humans are a bigger health hazard to other humans than a clean dog is.

There are severe penalties for pretending to be a fake police officer, or doctor... They do need something similar for fake service dogs. But then the problem is how do you know. So I think the tests would have to be more about how well behaved the dog is in situations other dogs are not normally allowed - eg restaurants, screaming children, food at nose height, aggressive acting dogs (muzzled and safely restrained), running cats etc. A service dog that is fit to travel on a plane needs to be able to ignore all the normally irresistible doggy temptations...

Some get away with it because if asked to show proof their dog is a genuine service dog they start screaming about discrimination and privacy. They use the fact that you can't ask about a disability to get away with it. For the record I am all for service dogs, I just hate those who abuse the system to take their pets around with them.

we had a lady going around a few nursing homes portraying her dog to be a therapy dog...this causes lots of problems especially as the dog is not temperment tested....she has disappeared lately because I think the nursing homes realised she was not a part of the therapy dog team

we had a lady going around a few nursing homes portraying her dog to be a therapy dog...this causes lots of problems especially as the dog is not temperment tested....she has disappeared lately because I think the nursing homes realised she was not a part of the therapy dog team

I take my dogs up to nursing homes sometimes, but I made it quite clear to the DON that they were not certified and she was happy to meet them herself and watched me handle them and made sure they had all the health certs and allows me to visit. I hardly ever go up anymore though as I'm too busy. The old farmers love the kelpies.

I have no knowledge in this area and thankfully have no need for a service dog, so how does one (in Australia) go about getting one? Can you get a dog that you already have certified or does the dog need to come from an approved association?

I have no knowledge in this area and thankfully have no need for a service dog, so how does one (in Australia) go about getting one? Can you get a dog that you already have certified or does the dog need to come from an approved association?

You can do both, but I think it depends on the condition.

I looked into a seizure response dog, and when I first looked into it you had to go through an organisation and it could take years to even start the process, now I believe that you can train an existing dog and get it certified.

If my seizures ever start becoming uncontrollable again I will be looking into training either my current dog if he's still young enough or a new dog.

Edited by LisaCC