The Problem With Fake Service Dogs

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seizure RESPONSE dogs, respond to a seizure, they can be trained to stand guard over you, press emergency call buttons, drag you off the road etc if it's in a bad spot.

Can you imagine that happening with the person Kirislin mentioned. A physical impossibility! :laugh:

Riiiight. Now I get this! I just thought you were calling some poor person a fatty not that their dog was tiny. laugh.gif

I can see a lot of problems having certain assistant dogs being too small, especially a seizure response dog. Surely going to all that effort and money to raise, train and accredit the dog you would want one physically able to do everything possible. confused.gif

Seizure RESPONSE dogs, respond to a seizure, they can be trained to stand guard over you, press emergency call buttons, drag you off the road etc if it's in a bad spot.

Can you imagine that happening with the person Kirislin mentioned. A physical impossibility! :laugh:

Riiiight. Now I get this! I just thought you were calling some poor person a fatty not that their dog was tiny. laugh.gif

I can see a lot of problems having certain assistant dogs being too small, especially a seizure response dog. Surely going to all that effort and money to raise, train and accredit the dog you would want one physically able to do everything possible. confused.gif

He was a pet first, then he became an assistance dog. I doubt it cost her any money to train him, apparently it was just special talent she realised he had. :)

edit, seems I was wrong about the bolded bit. I've had a read of his website and she did train him. She says she's got 15 years experience training breeding and showing dogs. He's quite a high profile little dog, has his own website, facebook page, twitter account and youtube account.

Edited by Kirislin

There are a few tests dogs must pass before getting accredited as an assistance dog - like the Public Access test, etc...

It's not necessarily exhorbitantly expensive to train your own dog to be an assistance dog - and as long as the necessary access tests have been passed, I don't see anything wrong with people going the owner training route.

The waiting lists and time it can take to get an assistance dog through certain channels is prohibitive for many people - not to mention that in some cases, the group may tell someone that they "aren't disabled enough" to be considered by the agency at all.

I know someone with an assistance dog they trained themselves. This dog is the sole reason that person is alive today and living a relatively normal existence. The agencies considered this person "not disabled enough" to be helped by them... but thank dog there was a trainer who was willing to help train the dog to full assistance accreditation for this person. Without the dog, this person would most likely be confined to their house and familiar environments, or worse, dead from depressive illness (read suicide). The dog and the bond they share give this person a reason to get up and face the world every day, and be a part of it.

People who fake needing an assistance dog solely for their own purposes need their head read.

T.

I don't see any issue with owner/trainers either, what craps me off is those with dogs that are not accredited who take them into cafe's, demand seats in planes and scream blue murder when someone dare question them about their " fake" assistance dog.

It was a massive joke for this person to take what was not an accredited dog at the time to cafe's etc and laugh about it.

oh yeah she was a fatty and the dog was tiny

If that IG is the one I am thinking of it says he became an accredited assistance dog in 08. Is he certified at all or just a good imagination?

He is accredited

Then how is he a fake??

Same way you'd be a fake if you walked around with a seeing eye dog without having any vision issues.

Interesting take on the issue from Mr Milan

His point about poor behaviour from untrained dogs labelled as assistance dogs is a good one.

I tend to think that service or assistance dogs perform a function for their owners beyond simply existing.

We all get comfort, companionship and pleasure from our pets. That doesn't get them over the "assistance dog" bar in my eyes.

But this dog is accredited. You need a letter from your doctor as part of the process. You can't just do the public access test to get an assistance dog. You need proof of a disability. If I had mental issues that required an assistance dog I certainly wouldn't be giving details to every random . I don't know this person from a bar of soap. Maybe if she is as "psycho" as some are saying she does need one???

But this dog is accredited. You need a letter from your doctor as part of the process. You can't just do the public access test to get an assistance dog. You need proof of a disability. If I had mental issues that required an assistance dog I certainly wouldn't be giving details to every random . I don't know this person from a bar of soap. Maybe if she is as "psycho" as some are saying she does need one???

Megan, several years ago there was a woman on here who tried to pass off her Iggy as an assistance dog for all sorts of reasons. At that time the dog was not accredited. It was admitted the dog was not accredited. She used her story to prevent being kicked out of rental accommodation that did not permit dogs and she hadn't told them she had dogs (2 Iggy's). I think she was also trying to claim the 2nd dog was to comfort the 1st cause it was such a hard job.I think there was a stink about an airline not allowing at least one of her dogs in the cabin with her. Whether this is the same person now on FB I don't know but there was definitely a DOLer going around conning people with her so called assistance dog.

Any doctor who says they won't sign off on the disability paperwork she screams discrimination and threatens all sorts of things until she finds one that does. I've known her for years, it's all stuff you'd think was a fictional story but unfortunately it's true.

Any doctor who says they won't sign off on the disability paperwork she screams discrimination and threatens all sorts of things until she finds one that does. I've known her for years, it's all stuff you'd think was a fictional story but unfortunately it's true.

For all sorts of things as you say, not just medical/disability. She's now in subsidised [govt?] accommodation, can afford to pay for heaps of tattoos [unless that's subsidised by donations from the public too], has overseas and interstate holidays but then needs to cry poor and ask for donations to pay for her 'medical alert' dog to have new jumpers and pyjamas, and now a full dental done.

It sucks if you ask me, I wonder if I could get away with doing that too. :hitself: Perhaps I should go and see her doctor and see if I can get a certificate for one of my dogs! :mad