Growing Old

rusty&biscuit

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-14199-0-10201700-1391079386_thumb.jpeg

This is a pic of Nelsson just before christmas. He is now 14.5 :) I got a puppy 3 weeks ago and in the last couple of days, Nelsson chased (slowly) a kong :eek: Nelsson has never been a ball or anything chaser in the back yard. Would occasionally chase a stick on the beach. Then today, I was squatting down about to throw a rope toy for Evie and Nelsson grabbed it from behind when I put my arm back to throw it :rofl: He then grabbed it and had a chew a couple more times :D

Go Nelsson !!!! :walkdog::walkdog:

post-51366-0-43056500-1391137435_thumb.jpeg

This is my beautiful old Eddie, he was 14 and a half when we lost him last July, to old age.

post-51366-0-77299000-1391137457_thumb.jpg

This is my beautiful Maggie, she was just over 10 and we lost her to mast cell tumours in January of this year.

These two dogs were the love of my life and I miss them everyday, if only I could have one more hour.

post-51366-0-25996000-1391137569_thumb.jpg

In their heyday - always together.

I love everyone's photos and stories, I have laughed and cried my way through this thread :)

Edited by leec

The latest edition of Animal Sheltering arrived yesterday.

Naturally this thread came to mind when I read about a reveiw for a book called "Beautiful Old Dogs" by Garry Gross. "Ultimately, Garry wanted to make people see the beauty, dignity, and character of these senior dogs."

DD I have this book "Old dogs are the best dogs" that was a gift to me from a dear friend when I lost my old boy.

It is the most beautiful book.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/old-dogs-gene-weingarten/1112397975?ean=9781416534990

Napoleon is a youngster at 15.

I sure hope I can be posting as you are in 5 years time :thumbsup: . I tell people that Tamar is my puppy at 10.

He's gone a bit deaf which is a blessing because he was hopeless with guns, thunder and the mine blasts. laugh.gif

Thankyou for this thread. I have to admit, I've avoided it because the thought of losing my beloved whippets looms large now and it makes me sad.

It's prompted me to take some photos of Penny though. She is such a beautiful whippet who was very fit and healthy until about 12 years old, then started aging fast. Now she's about to turn 15 in May and is frail and tired, although she still chases that cheeky puppy Neko around when the mood strikes her.

12238903713_d0e7c78924_z.jpg

12239134934_f5465f0fa6_z.jpg

12238910873_29f8a8f072_z.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

thankyou both, yes she's a sweetheart, very clever, very soft and gentle although can still fire up on occasion. She was a keen racer and would have been a fierce hunter if she'd ever really had the chance. She was incredibly agile as a youngster too, could turn on a sixpence, she would have given those bunnies a run for their money.

This is my older girl Kayla. :heart: She's about 14yrs now. She is really slowing down lately and has a few health problems, but she is happy enough. Hoping for some cooler weather because the heat really knocks her around now.

post-21356-0-42772100-1391299510_thumb.jpg