Being Asked For A Pet Related Donation

110 members have voted

1. 1. How would you react being asked for a pet related donation while shopping?

• Politely decline or accept
    • Lecture on why I do/do not support the given charity
    • Accept or decline, but find somewhere else to shop
    • Decline or accept with annoyance
    • Other

Okay, so this is a topic I'd love for some DOL input on.

How do you react when shopping, you are asked for a donation after your purchase? For this example, a pet-related donation, while doing pet-related shopping.

For me, I just politely decline if I don't support the cause, or don't have the money. But to be honest I'm usually on the opposite end - I am the one asking for the donation on behalf of a work charity - and the range of responses I get still amaze me.

Not to start a huge RSPCA debate, but they are the ones where I get the most fired-up responses. I've been abused over asking for the donation. (Which I HAVE to ask for, am rated on, mystery shopped, warned if my overall total is too low etc) I've also had another staff member cop a full-scale rant while taking assistance dog program donations, about how it's all a moneymaking scam since people don't need assistance dogs...

Anyway, do you think it's appropriate to be asked? Do you get annoyed? Do you consider it a bit much to subject the donation asker to a lecture on why you do or no not support their cause?

Edit: Poll added for convenience :)

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about some sort of donation program that your workplace asks customers to contribute to?

To be honest if an establishment I frequented started doing that i'd find somewhere else to buy my pet supplies. But I also refuse to got to Coles when they have those annoying people in the car park who hassle you to buy their car cleaning products.

I give my money when I can afford it and to organisations I choose to give it to, i also give a lot of my time, I don't appreciate being railroaded in to donated to causes and having to feel 'guilty' if I refuse.

Anyway, do you think it's appropriate to be asked? Do you get annoyed? Do you consider it a bit much to subject the donation asker to a lecture on why you do or no not support their cause?

I think it's fine to be asked and I don't get annoyed. I would never subject the asker to a lecture - a polite yes or no (or in my case "Sure!" or "Not today, thank you though") is all that's required.

I don't think its appropriate. I have certain charities I give to on a regular basis, I don't need to be spruiked at when I'm shopping. I would politely just say no though, no rant :laugh: although RSPCA are not an organisation I would give money too and I know why some people really don't like them.

Edited by Dame Aussie

I tend to politely decline blatant asking for donations for ANY cause when I'm out and about - be that shopping or otherwise. The more persistent the asking, the firmer the "sorry, no" gets.

There have been occasions where the sheer persistence has garnered the asker a not so polite "eff off"... but they were badgering in the extreme and trying to force me into giving them something.

T.

I politely decline in almost all circumstances. I'd rather donate to charities through my employers workplace giving program (which dollar for dollar matches my donation and is done as salary sacrifice) or just volunteer my time to help the organisations I support.

Charities & asking for donations has gone over the top now in all fields that it truly puts you off & many of the staff asking are simply the rudest people out if you say no.

So many people do get scammed when donations are being asked so i get why people say that.

It comes down to these places making the public more aware that they exist without it being a money spinner at the same time .

When people can discuss a subject without there being strings attached its educational .

I loath shop booths asking for money & hate the fact that every corner you turn someone wants money & then you get bombarded with phone calls & donate once with your details & they never stop phoning

I just say "nope - not a fan of their 'work'" when asked to donate to the RSPCA by anyone...

T.

Me too. Petbarn staff tried to get me to donate to them at Christmas time, I politely said no but when they pushed I reminded them of the 2 other big pet supply stores not 2 minutes drive away that wouldn't roll their eyes at me.

Edited by Diva

1398682491[/url]' post='6472401']

I've always felt awkward when Pet Barn asks to donate to the RSPCA over Christmas. I find replying especially difficult when they ask if you'd like to use your $10 voucher for the donation because I feel like such a tightarse when I say no.

I say 'no' and politely tell them what a scum-bag of an organisation they are! biggrin.gif

1398682491[/url]' post='6472401']

I've always felt awkward when Pet Barn asks to donate to the RSPCA over Christmas. I find replying especially difficult when they ask if you'd like to use your $10 voucher for the donation because I feel like such a tightarse when I say no.

I say 'no' and politely tell them what a scum-bag of an organisation they are! biggrin.gif

Me to.

I am polite in my decline. I give money if and when I feel like it/want to.

I do realise that it is the persons job so that is why I am polite when I decline. However should someone push me or roll their eyes at me, then yes, I would tell them exactly what I thought of them/go elsewhere.

I have once or twice said, no I do not like their values, when asked why not as I am known as an animal person locally.

If I say no once and I am pushed I get very snappy very quickly, I only say no (or yes) once!

I never give money to anyone for any reason while shopping. It's bad enough that they don't leave you alone but the looks they give you after you've been shopping say to me that they think I'm selfish for spending my money on shopping and not giving them any.

I'm already looking for somewhere else to buy pet things from so I don't have to go to Petbarn. I will not support them while they are pandering to the RSPCA.

I go to PetBarn at Castle Hill (Sydney) and they have the donation boxes, I think, on the counters. I was asked once and I politely declined. I don't think we should vent at shop assistants, unless they are rude and imply we are mean and horrible. It is all about opening people's eyes and suggesting they look behind facades.

I think there needs to be an option other than the lecture one. Why not have an option: Decline and politely explain why.

Not everything needs to be confrontation. :(

I've done this at my local Petbarn. I was asked if I'd like to donate and when I said no everyone within earshot looked at me so I explained that I don't support the RSPCA as I don't agree with how they do many things. Not to mention that they have plenty of money and there are other groups that do a better job and need the money more.