Walking The Dog In The Rain

Stressmagnet

I walk in the rain unless it is torrential or thunderstorms. It my "me" time as well away from the kids :laugh:

:thumbsup: This is me to a tee :)

I bought a Hurtta raincoat thinking I would use it so I didn't have to worry about a wet undercoat, but so far I haven't taken it out of the pack but they are great quality breathable dog raincoats from what I can tell :) I have some gore tex walking shoes, and a good breathable waterproof hiking jacket for myself. Ronin's guard hairs shed a lot of the water. And I have a forced air blower that has a heat option so I can blow any water off him if needed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk in the rain unless it is torrential or thunderstorms. It my "me" time as well away from the kids :laugh:

I am the same as Kavik - his walk or leash free time is also 'me' time because it gets me out of the house as well.

He has no issue with running around in any sort of rainy weather - the wetter the better.

Stan doesn't do rain full stop, he wouldn't even go out for a wee for the whole of winter if it was physically possible. Maddie would go out in a cyclone it doesn't worry her. Luckily I don't need to entertain my two as being greyhounds they just sleep....a lot.

I walk the young kelpie regardless unless it is pouring. Have wet weather gear and use bike out on bike tracks outside my house.

even better in the wet as the kelpie can stay off lead and she loves!!!!! the bike.

I expet calm if no walk happens but we do play games inside.

Edited by skip

Stan doesn't do rain full stop, he wouldn't even go out for a wee for the whole of winter if it was physically possible. Maddie would go out in a cyclone it doesn't worry her. Luckily I don't need to entertain my two as being greyhounds they just sleep....a lot.

Stan!!! :coffeesplurk:

My dogs are taught that walks aren't the be all end all & all my large gundog pups are taught very early on that being calm & able to chill out is far more important than walking them to make them tired.

Reality is some times they can't be exercised the way the want to they have to learn that option B is just as important

:thumbsup: I would think the same sort of thing applies to Labs as to BCs - mental exercise can take the place of physical exercise if necessary, and is always beneficial as an addition to any physical exercise. All sorts of things can be taught indoors, in small spaces - physical tricks, nose work - all sorts - with you sitting in a chair or on the floor, for many of the things. If you haven't already, have a look at Emily Larlham's Kikopup channel on Youtube - lots of things there to give you ideas.

(I could get on my soapbox about people with BCs who think all they need to do is to give their dog lots of physical exercise "I run with him for hours ... but ...". My response - the one thing worse than a bored BC is a fit, bored BC. :D )

But seriously, Ernie will love spending time with you learning stuff, and his boy brain will get lovely and tired. :laugh:

Same here, but it's Fern who is the princess, Warrior will go out and do what has to be done and hopefully Phoebe will copy him, not Fern. And yep, sleep, sleep and more sleep, even the puppy :laugh:

I also live on acerage so don't bother walking my dogs but I exercise them daily (swimming, running etc) and train them every day as well.

Because I work for a dog training company with a big indoor training shed, I always have an undercover area to play with/train the dogs :D

Harry and Whitney are the same, they'd rather sleep than go out in the rain. If they are a bit restless, we play games for a while, but then they decide they've had enough.

I love walking in the rain. In fact I probably walk the dog further in the rain because it's great down the beach in the wild weather, and she loves it too.

But I think you need to put yourself first with the chemo. Your dog shouldn't mind missing the odd walk because of bad weather, so just throw some balls down the hallway or something :)

• 3 months later...

Bumping this old thread, because I'm wondering what everyone wears when they walk in the rain? Do you have a raincoat and a hat or hood, or an umbrella? I find my legs get saturated and it's hard to keep the hood of my raincoat up. Does your dog wear a raincoat?

I wear gumboots (nice ones that look more like actual boots) jeans and a waterproof Royal Canin jacket I practically live in during winter for shows, it stays up really well.

The samoyeds don't wear anything, they get too hot.

No umbrella. With 2 dogs no spare hands for brollys. I wear a water proof hooded spray jacket & base ball cap to keep rain off my glasses. Well fitted gum boots.

I have Hurtta rain jackets for our dogs when the weather is really bad.

Edited by BC Crazy

I have an old waterproof horse riding jacking, a baseball cap (to keep the rain off my face), yoga pants and short (ankle high) gumboots that have a cotton ribbed bit to keep my feet dry. If it's super freezing the scarf and a puffer vest under the jacket ;)

Love walking the dog in the rain, I find it even more refreshing than other times - somehow easier to let my mind wander and daydream :)

We wear waterproof jackets with hoods. The dogs wear a rain jacket only if it's cold as they get too hot.

If it's poruing we don't walk as the dogs hate it and there is nothing more annoying than having to drag a dog along.

I should have added my dogs seem to enjoy walking in the rain too...no coats in general as they get to run on muddy paths and get filthy. I have used a coat on occasion for Zig when it has been bitterly cold. I take it off for his free running part and just have it on for the on leash walk. Em is so busy darting this way and that way after bird life that she doesn't need any help keeping warm.

I have a froggs toggs jacket, no fill but waterproof for warmer days and an ugly but useful fluro waterproof coat with hood and lower face cover, very warm and practical, especially if I need finding! I have black waterproof pants by froggs toggs............somehwere.................