Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

Coming into this a little late but while I never ask for photo's I can see why she might want to be sure the person she is talking to is actually the person that turns up. And they can do that by checking the drivers license photo also matches. Some breeders have been burnt badly.

again, INTERSTATE breeder!

Being interstate should be more reason to offer up a photo of yourself though.

well yes I read that further on but my reasoning could also help others who are reading this thread

I think most breeders would want their buyer to be 100% committed to their breed too. Not still tossing up between chi, sheltie or JP.

And if Perfume - actually contacted a few breeders for her chosen breed (could she please make a decision and stick with it), she might find out about a litter of puppies born or planned that never make it to the DOL pages or any other internet ad.

Why should she limit herself to one breed???

When we were looking for our last dog we were looking at Brittany's, Aussies, tollers and border collies at the same time. We chose an Aussie in the end due to being able to meet the breeder and her dogs and a puppy being available. But it could have easily gone another way. Our dog was a great dog and had a happy long life with us.

• Like 1

I waited over 3 years for my pup-till they had a litter.

I filled in an extensive questionaire and spoke every few months on the phone with them and via email. I know they googled all properties of applicants.

This year when pups were born I went interstate to stay with them for 3 days. I had a wonderful time with all their dogs and pups.

Even after this I had to indicate which pups I was interested in. They said there was no guarantees. They would have the ultimate say. I contacted other breeders to see if this was normal and they said yes and to be patient.

Finally after 8 weeks of torture and the longest 8 weeks of my life they told me which pup would be mine. He was then flown to me.

These breeders could have charged me more or sold him to other breeders or kept him to breed. Instead they honoured their promise from 3 years earlier.

I am in contact with them and speak to the and email regularly. I have a lifetime of help and I know if something terrible happened to me they would always take him back. They are exceptional and that is piece of mind for me also. Well worth the wait :)

Edited by MelissaS

I think most breeders would want their buyer to be 100% committed to their breed too. Not still tossing up between chi, sheltie or JP.

And if Perfume - actually contacted a few breeders for her chosen breed (could she please make a decision and stick with it), she might find out about a litter of puppies born or planned that never make it to the DOL pages or any other internet ad.

I've had experience with Chihuahuas (having owned one) and with Shelties. I've done a humongous amount of research on the JP (not to mention, advice from Members of this forum) so have a very clear idea on the temperament of the JP. I love the look of all three and realise only too well that all three differ in temperament but, having said that, I can manage with all 3 temperaments. After much thought, my first choice is the Chihuahua BUT I've come to the conclusion that I may never obtain the type of Chihuahua I'm after as breeders keep that type for themselves or sell it amongst themselves. The same applies to Shelties….hence why I've kept an open mind and looked at all 3 breeds just in case I do find the type I'm after. I may end up with 2 of my favourite breeds, time will tell.

After much thought,, my first choice is the Chihuahua BUT I've come to the conclusion that I may never obtain the type of Chihuahua I'm after as breeders keep that type for themselves or sell it amongst themselves.

Breeders - sell it amongst themselves? What do you mean by that? And maybe you could get yourself included in their "in crowd" by actually having some face to face meetings and being MORE PATIENT.

And how would you feel if you were told that you were "second choice" or 10th choice and therefore miss out on a puppy... I understand you can love all three breeds - but it also (from out here reading your posts) makes you seem a bit indecisive.

And breeders get burnt by indecisive buyers every day - because they "maybe I'd like that puppy, I'll have to think about it" - indecisive and then they change their minds. Some of these tyre kickers never even let the breeder know they've changed their mind about where they're getting their puppy. Can you see how what you've written in here - can make you look like one of those people?

After much thought,, my first choice is the Chihuahua BUT I've come to the conclusion that I may never obtain the type of Chihuahua I'm after as breeders keep that type for themselves or sell it amongst themselves.

Breeders - sell it amongst themselves? What do you mean by that? And maybe you could get yourself included in their "in crowd" by actually having some face to face meetings and being MORE PATIENT.

And how would you feel if you were told that you were "second choice" or 10th choice and therefore miss out on a puppy... I understand you can love all three breeds - but it also (from out here reading your posts) makes you seem a bit indecisive.

And breeders get burnt by indecisive buyers every day - because they "maybe I'd like that puppy, I'll have to think about it" - indecisive and then they change their minds. Some of these tyre kickers never even let the breeder know they've changed their mind about where they're getting their puppy. Can you see how what you've written in here - can make you look like one of those people?

I am by far an "indecisive" buyer, as I said dozens of times already; all 3 breeds would suit me to a T but I am not prepared to just purchase any Chihuahua or just any Sheltie, I am after a particular look and if I were to obtain that look, I would be more than happy. I like to spend time, on the phone, with a breeder and detail exactly what it is I am looking for. For example, I do not want a Chihuahua with an overshot or undershot bite, I don't want the "Deer" type Chihuahua, I want an apple head with a shortish nose as opposed to a long, pointy snout. In regards to the Sheltie, I would like one with a full collar and even facial markings as I prefer symmetrical markings. I would like a friendly, approachable Sheltie as opposed to being timid and/or nervous. I have spoken to several Chihuahua breeders and without fail they ALWAYS keep those pups for themselves or sell to another breeder they know…and I'm not making invalid assumptions, I am being told as much. The same can be said of Sheltie breeders. Another issue is that I do NOT want a young pup that has already been desexed. My vet highly discourages it. Basically, I've kept an open mind in that if my pup of choice was to present itself, be it a Chihuahua or a Sheltie I would purchase it. I don't see a problem with that. I would love each of these breeds equally.

I am by far an "indecisive" buyer, as I said dozens of times already; all 3 breeds would suit me to a T but I am not prepared to just purchase any Chihuahua or just any Sheltie, I am after a particular look and if I were to obtain that look, I would be more than happy. I like to spend time, on the phone, with a breeder and detail exactly what it is I am looking for. For example, I do not want a Chihuahua with an overshot or undershot bite, I don't want the "Deer" type Chihuahua, I want an apple head with a shortish nose as opposed to a long, pointy snout. In regards to the Sheltie, I would like one with a full collar and even facial markings as I prefer symmetrical markings. I would like a friendly, approachable Sheltie as opposed to being timid and/or nervous. I have spoken to several Chihuahua breeders and without fail they ALWAYS keep those pups for themselves or sell to another breeder they know…and I'm not making invalid assumptions, I am being told as much. The same can be said of Sheltie breeders. Another issue is that I do NOT want a young pup that has already been desexed. My vet highly discourages it. Basically, I've kept an open mind in that if my pup of choice was to present itself, be it a Chihuahua or a Sheltie I would purchase it. I don't see a problem with that. I would love each of these breeds equally.

The is my first interaction in this post, but the problem I see is that you going on looks of the proposed pup and I feel this is misguided. Temperament and health issues are the most important. I have bought puppies from breeders over the years and if the litter has more than one colour I am asked my preference. My answer was that I prefer such and such, but if this was unavailable or unsuitable for our family, I would be happy with any colour. Most times the breeder has matched up our puppy for us and we couldn't have been more pleased as all have had absolutely wonderful temperaments considering I have grandchildren, which is of the utmost importance.

I can understand the chi as its conformation you are after, but what you are describing in a sheltie is pure coat colour. If you are 100% on those markings you need to be prepared to wait for a pup that not only looks like that but actually suits you temperament wise.

As others have said multiple times, I suggest you go meet breeders at a show or trial in person and build a relationship and WAIT for a litter. The better relationship the more likely you might be to get the dog you are after, especially as by what you are saying the looks you want are normally kept for show/breeding.

I had to wait 3 years for my Keeshond and over a year for my JS. ,both being uncommon breeds.Ultimately ,I think when buying we must respect the breeders right to sell their pup to whoever they think is the best for puppy.I certainly would if I was a breeder.I think it would be so sad if breeders decided not to sell overseas or Interstate .,I notice in DOL several breeders are already saying that.It is obviously in the buyers interest to be as cooperative as possible ,and in most cases an excellent relationship develops as pup grows.

All of my dogs have come to me after a relationship has developed. I once ended up getting a pup out of a litter when I was expecting I wouldn't be able to get one until a next litter. However I had already been in contact with that breeder for a good 6 months prior to that litter being born. None of my dogs have been bought from an existing litter. Some have been planned and agreed to up to a year before birth ( obviously they went as planned ).

I have little experience with breeders other than being on the waiting list for a breed/litter that wasn't meant to be but here's my two cents.

I guess if the certain look of Chihuahua you are after is as hard to get your hands on as it sounds then your best bet will probably be to find a breeder whose dogs you really like and have the right type popping up every now and then. Build up a relationship and trust and I assume you will probably have breeders more willing to give you a pup that suits your desires. I wouldn't really blame breeders for retaining the type you're after rather than sell it to someone who pops up at the last minute and they have no rapport with. Also if they're so highly sort after I don't imagine many would make it past being a few weeks old without having a home waiting. And if you don't want an already desexed pup again your chances of having a breeder trust you enough to desex on your own accord is going to be a lot more likely when you've gotten to know them and have spent time committed to owning one of their dogs.

With the Sheltie I think you'll probably have to decide whether you want a puppy now or are prepared to wait potentially years for the exact colouring you're after with an equally good temp and health. If you want a puppy now you'll probably just have to go with something not completely perfect colour wise. In a few years time I'm sure you will be more upset if your pup has a temp/health problem than whether or not it has symmetrical facial markings.

I don't think the breeder was going too over the top considering they don't know you from a bar of soap and have to make a quick decision about whether you should have the pup as a opposed to weeks/months/years of building relationship and trust that they would normally have with puppy buyers. To adopt my puppy from a rescue group I had to fill out a lengthy application form about me/my family/my life/capabilities as a dog owner. I then had to have my landlord verify permission. I then had to have the foster carer decided whether I could even come meet the pups. The litter was split into two groups due to mum having mastitis. The carer for one of the groups decided she didn't even want to meet me because I was young and therefore most likely irresponsible but other foster carer was more than happy for me to come out. They would only adopt out if new owners came to meet pup and lived at the very least in the same state. I then had to have someone come and check that my yard and house was secure. Was it invasive and time consuming? Yes. But the rescue had the peace of mind knowing the puppies they had spent so much energy, time and money raising had gone to the best home possible and so I can't really blame them and it filled me with confidence knowing they cared so much. If I couldn't have met the pups or the carer and nobody could come check my yard I'd still be more than happy to provide them with all that info, even if through pictures.

Why not just send them the photos and info they want if you really want the puppy? It really is not that big of a deal in my opinion. If you want the puppy then you need to abide by their rules.

Somewhere along the line you are going to have to either make compromises in what you are after or be prepared to develop a relationship and wait a long time.

Edited by Yonjuro

With all due respect but enough already. I'm not arguing the issue of the breeder's attitude any longer. I've had several dogs from Registered Breeders before and none asked me any type of question so you can understand my initial surprise especially when she requested a photo of myself and of the inside of my house; you've all had your say about that and I get where you're coming from but I tend to agree with other posters, i.e. sending such photos proves nothing ultimately for the reasons stipulated by other posters. I offered to friend her on Facebook, there's plenty of entertainment on there, lol. No skeletons in this closet :D

Edited for spelling mistake.

Edited by Perfume

I've had experience with Chihuahuas (having owned one) and with Shelties. I've done a humongous amount of research on the JP (not to mention, advice from Members of this forum) so have a very clear idea on the temperament of the JP. I love the look of all three and realise only too well that all three differ in temperament but, having said that, I can manage with all 3 temperaments. After much thought, my first choice is the Chihuahua BUT I've come to the conclusion that I may never obtain the type of Chihuahua I'm after as breeders keep that type for themselves or sell it amongst themselves. The same applies to Shelties….hence why I've kept an open mind and looked at all 3 breeds just in case I do find the type I'm after. I may end up with 2 of my favourite breeds, time will tell.

Perfume, just wanted to say that I'm another one that has several breeds in mind, I love all dogs, (I've had a Tenterfield Terrier, Kelpie x, Lab x, 5th generation Mastiff cross Ridgeback, my BF has had a German Shepard, German Short Haired Pointer x 3) and there are characteristics within all the breeds I've narrowed my search down to that I love, there are also things I want the dog to have that is more of a temperament choice rather than a breed choice although it does play some part.

I'm not a single breed lover and I don't expect to be judged for that and not offered a puppy due to not being a diehard x lover and that's all I'll have my whole life, that's just not reality for me.

I don't have human children and never will, my dogs have always been extremely important to me and for the most part come everywhere with me, I've always done puppy school and then obedience at dog clubs, I hope to extend that to agility with my next dog.

Don't accept things that you find uncomfortable, find someone that is as comfortable with you as you are with them, it may mean that your puppy might not appear right now but they will appear sooner or later, don't give up and ignore the people that feel they have a right to tell you to suck it up or don't get a puppy!

Are you wanting a living dog or a stature?

:cry:

When you got involved with your husband (providing you are married), did you not have chemistry or an attraction? Do you not have a type or will anyone do? Let's be realistic here but we all have our own personal preferences so shoot me if a long nosed chihuahua does nothing for me :bottom:

I've tried to read the whole thread, so apologies if this was already answered, but are you prepared to wait?

I was facebook friends with my younger dogs breeder for a year before I noticed that she was having a litter with my older dog's sister and I let her know of my interest. I was not guaranteed a pup, but she knew what I wanted (I had a specific look and colour in mind, for showing) and because she knew me, saw what I did with my older dog and happily sold me a pup. This pup suits us perfectly.

When I first looked for a dalmatian I actually emailed a breeder just to let her know that I was interested, she had no pups at the time. 3, nearly 4 years down the track and she's a good friend and my breed mentor. Just from talking, I never ended up buying a pup from her! But she knows other breeders, and that has opened doors!