What Would You Think Of A Vet Who Said This?

Loving my Oldies

I was out walking the dogs today and bumped into neighbours. Chatting away and I was updating them about Danny saying he'd refused BBQ chicken yesterday and lightly fried chicken strips today. I commented that BBQ chicken was generally the fall back food for sick dogs.

The man said that his vet told him that if a dog refuses BBQ chicken, go home and dig a hole.

:eek::eek:

I don't know if a vet said that or not but I know your neighbour who said it to you should have kept his mouth shut. His comments were unkind and uncalled for. Tactless much!

I very much doubt my vet would say that to any dog owner who was consulting with him but he would discuss and perhaps advise having the dog PTS if he thought it was the kindest thing for the dog.

How rude of your neighbour (whether a vet said it or not - that was a horrible thing to say)

It isn't true either - Ollie dog refused BBQ many times when he was sick. The only thing that I could get him to keep down when he was really sick was an Arnotts Milk Arrowroot biscuit.

BBQ is often greasy and not nice in tummy's that are already unwell.

I could imagine a lot of vets I've had saying it, but not in the context that your neighbour did!

For example if I said my dog would sell her soul for BBQ chicken. I think if said in the right manner and with a chuckle, it could be an appropriate comment back.

To be perfectly honest, many people don't hear what their told, partly hear or pick out what they want to hear at the vets.

I highly doubt it was said like that. I have been in with vet and client whilst they have been told stuff, then been there when they have been chatting to friends family about said vet visit and what they relay is quite often nothing like what they were told!!!

Your neighbour is tactless.

People often hear what they like in consultations - many times I have seen someone for a consult many months after the last time I saw them and they will recount what 'the last vet' said. In many cases I remember the encounter and between that and my clinical notes it is clear that our recollections of some situations are vastly different.

Maybe what the neighbour was trying to say is the dog is very very sick. Ie close to death.

Unfortunately when you're all stressed out because your dog is close to death... jokes on the subject or even a misguided show of concern don't go down well.

My brother said his dog would not work for food. Not even roast chicken. I didn't believe him... I have found out that

1. the dog will work / learn based on attention and pats... you don't even need food at all but

2. he loves dried roo... and will do anything you ask for the possibility of bits of dried roo...

Ollie dog refused BBQ many times when he was sick. The only thing that I could get him to keep down when he was really sick was an Arnotts Milk Arrowroot biscuit.
On my shopping list Staffyluv. The only biscuits I have in the house are Vita Wheat and Peckish Rice Crackers so guess what Danny's late night supper was.

To be honest, I didn't see it like that at the time. In fact, I think he would be horrified to think he had been tactless or had caused offence.

I also suspect that your neighbour did not mean any offense by his comment.

Yes, I didn't think for a moment he did either.

Next time I see him I will investigate the vet's remark further.

Ollie dog refused BBQ many times when he was sick. The only thing that I could get him to keep down when he was really sick was an Arnotts Milk Arrowroot biscuit.
On my shopping list Staffyluv. The only biscuits I have in the house are Vita Wheat and Peckish Rice Crackers so guess what Danny's late night supper was.

To be honest, I didn't see it like that at the time. In fact, I think he would be horrified to think he had been tactless or had caused offence.

I also suspect that your neighbour did not mean any offense by his comment.

Yes, I didn't think for a moment he did either.

Next time I see him I will investigate the vet's remark further.

I probably wouldn't bother investigating the vet's remark further, I don't think it's a scientific diagnosis that turning down BBQ chook means anything! You know Danny better than anyone else, neighbour or vet. He's taking his meds and whatever you can get him to eat is good. Try Milk Arrowroots maybe with yogurt and honey to get something into him :hug:

Edited by Simply Grand

I was out walking the dogs today and bumped into neighbours. Chatting away and I was updating them about Danny saying he'd refused BBQ chicken yesterday and lightly fried chicken strips today. I commented that BBQ chicken was generally the fall back food for sick dogs.

The man said that his vet told him that if a dog refuses BBQ chicken, go home and dig a hole.

:eek::eek:

Do you know I have a vague memory of a myth that went around years ago where a Vet was quoted as making this totally assine remark.

Tact is not a strong point with many males as you know DDD. Silly man.

:(

Oh , gosh - it was a throwaway comment - possibly part of a remark made between an older vet & client who knew each other well enough - (and such things DO get said , believe me ...just not inappropriately) .

Certainly the neighbour would have been wiser to have not passed it on to someone sensitive .

Not sure why you want to 'investigate further' though - what on earth would that gain you ? You have enough battles of your own ..... :(:hug:

What would I think of the vet ? That would depend a lot on what our relationship was like , how he was at treating my animals - and how he normally addressed problems .

Edited by persephone

The neighbour was rather tactless with his comment, but I think you really need the context in which the statement was originally made. For example, we have an elderly cat that we always think is going to die but somehow still keeps soldiering on. We joke around with our vet about him dying all the time because we have rushed him there so many times when he's been on death's door.

I personally wouldn't be offended if any of our vets told us what was said in the OP, but based on our interactions with our vets, it would very likely have been said completely in jest.

I wouldn't think anything either way about the vet, it was one comment passed on by a third person. I have had vets say much more tactless things to my face, but I would rather tactless and competent than a great way with words but poor skills.