Some People Never Learn!

Aleksandra 157

So sad when I read this morning that a Border Collie died after being left locked in the car for hours ,while owner "forgot him" while visiting his mates .This happened not far from where I live .SPCA have been called out 5 times in 4 days to break into cars ,left in heat .Sad ,some people never learn.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the owner of the deceased dog was formally charged with animal cruelty and has to face court. What an agonising way for that poor dog to lose its life.

If the SPCA is called out to rescue animals left in cars in hot weather, every owner who is guilty of being so neglectful should cop a hefty fine. A considerable fine or jail term if it's not paid by the due date would serve to jog the memory of any idiot enough to prevent them from doing it again.

OMG... :mad

This makes me sick to the stomach. What is wrong with people. How does anyone 'FORGET' about their dog locked in the car. More importantly what is the dog doing left in the car in the bloody first place :mad

What an absolutely horrific, painfully slow, torturous way to die... poor dog... :angel:

This A hole should get the book thrown at him & charged for animal cruelty. What a pathetic waste of oxygen he'd be :mad

I am super paranoid about my dog being in the car - but I do take risks - eg when I'm unloading the car - I have a choice to leave her in the remnant AC - and she resists being asked to get out... while I unload or argue with her and take her out. Then I have to keep the front door shut and unlock it while I get all the stuff out... Or tie her to a verahandah post which can be hotter than the car is...

But I risk leaving her in the car.

this happened to a farmer cousin - the door blew shut on a car with a dog in it. he didn't know the dog was in the car, but she was pretty obsessive about car rides.

And he was mortified when he found her. The whole family was extremely upset - we still can't talk about it (6 years later).

It's possibly worse in this situation where the guy left her and went with his mates - maybe he thought he would only be a few minutes and got distracted. This is a risk I take every time I unload the car and leave the dog in it.

What I do get angry about is people who leave their dog in the car in the full sun to go shopping. sometimes where there are under shelter car parks available - because they will only be 5 minutes. ARGH. And then they argue with you.

I have one of those devices that breaks car windows that lives on the cargo barrier in the back of my car... I'd be calling the police and asking permission to break the window... But usually if you've gathered a bit of a crowd around the car - the owner feels the pressure and does the right thing (like leaving).

I know of at least one dog that had snuck into a ute and hidden and the owner didn't know. He went back to the car after half an hour and the dog was in a very bad way. He raced to use after soaking her to try and get her temp down and he was totally distraught. I still have tears remembering that day.

Accidents can happen.

OSS, that is such a sad story ????

A very unfortunate accident. Poor dog :(

I have nothing but sympathy for the owner in that instance. Unlike the brainless dog owner in this thread who knew full well his dog was locked in his obviously deadly hot car.

Edited by BC Crazy

My dog wants to go out and sunbake (43'C).

I'm setting a 2 minute limit. She looks grumpy about it.

Mine is a sunbaker too, crazy thing. Though she always seems a bit relieved when I put my foot down and call her in after a while.

Slightly worried about how hot it is getting here, forecast to be in the 40s tomorrow. Was going to take Breeze for a swim but now I am worried about the drive to the pool in the car in the heat............ not sure how my little car's AC will cope.

Can't believe how people can be stupid enough to leave children or dogs in a car even for a minute in these sort of temperatures...

Mine can only go out under the veranda to do their business [no sun for them], then it's back inside with the AC. Even then have to check first as with the heat, generally get snakes under there seeking respite.

Pretty much all through summer the dogs don't go for any car rides, not worth the risk for me [even stays rather hot at night].

My guys live outside pretty much all the time -- except when I sneak them inside. Both are very adept at finding lovely cool spots to hide in and I'm often watering under the scrub before sunrise as they love the cool damp earth. They also have free access to a swimming/wading pool and ice bricks.

I've tried bringing them inside into the air-con but after about 30 minutes, they want outside again. :/

I'm happy for my dogs to go outside if that's what they want to do. There's wading pools although Tag's the only one who goes in them, but if they want to lay in the sun they can. If they want to crawl under a bush and lay on the dampened ground they can.

As a kid we had outside dogs and I dont recall us being worried about them in the heat, and none ever got heat stroke. I even remember watching our cats panting. I wont take them in the car now unless they come into any place I'm going in this weather though. I have to go out tomorrow and I'm taking all the dogs. I wouldn't leave them at home unattended in this weather. I'm quite anxious about it.

I pity the poor dog in the OP. what a horrible way to die.

That is so sad ,OsoSwift ,Yes accidents do happen the poor owner would be distraught.The dog in the news here was left for over 4 hours in the car with windows all up .I live in a area where people come from many cooler places for the heat and sun. for their holidays .It really is a huge problem here . I got a rego no announced over the supermarket loudspeaker after I saw a small dog in distress just last week.

So horrible :( I just leave my engine running with air con on if I have a dog in the car. Luckily if I'm in town with a dog it's a small town (600 people) & it's fairly normal to leave cars running biggrin.gif obviously I wouldn't do it in any unfamiliar town.

I find summer slightly stressful, the number of times our power goes off makes it impossible to leave a dog at home in case it turns off (because the house instantly gets hot), yet leaving them outside means there could be snakes (I'm pretty paranoid). So I try to make OH take the dog to work with him (on the farm) when possible. Luckily I only work 2.5 days a week or it would be a lot more stressful!

This time last year I would have been reacting the same way you all are. But if he genuinely forgot about his dog, then I feel very sorry for him. I had a horrific accident last year where I left a basket of possums in my car, and I have been haunted by it ever since. My routine changed and I just forgot to bring them in from the car. It was the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me. People have done similar things with their babies - baby falls asleep, parent forgets baby is there... I will never forgive myself and I'll never get over it. Every time I take my animals in the car I worry and have flash backs.

I know there are morons who think it's fine to leave their dog in the car 'for 10 minutes'. But there are also genuine accidents and this sounds like it may have been just that. RIP poor dog.