Trouble Getting A Pup On Mains (Poodle)

ccb

I've grown up with poodles and had one of my own (miniature). I'm really interested in becoming a registered and respected breeder. I'm a member of DogsNSW and would like to take the exam and get my prefix when I can in 12 months. I've spoken to 10+ breeders about getting a pup and they are all happy to match me with a pup - until I mention that I would like her on the main register, then they say they can't help me.

I could understand them being put off by the thought of backyard breeders ect. But I'm doing it the right way by becoming registered and not just breeding for a buck or anything. How is anyone new supposed start breeding? Any input appreciated.

It is terribly difficult. Wait until you have your breeders prefix & are registered before you try to buy.

Another way is to offer to take the pup on co ownership with a contract however you must ensure that the conditions seem fair to you & are acceptable as contracts are very variable both in expectations & financially. Good luck.

I'd be thinking that some (maybe quite a few) Poodle breeders might be a little leery of an unknown person wanting a mains registered bitch with a view to breeding. And with the high incidence of poodle crosses out in the market, one can probably understand why they may be a bit precious about supplying same, yes?

If you are really wanting to become a registered Poodle breeder, maybe doing some groundwork might be in order... go to some shows, get to know breeders/exhibitors personally, make yourself known to them... then maybe someone will want to mentor you into the world of breeding top quality poodles.

It's not as simple as getting a prefix and a couple of mains registered dogs and putting them together... it's going to take a fair bit of effort on your part long before you even look at getting to that point.

T.

Do you show? I imagine a breeder of Poodles would want to be sure you could handle the coat before they'd talk to you about breeding. A poodle in show coat is hard work!

You'd need a main registered dog to show though, even in the neutered division.

I'd suggest getting to know a few breeders whose lines you like. Tell them you plans but don't ask for a pup yet. Help then groom and handle their dogs and show them that you're serious. After a year or two of building relationships and showing that this isn't a passing interest , I'm sure it would be a lot easier.

Become involved in the breed, join the Poodle Club and become known to people, show an interest in learning about the different lines of the breed and of the medical history and issues and how to deal with those. In essence earn your stripes.

It is always a bit of a put off to breeders when someone new comes into a breed and the first thing they want to do is get a breeder's prefix. You need to be a member of DogsNSW for at least 12 months before you can do that anyway so use that time to do your homework and as already suggested talk to breeders about co-ownership to start. But make sure the terms of that co-ownership are well spelt out.

Just because your sitting the exam doesn't mean you wont be a BYB breeder.

The fact that all you have mentioned here is breeding would be a no sale here as well .

As any breeder knows there is no guarantee your first dog should even be breed from ,main papers doesn't mean it turns into a dog suitable for breeding.

From what you have written here it sounds like you need to go back step 1 ,breeding is a whole other project .

If your plan is to breed then you need to research the lines you like,the style of dog you feel meets the standard best,breeders that health test & so much more .

I will add some of the worse BYB in my breed are registered

Just because your sitting the exam doesn't mean you wont be a BYB breeder.

The fact that all you have mentioned here is breeding would be a no sale here as well .

It's all I have mentioned here because I'm not talking directly to a breeder I am interested in.. If I was just looking to pump out puppies for the fun of it, why would I bother becoming registered and finding a suitable dog on mains?

As any breeder knows there is no guarantee your first dog should even be breed from ,main papers doesn't mean it turns into a dog suitable for breeding.

Well that's obvious

If your plan is to breed then you need to research the lines you like,the style of dog you feel meets the standard best,breeders that health test & so much more .

I have done this. That would be the breeders I have spoken to.

Do you show? I imagine a breeder of Poodles would want to be sure you could handle the coat before they'd talk to you about breeding. A poodle in show coat is hard work!

I can't show without a dog.. I would love to show, and I have made this clear to breeders I have spoken to - I have some experience with grooming miniatures.

Before i would even contemplate breeding the bitch I would show to measure up against the best of the breed and whether she would be suitable to breed from.

Does anyone think it would be worth approaching a breeder with lines I like for a show quality dog on limited and requesting a transfer to mains once I am registered and know that the dog is a good example of its breed/passed health tests/worth being bred from ect?

You can try that approach, but it may not impress. You are more likely to succeed by suggesting co-ownership with the breeder and campaigning the dog or bitch extensively before considering breeding.

Tell them you are looking for a show dog and might be interested in breeding some years down the track once you are an experienced exhibitor. The only way you are going to earn that trust, in a breed which is rife with BYBers and cross breeders, is as has already been said to demonstrate commitment over time.

You have already researched the breeders with the lines you are interested in, find out the shows they will be attending and be there as well. Someone who turns up week after week to shows will become known to those breeders as someone worthy of consideration, and joining the breed club in your state and attending their meetings and functions won't hurt either (just beware of factions within the club, sigh.)

Be prepared for your first offer of a show quality specimen to be on breeder's terms, which can entail a lot of things, learn the pitfalls there also.

Might be better to not mention breeding at all but say you want to show. You will probably have to get a pup on co-ownership. In a couple of years time if the bitch is nice then you can think about breeding. You are sort of putting the cart before the horse a bit asking for a puppy to breed with.

I've got 2 bitches on mains register and wouldn't breed with either of them.

Edited by JulesP

I've grown up with poodles and had one of my own (miniature). I'm really interested in becoming a registered and respected breeder. I'm a member of DogsNSW and would like to take the exam and get my prefix when I can in 12 months. I've spoken to 10+ breeders about getting a pup and they are all happy to match me with a pup - until I mention that I would like her on the main register, then they say they can't help me.

I could understand them being put off by the thought of backyard breeders ect. But I'm doing it the right way by becoming registered and not just breeding for a buck or anything. How is anyone new supposed start breeding? Any input appreciated.

I imagine cause you are saying you want to breed as quick as possible. That would make most people very wary and poodles are exploited enough already. What do you say besides you want to breed within 12 months? Do you talk about showing, health tests etc?

Does anyone think it would be worth approaching a breeder with lines I like for a show quality dog on limited and requesting a transfer to mains once I am registered and know that the dog is a good example of its breed/passed health tests/worth being bred from ect?

No

Get a male in co-ownership. It is the only way a newcomer would get one off me unless they are known to me. Once they have proven they are serious about showing rather than just breeding I might consider a bitch

x2

Get a dog on joint ownership.

Prove you are in for the long haul.

Present and show that dog to the very best of your ability.

Build a relationship with a breeder.

If you prove yourself to be genuine and dedicated you will be surprised by the good things that happen.

It's not all that easy for someone who has been in a breed for a long time to get a bitch worth breeding from in some breeds - they're certainly not going to get handed out to a new-comer who might just find it's all too hard to keep up the coat-care required in such a difficult breed, so drop out. That sounds harsh, but it is the reality most breeders have learned over the years.

Forget about getting a prefix for now, that's not only putting the cart before the horse, it's putting the cart in another post code to the horse.

Even if you got a show quality/breeding quality bitch puppy tomorrow, you wouldn't be breeding from her for at least 2 years, so what's the rush?

serve your apprenticeship first.

This is true and good, succinct advice.

Build relationships, show that you are in it for the long haul. A dog that can be shown and potentially bred is precious to a breeder, and they want to make sure it's going to a worthy home where it will not only be loved dearly but hopefully a home where it's potential can be shown.

In my case, a really decent breed FB group helped me build those relationships - being in regional NSW there wasn't much chance of me meeting people from Tassie, or Brisbane or Perth at a local show :laugh: but I now have breeders that I know in all those places and more. I actually made contact with my younger girl's breeder through that group and she "knew" me and what sort of things I did with my dog through FB (over many months, obviously people can lie, but the things I was photographing couldn't be faked- i.e being at a dog show in the ring)

Most of all, be patient. I waited over a year for my younger girl, which isn't that long compared to some people! But I got exactly what I wanted, and a breeder who is happy with my plans.

My advice is do not discard or dismiss a breeder because they don't show.

Many breeders who do not show may have dogs that are suitable for show.

There may be many reasons why they don't show. Here are some.

They don't enjoy it.

They can't cope with grooming a show coat but can manage a tidy pet clip.

Location makes it difficult.

They have no one to help them manage gazebo/tents & carrying all that is needed.

They have problems tolerating weather conditions.

They may have transport or mobility problems that affect it, especially traveling distance

They are shy & not confident.

They can't cope with the competitive & political part.

They breed to a good standard of conformation, health & temperament but don't place much value on showing dogs.

I have seen many good dogs not in the ring that could be very successful, its just not everyones cup of tea so know your standard well which is much easier to judge if you can see dogs in pet clips.

Work in a groomers, even one day a week, that gets poodles in if possible, you will learn so much about conformation & its variations hands on & when they are in the bath

Much more than looking at a few immaculately show clipped groomed poodles at a show.

Once you understand what you are looking for you will know when you see a good prospect in a puppy.

Contrary to many opinions of other posts as I doubt you will be able to handle, help or get much time with people at shows. They are far too busy preparing & don't want their dogs touched. Its easier & more relaxed with short haired breeds generally.