Valium Dosage For Dogs?

My vet recommended I give Valium to Feather when she was showing signs of anxiety. She only weighs 8 kilos and he said to give her a 5mg tablet. I thought it seemed a hell of a lot for a little dog as that's a human sized dose. I did, and she survived although was staggering around like a drunkard when she tried to walk. She seems fine now but I'd like to know if it's normal to prescribe that much for a little dog.

My 10.2kg dog becomes totally hyperactive if she suffers any stomach discomfort. She's had a painful Pancreatitis attack in the past and stomach discomfort seems to jog her memory.

I give her 1/4 of a 5mg tablet and if she doesn't calm down within half an hour I give her another 1/4 of a 5mg tablet so 2.5mg in total.

She's only had this hyperactivity twice but that dose of Valium calms her down. I think if I gave her 5mg tablet she'd be out for the count for hours. Hell, 5mg of Valium would put me out for the count for quite some time.

No way, Kirislin. That is too much. I had valium for Myrtie to settle her when there were really bad electrical storms. She was 3.6kg and I would give her a quarter of a tablet. In no time, she'd be fine without any affects such as grogginess or being unsteady on her feet. I think to overdose is cruel because dogs can get very upset when they are unsteady and don't know which way is up and the problem may be being compounded.

I started using valium for Mrytie when visiting my brother during a storm and he asked his wife if she'd given their dog his valium. That dog was about 8kgs and he would get half a tablet.

For something like Feather is experiencing it is better to start off small and increase rather than the other way around. If someone is in chronic pain, sure, give a big dose, but for anxiety or similar, I believe you should start off with the lowest dose and increase if there isn't an improvement.

The dose range is quite broad so 5mg should be fine. It can affect different dogs in different ways so if 5mg is too much, try giving half a tablet.

ETA: Dose is 0.5-2mg per kg.

Edited by *kirty*

My vet recommended I give Valium to Feather when she was showing signs of anxiety. She only weighs 8 kilos and he said to give her a 5mg tablet. I thought it seemed a hell of a lot for a little dog as that's a human sized dose. I did, and she survived although was staggering around like a drunkard when she tried to walk. She seems fine now but I'd like to know if it's normal to prescribe that much for a little dog.

If a tablet made a dog of mine stagger like a drunkard, no way would I be giving him or her that dosage ----- no matter what the vet or others said.

Read any of the threads about medications in Off Topic and you will have people swearing by the efficacy of something and then someone else saying it made them sick. There are any number of stories like that.

Dogs are no different.

As Kirty has said the dose range for diazepam is quite wide and depends on the individual. Being very slightly wobbly is a good thing as it is indicative of a therapeutic dose (as it is a muscle relaxant) but it can be tweaked on repeat doses. It will wear off in a few hours. It is for this reason I always ask owners to supervise their pet for the first few doses of diazepam so we can monitor the response. If you start low, the dose can be repeated if there is little effect but this is not ideal if the stressor is already present, like a thunderstorm.

Edited by Rappie

I used to use Valium for really storm phobic dogs and it isn't so good for them with the side effects.

My vet changed to something that didn't make them so drowsy, more relaxed. It's also a human drug, can't think of the name of it.

Possibly alprazolam (Xanax) - it is now an S8 medication so more difficult to dispense for this purpose. When it was just an S4 I preferred it but was still cautious in dispensing it.

I recently had a dog in the kennels, possibly around 20kgs, maybe a little more. He had valium for anxiety and started on one tablet, did nothing, went up to two just took the edge of but still a bit wound up, was told he could have three per dose and he had it three times a day.

I have heard that dogs metabolise it differently to humans - therefore can take a much larger dose.

I claim no knowledge . . . but I once had a vet prescribe vallium for a dog who had had one grand mal seizure (never had a second) as a precaution for flying. Turns out that I opted not to use the vallium and she had no difficulty with the flight. But a friend who is something of a pill freak was super impressed by the amount of vallies the vet prescribed. Apparently it was far far more than the recreational dose for a pill popper.

Edited by sandgrubber

Monte was only a 9kilo pug and I was able to give him up to 4 x 10mg of diazepam, rectally, without issue.

He was zonked on 40mg but it wasn't a dangerous level as I understand it.

It never killed him or hurt him and he was given that dose on several occasions to stop his seizure clusters.

Valium is our preferred choice for anxious/stressed dogs. Ace is another commonly used drug but it can make them zonked, but still anxious

We used to use acepromozine as a relaxant before surgery on dogs. Not sure if this is still common practice?