Medical Misconceptions

Steph M

Just off the back of another thread I confessed I had taken Gus to the vet for a penile infection of some sort, he was leaking an awful coloured muck, so we went in and saw the vet student first up, poor guy was baffled and said they would take some swabs but he might call in the vet for a second opinion, vet walks in, takes one look and goes “….thats sperm”

Neither of us walked out of that room happy, at least they took pity on me and didn’t charge!

The other one that springs to mind is a groomer we took mums one eyed Shih Tzu too, I came out of a shop to 7 missed calls from the groomer and rang back in a panic, turns out she wanted to know if she had one eye when she came in… she thought it had somehow popped out in the bath, and wouldn’t let the water out in case she let it go down the plug hole….

I don’t know if she thought she could pop it back in or what, but she had one eye for about 5 years prior, it wasn’t a new wound by any stretch, and if it had popped out it was very neat and she was very quiet about it all….

Share your shame! I could use a laugh. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm embarrassed to say when I was last over visiting my sister in Alberta, she left me in charge of her two Westies.

They would curl up in bed with me at night.

I woke up one morning to smears in the bedclothes and a dog with a distended vulva and discharge. I raced little Pip to a 24 hour vet only to be educated on dog reproduction and charged $140.

SIL took her poodle to the Vet. SIL could see worms wriggling in the tummy.

She was horrified at the thought of her precious girl having worms.

Vet told me SIL was even MORE horrified when he advised worms were growing puppies.

Brain surgeon of a SIL asked how it happened!!!!!!

Yep, she had the (intact) brother to the bitch.

But you see, brother & sister dogs never mate together because that's wrong.

Vet dined out on that for ages.

:eek:

I did call the vet in hysterics saying my horse had a broken leg. Turned out to be a hoof abscess! Which do hurt obviously but isn't terminal. The vet was pretty good about it and said it happens a lot.

When Harry (greyhound) hadn't been with us for very long, I took him to the vet because he was panting excessively (I thought).

Vet checked him out, listened to his heart, took temp etc, then informed me that, being a greyhound, he had minimal body fat to insulate him from the heat, and being as it was the first hot weekend of the summer, he was cooling himself down.

My only consolation is that DH was just as worried as me, and Flash (great dane) wasn't panting as much, and at the time, I wasn't a very savvy greyhound Mum :doh:

The nipple thing from the other thread.. :o

To provide a bit of context.. we were at the vet anyway because he did actually have a large lump on his neck that was also darkly pigmented (which ended up being malignant). The other "lump" was something I'd noticed a few days before our appointment and I decided to mention it because.. well, it seemed likely that they were related.

So, the appointment rolls around and my vet looked at the actual lump and then asked me to point out the second one. I point it out. Vet asked me if I'm sure that was the lump. I said yes (thinking maybe he needed to get his glasses checked). Vet informs me that said lump is a nipple, followed by a very long, awkward silence.

When Dozer was a wee puppy we rushed him to the vets one morning as he had green snot coming out of one nostril and was not his usual terrible puppy..

He had a seed or something similar up his nose, yep we had the puppy equivalent of a toddler with a cocopop up his nose..

OH has also had a couple of freakouts about nipples

we inheirted a cat when our puppy was about 7 months old. the puppy was smaller than the cat at that time.

A few months later,, i took the cat to the vet and told her I was worried that the cat had lost a vast amount of weight since it came to live with us. It turned out the cat had actually put on weight, but the dog had grown up a bit, soit was larger than the cat. it was a matter of perspective :D

the vet was very kind about it.

My vet told me once about a lady came racing into the clinic with her young OES bitch thrashing about in her arms and the lady screaming that the dog is dying, bleeding to death........yep, the young bitch was having her first season. The dog was thrashing about just because of the panicked owner.

top this one though.......... I groom a dog whose owner rushed her to the vet one day as she was off color, bloated looking etc. only to be told the dog is pregnant. Turns out it happened several weeks earlier AT THE GROOMER!!! I now groom a puppy from the dilemma too. It's twice the size of its mother, and the groomer couldn't tell them what she bred with. So folks, there is a reason why I will not go cage free, will never mix dogs ever, and only groom one dog at a time. ...If ever I heard one!!!

Luckily a bestie is a vet nurse which saves me the embarrassment of my vet giving me the O.o look over his glasses. Like my panicked call to her about this weird lump Stan had on his throat when I first got him which turned out to be his voice box :o

On the nipple thing, one of the best stories from a vet (female) was an male owner who brought his male dog in with a mysterious lump. The vet told him it was a nipple, only to be informed that only females have nipples, so she was wrong. She then invited the owner to take of his shirt, look at his chest and tell her what he saw.

The owner left quietly.

I've had a few clients tell me they found out at the vet that their puppy wasn't exactly the sex they thought it was, so I guess there's plenty of mistaken identity happening in vet clinics everywhere!

On the nipple thing, one of the best stories from a vet (female) was an male owner who brought his male dog in with a mysterious lump. The vet told him it was a nipple, only to be informed that only females have nipples, so she was wrong. She then invited the owner to take of his shirt, look at his chest and tell her what he saw.

The owner left quietly.

And we have a winner :laugh:

The owner left quietly.

And we have a winner :laugh:

+++++1 hahahaha

I took in my girl one day to find out what was the small thing under her skin on her shoulder. I thought it might have been a splinter that she had picked up in one of her mad moments. Was her microchip! I had considered that but thought it wouldn't move after 4 years. Vet and I laughed, I wasn't charged and away we went.