Being Called 'rude' For Setting Clear Rules.

I set clear rules regarding my reactive girl and how I don't want people to go near her at an event we're having. She can't be kennelled due to her reactivity so she will be in a separate room with her crate, favourite bedding, Thundershirt, stuffed Kong, relaxing music and some DAP spray. She doesn't like strangers and will be more stressed due to changes (having driven two hours to be in a loud environment) even with the measures we're putting in place, I'm trying to put her welfare first and so have told people to leave her be. I don't want there to be any mistake about it, DON'T go near my dog!

I was just told I'm being rude about it? How is setting clear rules being rude? I'm doing everything in my power to make her experience as unstressful as possible and no doubt there'll be some nuffies who think OH COME ON YOUR DOG CANT BE THAT BAD and try to lavish her with attention, stressing her out more, and I don't want her to go through that and react badly ie nip someone.

I've a good mind just to stay home with her now, this party is super important as my partner recently came out as transgender and this is our way of celebrating, and we've done so much planning to try and make everything alright for Bonnie.

My first thought is your dog...your rules!

Will you be able to lock her in her room though? Id be worried if there's drinking at the event people may end up poking around and be like oh poor doggy, lets go pat her...

Id be tempted to put a sign on the door 'dog recovering from parvo virus, please don't enter' :o

Good luck for you and your partner, hopefully you can both relax and enjoy it :)

eek :(

rock : hard place .

my first instinct is to advise you stay home - let partner relax and soak up the good cheer and celebration - make a short video of your love & support they can play at the event , kick back & enjoy not having to panic about Bonnie .

.....it would be a disaster if 'something' occurred during the drive/event -

:hug:

I would be thinking pop her in a bedroom, not only will it be quieter but less dipshits. :)

Everyone wins!

Why do people need to be such jerks? Also huge congrats to your partner and to you as well! What a fab thing, and an awesome idea to celebrate it!

I got told I was rude once for yelling STOP at a little kid running across a driveway to pat my dog, he is quite friendly and no harm, but the old guy backing out of his driveway was more a risk. Silly mother still had the gall to tell me I was so rude and how dare I yell at her child. Admittedly kid was in tears, it was loud. Better than the alternative!

People are dumb, end of story.

problem is , dog will be somewhere strange, noisy , and not with her people . That alone is a stress- building situation .... without the strange people . Hopefully, should you decide to do this there is a lockable room!! people at a party - someone will try & go in the room - at some stage :(

She was going to be in a separate room as it was, there's no way of locking the door but I would have put a sign up asking people to leave her alone. Probably would have put something like a table in front of it.

There are always nuffies no matter how well behaved people claim they'll be, I'm super sick at the moment and just had a massive sob to my partner and told him there's a good chance I'll just stay home to save stress.

I told the other person I wasn't going to apologise for being clear about things and he pretty much said he's going to end the friendship in that case. Oh well, no skin off my nose.

Edited by Better Late

Maybe its the way you explained it .

Don't get me wrong i think you are ticking all the right boxes but sometimes i think we can be a tad "rude" in the way we explain things to people who don't understand & it becomes a big deal instead of a very simple deal .I personally would kennel the dog aswell,we board alot of dogs the same as yours with no issues at all.both parties are aware & the dog is not placed in a situation ,Would be much quieter & to be honest i think you are going to stress so much that the dog is going to feel it & be worse off plus you either want to go for this event or its all about the dog ,i guess if its going to be all about the dog then i would say don't go & make a scene & let your partner enjoy the time there .

Your dog will always have issues so you will need to decide on many more occasions whether life stops for an event or too because of the dog or looking at other ways to deal with it .

I guess you are lucky you can take the dog & have it crated in a room ,not many people would agree with that especially as there is a responsibility of care to dog & people attending

is there a trusted family friend etc to dog sit her at home that way no one will have access to her? Otherwise, i'd go with the car option if the weather is cool enough.

I try to be gentle with visitors when explaining my expectations of them with my dogs, but sometimes it hits on deaf ears; those people either don't get an invite back and we meet up elsewhere or i keep the dogs confined away from them.

is there a trusted family friend etc to dog sit her at home that way no one will have access to her?

This would be my choice. If there's no lock on the door you can be guaranteed at least a couple of drunks will go in there.

I'd be staying home with Bonnie Better but that is me. I can't leave Stella either because of her reactivity/ phobias & separation anxiety. She is a cot case on her own in unfamiliar surroundings. It honestly doesn't bother me as I'd only worry if I left her any where anyway.

You have every right to have rules for Annie or make suitable arrangements around her. That is part of being a responsible dog owner :) & I for one highly commend you for your dedication.

Edited by BC Crazy

I may be being super dense here -- or missed it completely -- but is there a reason your girl has to attend the party? What would happen if you left her home alone for the evening or is the poor girl just ultra stressed regardless? :(

I do commend you for putting your girl's needs first -- and no, you're not being strict/rude/whatever. Those who are suggesting it are just jerks.

is there a trusted family friend etc to dog sit her at home that way no one will have access to her?

This would be my choice. If there's no lock on the door you can be guaranteed at least a couple of drunks will go in there.

This is what I have been wondering, too.

No way would I be leaving her in a room that couldn't be locked. Party drinking/unlocked door/stressed dog = recipe for disaster.

I cannot imagine that you would be able to relax or enjoy yourself for one second and I think you and your partner need and deserve to be able to enjoy yourselves.

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is our first dog, and while we do love her to death we're just learning.

The only reason she would need to come with us is that our house is two hours away from where the party is and we have another family do the afternoon after, so it would be an overnight trip. She's stayed overnight at the house before but this is just another kettle of fish.

I've just come back from the doctors who have ordered more tests to find out if I have an underactive thyroid as I've been ill for the last three weeks, so I've just decided to stay home with the dog. Much easier for everyone.