Pumpkin Skin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just boiled pumpkin pieces and then seperated the skin after. I read that the goodies in the skin tolerates heat so which ever way you want to do it.

Edited by sas

I either boil them in a little bit of water or bake them. Either way, I always leave the skin on & we always eat the skin. I keep the water that I cook my vegies in & pour that on the dogs kibble. I quite like the flavour of the skin...it is quite nutty. I give the dogs the pumpkin & the skin. After this I will be giving it too them more often :)

I always eat the skin and so do my dogs. I didn't know of any possible health benefits from it, we all just like it. My boys also eat watermelon skin in the summer, they often like to leave it till it's completely brown and dessicated and then crunch it up like potato chips. It's the same family as pumpkins, I wonder if it has similar benefits.

How do you cook them? I always leave the skin on my pumpkin when I bake them but other than that what other way would you cook the skins? :/

My Labs are happy to eat pumpkin raw. You just need to slice it pretty thin. I sometimes peel pumpkin/winter squash before cooking. I just aim the peeler for the floor and the dogs clean up.

Actually, they eat all cucurbits (squash/pumpkin/cucumber family) raw.

Edited by sandgrubber

Anyone know the benefits of pumpkin seeds ?

Kirislin...I wouldn't be surprised if it applies to all cucurbits as they are all fruit which lay on the ground & have to have a natural defence against fungi, but the pumpkin has the harder skin & out of all the family, it resist the decay for longer. I have had pumpkins last for over 12 months. The thinner skinned ones don't last that well, like Japs & Butternuts

I wonder how much active ingredient is present in /obtained from, pumpkin skin eaten as food ? perhaps a dog would need to eat 1 kg to get any effect ???? :)

Not according to this person at training who was telling me about it. I think he just started adding it to her meal, like a normal serve. He has been at his wits end with his dog's red itchy feet & someone suggested this & it worked. He stopped giving it to her, to see what would happen & the red feet came back, then went again when he started feeding her the pumpkin skin again. I will ask more of him next time I see him.

Kirislin...I wouldn't be surprised if it applies to all cucurbits as they are all fruit which lay on the ground & have to have a natural defence against fungi, but the pumpkin has the harder skin & out of all the family, it resist the decay for longer. I have had pumpkins last for over 12 months. The thinner skinned ones don't last that well, like Japs & Butternuts

They're high in Omega 3's so wouldn't hurt to have them but you'd want to make sure you don't give to many in one sitting otherwise you might get soft poos.

I feed my boys as a matter of course a piece of pumpkin with their meal. I put the whole piece that I buy in the microwave and cut it into portions and store in the fridge ready for feeding. They love it.

That sounds so easy! How long and at what power level?

I have a microwave but have never cooked vegetables in it smile.gif

I feed my boys as a matter of course a piece of pumpkin with their meal. I put the whole piece that I buy in the microwave and cut it into portions and store in the fridge ready for feeding. They love it.

That sounds so easy! How long and at what power level?

I have a microwave but have never cooked vegetables in it smile.gif

Depends on the size of the pumpkin bought. I make sure it is fairly soft as I sometimes put supplements dug into the flesh.

They're high in Omega 3's so wouldn't hurt to have them but you'd want to make sure you don't give to many in one sitting otherwise you might get soft poos.

Pumpkin seeds can assist with worms. They do not replace wormers, but can help keep worms at bay

They do not replace wormers, but can help keep worms at bay

Doesn't seem to bother the worms in my garden and compost bin...?

I microwave potatos as an "I can't be stuffed cooking dinner" meal once or twice a week...

I usually scrub the skin and then stab it all over so the potato doesn't explode (no kidding - don't try that with your own microwave - and don't microwave a whole egg either), roll some paper towel around the potato - zap 2 to 3 minutes each side depending on size. Softer veg take less long and if you zap 10 bits of asparagus for 2 minutes they will catch fire. Oops.

But the easiest way with something big like quarter pumpkin is to zap for a couple of minutes and then test with a skewer then zap another couple of minutes... Tho I might actually chop it into smaller bits because it would cook more evenly faster.

But you don't get that nice roasted flavour doing that.